A day of freebies! (KZ250)

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
My Dad's neighbor is remodeling his kitchen and he GAVE me all of his old oak-framed cabinets for my garage. Sweeet!
Well, while we were unloading the cabinets, Dad gets a phone call from a friend of his. He's at a local diner and a guy there is hauling some stuff to the dump. In the back is this FREE KZ250.

Of course, there's no title, but if this little thing is worth messing with, that can be overcome (any of you guys in non-title states listening...hint, hint?). The motor is stuck, but I'm soaking it with PB Blaster. I really haven't messed with it.
What do you guys know about these little bikes? Are they rugged? Easy to work on? Parts availability?

I already have a stock '75 XS650 and a '71 CB500. I was thinking, if I can get a title, that I could sell a couple of XS650 projects I have and build a bare bones cafe out of this thing. Minimal wiring, head/brake light only, clip-ons, no fenders, etc. It should be cheap to insure and fun for blasting around town.

Or, I could just throw it on Craigslist for $50 and get it out of my garage.
Opinions?

PC040004Medium.jpg

meh, do what you want.

titles can be a bitch.

would be fun to race though... not sure what classes are available for it?

id start by ripping that junk off it. fenders, lights, bars, chain guard rear rack to start. clean it up.

if the motor doesnt break loose, pull it and see whats up in there. if the cylinders are done id say sell it for parts, although overbore pistons shouldnt be hard to find.

Strip it and cafe the fuck out of it. Titles aren't that hard to get, you just need to find out what hoops to jump through.
Down here in Louisiana, getting a title issued on my DS7 cost me about $80 and two weeks worth of filling out papers, talking to judges, a state inspection, and waