2001 Yamaha SR250 - Cafe Racer (Sydney)

Cool build man, doesn't look too bad at all. Hope the clearcoat works out for you, those shiny tanks are awesome! Another way of getting around it is simply waxing the bare metal with buff-on wax such as Turtle Wax. The proper hard stuff, too, not that cheating liquid crap. Do a coat a week for a month, it should really withstand some beating then! Hit it up with another coat every 3 months at the very least to keep it looking shiny.

How the hell do you get 140 out of that thing?

We're talking kilometers per hour here, man. Translates as 85mph ;)

Cheers - boingk

Wabba said:
I AM thinking Kph... Still worried :D

Hahaha! Oh well... And yes, you'd probably better check the top end. Replace the rings, get a new top-end bearing, and check the valve clearances while you've got everything out.

Cheers - boingk

Shouldn't be too hard, I've gotten my wife's un-refressed 1983 sr250 to 115 kph and I'm 5'11" 215lbs. lol.

bike is coming along good bud. I've got a spare kicking around that i'll be building for the track over the winter so I'll be keeping watch on you.

What are you planning to do with the exhaust? That original double piped pee shooter got me thinking (check my build for pic). Come up with something cool so I can copy it :D

Nose Diving Stance: 19" Front Rim --------> 21"

Nose Diving Stance: 19" Front Rim --------> 21"
2001sr250.jpg

I think I'll be buying a new 21" rim because the Avons are too short and the firestones are too tall. I need to find 2.2" to make up for the difference so that the bike stance is flat. this isn't 100% yet. I need to make add in the fact that I'll be lowering the bike afterwards... This is a massive pain because I have just started putting the front wheel back together. I suppose finding out now saved me from taking it apart all over again...

My criteria for a new front rim:
- 21"+
- Same number of spoke holes as stock (to match my hub)
- Similar shape as stock rim
- Similar width as stock rim

Anything else I need to look out for??

p.s. I can't hit 140 kilometers per hour. The bike is in a garage being built... I've read claims that it can. Sorry to dissapoint any SR250 owners out there.

Re: Nose Diving Stance: 19" Front Rim --------> 21"

Hummingbird said:
Anything else I need to look out for??

You might find that a 21" rim on the front will have clearance issues with the bottom triple clamp under braking.

Re: Nose Diving Stance: 19" Front Rim --------> 21"

hillsy said:
You might find that a 21" rim on the front will have clearance issues with the bottom triple clamp under braking.

Hey Hillsy, you mean as it is? or if I lower the bike and get a 21" rim?

Is there way I can test or find out out how much (approximate inches) my front forks will collapse by under soft and hard braking?

I dropped my front as far as I could, maybe about 1 1/2 inch and the horn hits already the fender. Also the more forward based weight, because of the cafe racer riding position vs the old damn ape hanger position, makes the front dive even more. My bike leaves about 1cm between the front fender and the exhaust under "oh god" braking, another place where the clearance will be VERY tight, I didn't even think about that first. Had to bend the horn out of the way also.

Lock the front brake and pump the shocks, if nothing touches, you'd be fine I'd say.

P.S. Valves done, carb tuned, +1 front -> 120 km/h+ Feel lthe speed! :)

SR250 Cafe Racer

2001sr250avonspeedmaste.jpg

- Front will be 0.2" lower than rear
- Flatter stance
- 5.4" of clearance (before the tyre rubs triple tree)
- Yet to measure if the header pipe, engine or horn will be rubbed.

So, I have 5.4" of give during hard braking. The question still remains, what does 5.4" mean???

Maybe I can estimate when I cut the fork springs (measure how long the spring if it were collapsed).

I can't see your photo (I'm at work ::)), but if you have the front end together, jack up the front of the bike and remove the fork springs. Now lift the front wheel, or lower the bike (carefully!) and when the forks bottom out, THAT is the lowest postion the front end will ever be in. Check your clearances from there.

Hey people,

Tinkered some more with the SR250 over the Christmas holidays. Some cool progress which is good, but before she's on the road there's still a small list of things to do.

Engine got rebuilt at the mechanic. Bolted back onto the bike. New gaskets ordered from Yamaha (Bikebiz Parramatta) and installed. Kick start parts all sourced and is installed and turns the engine over. Kick start arm was off an XS650 which needed to be grinded and filed to prevent rubbing against the side case. Electric start is still inside (can they coexist?). Front wheel rebuilt with 21" rim and new spokes (thanks to Chivos in Granville). Gloss black powdercoat treatment on the rim, brake disc, drum brake and a bucket of miscellaneous levers and mounts (thanks to Chris from www.cravedcoatings.com).

Swing arm got touched up with paint, bushings and caps got polished up and back on nice and tight with the chain on and bearings lubed. What is acceptable chain slack? I've got about 4 cm range from when the chain is stretched up and down. Realised I need to remove/modify the kick stand because my rear tyre is in the way (and nothing can come in the way of that tyre). Probably will just remove it for the mean time and re-weld a new bridge inside the 'A' shape stand and find a shorter spring (for the new tight fit).

Welded a loop to the rear seat frame. A mate lent me his tube bender and managed to get a near 'U' shape bend. After some cutting, aligning, welding, grinding and much repetition of these steps it began to look alright. Structurally probably not the best weld since the tubes weren't flush jointed nor chamfered nor MIG welded so the weld might not be "deep" enough or flush enough to make a structurally perfect weld, but it shouldn't matter too much with this being more a cosmetic frame modification. Not sure if it will have any dramas with engineer inspection stuff for rego?

Wiring is a remaining pain in the ass yet to be fully figured out. Installing the kick start and removing the battery has confused me a bit as to where the wiring was when I last left off. Light's and stuff used to work, now shit isn't turning on. Once the wiring is connected properly I hope I'll hear her purr again.

I've been reading up on capacitators or 'Battery Lessers' but they all seem to suggest a medicore supplement for a real battery (be it acid or gel) with lights flickering, blinkers not responding, electricity draining too quick, holding no charge, pumping too much current randomly which wil require resistors etc etc... well at least from what I've read and according the Kiwis in this forum (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/74475-Yamaha-XT550-regulator/page2?s=c085df89126eb76f31b4b66c778444b7) there's just so much debate...

Here's the pictures. The rest are stuck on my iPhone. Putting em up soon!

sr250kickstart.jpg

sr250k.jpg

img2100hp.jpg

img2099u.jpg

img2098r.jpg

img2105jp.jpg

img2102mk.jpg

img2107i.jpg

img2106g.jpg

img2103d.jpg

img2094i.jpg

img0477fx.jpg

img0479d.jpg

img0484h.jpg

img0473i.jpg

img0470b.jpg

img0459ch.jpg

img0457fv.jpg

img0456a.jpg

Fabricated a new headlight mount that sticks further out than the mount the light came with. The wires and cables are subsequently tidier with less rubbing from the previous tight squeeze. Usual drill, grinded, filed, sanded and painted in satin black. Though the light does angle out to the left a tad, so might straighten it out later on.

Made this nifty indicator mount that attaches to the lower engine mount. It now holds my regulator/rectifier underneath the bike, just out of plain sight but still will get plenty of air to cool it down. Love it.

Made a new speedo mount to sit in front of the top bridge. Not what I originally planned. I wanted a side mount speedo, sitting just above my knee, but my stock tank is too wide for it and it would rub the bars/horn switch when turning. Maybe when the Wassal tank comes I'll play around with it and see what I come up with.

Bought a bunch of stuff lately.

Capacitor 8,000 Uf, 25v from Element 14
I wanted something with higher Uf but I want to tuck everything under the seat, so size was a concern. I'll give this one a go and see if I have any issues before considering an upgrade. The worst I've read about from an under rated cap is the flickering of the head light when the revs are low when idling and when indicators and brake light takes power.

