SR250 Bobber... whadda ya think?

noahdog

Been Around the Block
I know, I know I'm not even done with my KZ400 cafe and I'm already thinking about my next project. My first bike was a 1980 SR250 I picked up 2 years ago and restored to learn on. It's been sitting in my garage gathering dust since I bought the KZ after deciding the SR250 just wasn't the best platform for a cafe racer. Lately I've been really digging the bobber projects I've been following here on the forum. After seeing all the small cc bobbers lately I've begun to think about keeping the 250 and bobbing it. Here's a couple of pics to get an idea of what I have to work with.

P1050006.jpg

P1050009.jpg

P1050010.jpg

My thoughts are to either put 2" shorter shocks on or hard tail it. Solo seat and either use a Honda CB fender or take off the front fender and use it to wrap around the rear tire. I'd probably move the forks up a bit through the triple tree to lower the front end and maybe some fork gators.

What do you guys think?

Hell yeah keep that sucker. Good looking scoot and it will make a real nice bob. Go after it man. Nothing wrong with two projects at once ;D

I really like those little sr250. I bought one for my wife to ride, it was flattened by a transport at work. Bought a 2nd one because she loved the look of it. The first one still runs, just the ass end is pooched. Now it'll be my track bike. Enough about me ::)

I would hard tail it, get rid of the starter seeing how you've got a kickstart, (you lucky dog), get a smaller battery, then a solo seat with a tire hugging rear fender. my $.02.

If you keep the swingarm I'd be tempted to stretch it a little bit to lower the ass some.

Jay

jay_kent said:
I really like those little sr250. I bought one for my wife to ride, it was flattened by a transport at work. Bought a 2nd one because she loved the look of it. The first one still runs, just the ass end is pooched. Now it'll be my track bike. Enough about me ::)

I would hard tail it, get rid of the starter seeing how you've got a kickstart, (you lucky dog), get a smaller battery, then a solo seat with a tire hugging rear fender. my $.02.

If you keep the swingarm I'd be tempted to stretch it a little bit to lower the ass some.

Jay

Really there wasn't really any luck involved. ;) The SR250 never came stock with a kicker but it's dirt bike twin brother the TT250 did so I collected all the necessary parts and installed them last winter. Damn good thing I did too since the first time I went to start it last spring the electric starter crapped out.

I really have no idea where to begin as far as hard tailing it goes. If anyone has any specific suggestions or recommendations based on the pics above I'd love to hear them.

Ideally I'd like to lower the top frame rails to match the profile of the side covers and either hard tail it or lower the shock mounts and stretch the swing arm.

noahdog said:
Really there wasn't really any luck involved. ;) The SR250 never came stock with a kicker but it's dirt bike twin brother the TT250 did so I collected all the necessary parts and installed them last winter. Damn good thing I did too since the first time I went to start it last spring the electric starter crapped out.

I really have no idea where to begin as far as hard tailing it goes. If anyone has any specific suggestions or recommendations based on the pics above I'd love to hear them.

Ideally I'd like to lower the top frame rails to match the profile of the side covers and either hard tail it or lower the shock mounts and stretch the swing arm.

How difficult was it to install the kicker? I want to do that to mine so i can get rid of the battery.

Installing was easy, finding all the parts was the hard part. Go to www.powersportspro.com and look up the parts diagrams for the TT250 for all the part #s and then start searching Ebay for the parts.

noahdog said:
Installing was easy, finding all the parts was the hard part. Go to www.powersportspro.com and look up the parts diagrams for the TT250 for all the part #s and then start searching Ebay for the parts.

Will do thanks! Just need to cross refrence with the sr500 to make sure i can run without a battery.

looks nice .any chance of seein someone 6foot tall sat onit so i can get an idea of size.cheers nabz.

nabzy said:
looks nice .any chance of seein someone 6foot tall sat onit so i can get an idea of size.cheers nabz.

I'm 5' 11" is that close enough? ;) The bike feels pretty small when I'm on it which is one of the reasons I'm thinking of chopping the rear off and making it a solo seat bobber. I'll try to get a pic of me sitting on the bike and post it.

join deviant1 and i!!!! we are both building 250's albeit hondas but whatever! :) they will make fun little putters...

Hey dude, nice idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out. There's a guy who did a sr250 bobber on youtube red tank. check it out unless you've already done so.

I've got an SR250 too with a build on DTT but it's semi-stalled lately. I most likely will be upping my front wheel size so if you need a 19" sr250 radaelli rim give us a yell.

Good luck with the rest of it! :)

noahdog said:
do you match the years for the bikes? or what years will suit a 85 sr?

Back
Top Bottom