Electrical Connectors from Vintage Connections
Got a heap of different bullet connectors, plugs and some 3M electrical tape. Having enough connectors makes rebuilding the wiring harness less risky - When you stuff something up. A new crimp tool is HIGHLY recommended. Using a crappy tool that was lying around the garage and it sucks ass (I've got bloody hand cramps), might hit up JayCar to grab a better one. The package came in weeks time, not bad. It's all quality stuff so... yeah I recommend Vintage Connections if you're after OEM type connectors. Didn't really buy into the idea of their kits because I had a rough idea of what I needed.

Anyone bought anything from John Turk? Apparently they wholesale electrical stuff. Need to buy some new thin wires and the local JayCar is hopeless.

Wassall Tank
It took me a year and half to track this baby down. I'd seen it before but had no idea it was a vintage after market Triumph part. The whole time I'd assumed it was something completely custom made. Apparently there's a genuine article with made in Britain stamped on the inside of the tank etc. There's similar versions from Hap Jones.

The tank's nice but not in the best shape, rusty, dented etc just from being 40 years old and used I suppose. I might cut the tank in half, hammer out the dents and donate my stock tank's tunnel to it.

After grinding and sanding the paint back, I discovered "MADE IN ENGLAND" stamped inside - Score! Really happy it's the genuine article. At the same time, that explains the numerous dings it has. There was a shitload of filler used on this tank, I'm talking about a 1 cm coating all over. Luckily there weren't any holes in the tank. I probably will load it up with the same amount of filler incase there's hairline cracks that I can't see. All those dents have got to weak points, right?

There's about 3 layers of paint, white, fluorescent yellow, and black which either points to a previous owner that was high on acid with multiple personality disorder OR just dates back the history of these tanks used for board track racing.

Gas Tank Cap
Bought a low profile cap that screws in with a lock. Not sure if it will work with the Wassall, again just wait and see, maybe buy a new bung and weld it on. From memory the cap was 44mm. Scoping out these bungs - http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/Tanks2.html, http://aaok.com/tank-bung-screw-type-sold-each.html. This cap looks fucking sick, wouldn't mind one of these
140.jpg
Here's more... http://www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-Gas-cap-1-bin.html

I asked a few of these bung retailers, they said Harley bungs are usually standard. I screwed the cap into the Wassell tank and it fit! Well, on the inside hole anyway, since the outside flange is for British style caps.

The question now is, do I buy a VENTED or NON-VENTED fuel tank bung. I think the vented ones will allow the cap to screw completely in until it locks, where as the non-vented ones have a stopper that prevents the cap from going in too far so as to 'vent' the fuel? Apparently vented is better but I don't understand why? My stock SR250 tank is just a hole (non-vented) and the Wassall is the same (non-vented). Don't you need the cap to be tight as hell so it creates a vacuum for the fuel to pump through the petcock??

Wassell Tank - Sidelined

Wassell Tank - Sidelined

The Wassell tank was so exciting but has become a minor let down. Ok, probably a major let down :( The point is, it just takes too much work. Work that I can't really do on my own, and I also can't afford.

The tunnel 'fits' width and height wise, but I failed to take into account all the electrical stuff I have stuffed under the tank running down to the seat area. The tunnel area on the stock tank is huuuge compared to the tunnel on the Wassell, that's literally just a tunnel. No room for coil, no room for relays, not even room for the electrics' tiny mounts.

If I am to mount the Wassell properly I'll need to:
- Widen the tunnel by 2 cm to allow the flush C shaped mounts with the rubbers.
- Weld on a new fuel bung.
- Find a 1960's petcock and reattach it.
- OR Patch up the petcock aread (because the Wassell petcock sits too far back) and transfer the stock petcock over.
- Weld seat mount probably transferring part of the stock mount over.

I need expert help because if I stuff up, I'll have destroyed a previously immaculate SR250 tank that will have huge holes where the mounts used to be and a possibly destroyed Wassell tank with all the niceties missing like bung, petcock, vintage brazed mounts, and that branded tunnel. Not good! haha

Here's some videos of a pro doing the work. Keep in mind the dyno style tank he's working on has a flat base, which is more straight forward... it's also a blank canvas tank...

bottom & tunnel fitting

cutting bung holes

tank mounts

Then again, it's quite sacrilegious to waste a 50 year old vintage Wassell tank on a measly SR250. I wouldn't be surprised if I was offending a cult group of Triumph lovers. Yeah, if I can't gather the funds for professional tank welding labour, i'll give it a miss and save the Wassell for a future project. :'(

IMG_1841.jpg

For Sale: 1960's Vintage Shoei Helmet on Ebay

Selling my helmet to scrape some funds so I can finish this bike off. You guys should see the pile of empty boxes I've saved from stuff I've bought for her... There's more box than bike. I guess it's that buyers remorse from impulse buying parts online and letting that anxiety turn into a hoarding disorder hahaha... "just in case this part I ordered doesn't fit, I'll keep the box and... I dunno, sell it". Anyway, it's a wicked vintage helmet that would fit right at home on your trophy shelf. If you use it on the road, I'd recommend professional relining and probably saving it for uber short trips.

The Ebay Ad: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260731936138&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Sorry peeps, haven't made a post for yonx... Thanks for all that checked out my helmet, helped gather some more funds so I could finish the wiring amongst other things!

Been doing a million different things at once - Doing tasks in parallel, shitty project management mentality in my opinion, no idea why they taught me that in school. But when things like paint is drying, weld is cooling, filler is drying, battery is charging, I have to make use of time and just do something else eh...

Wassel Tank is up, needs some more body work and clean coat of paint most likely will get it 2packed - CHECK IT OUT HERE: SR250 Cafe Racer: Custom Fuel Tank - Wassel Banana

Electrics are 80% complete, it all works. Running on a Capacitor only, no battery anymore, no more electrics box (which is for sale if anyone's running electric start). Need to re-route a few wires. Figure out a combination that doesn't make my speedo light turn off when shes got her headlight on. Gotta heat shrink everything.

Engine runs and kick start works. Now I bloody resent my neighbours and they hate me. Can't start my bike for 30 seconds without them yelling. CHECK IT OUT HERE: SR250 Cafe Racer: She's Alive!

Cheers,
Damo

Ripped out all the electric start related wires. Fully triple checked everything before I did it...Was REAL worried that I ruined the electrics, but alas she ran.

I also adjusted the valve clearances and the carb, it sounds an incey bit better, but something's no right... What's that sound??? Sounds dry... Maybe it's the pipe, I dunno. I'll chuck the muffler back on later and see...

Here's the video - SR250 Cafe Racer: Kick Start Means Less Electrics

REGO - Side Mounted Number Plates

I think this post may have died hahaha... Anyway, for those who are following...

REGO - Side Mounted Number Plates

Does anyone know the rules on side mounted number plates in NSW, Australia?

The tail light will be on the fender. But, I'm thinking of mounting the number plate seperately on the left side. Probably will black out the tail light's white light and make a seperate white light for the number plate. Would this be legal? I know people that have already done it and get away with it on the road, but what are rules for this? Do lights and plate HAVE to be together?

Your plate has to have a light on it (a clear one), but it doesn't have to be under the tail light.

The plate must be visible at a 45 degree angle from either side of the rear of the vehicle. And I'm pretty sure you must have the plate upright (a mate of mine got pinged in QLD for having his side-mounted - and on it's side).

But then again, it probably depends on the "interpretation" by the officer if / when he pulls you over........ ::)

hillsy said:
Your plate has to have a light on it (a clear one), but it doesn't have to be under the tail light.

The plate must be visible at a 45 degree angle from either side of the rear of the vehicle. And I'm pretty sure you must have the plate upright (a mate of mine got pinged in QLD for having his side-mounted - and on it's side).

But then again, it probably depends on the "interpretation" by the officer if / when he pulls you over........ ::)

Clear Light - Check
45 Degree Angle - Will try to do...
Upright plate - Not a chance... Does that mean upright letters? or the plate can't be bent?

Yeah, I'll be completely relying on the cop's 'interpretation' of the law eh!

Back
Top Bottom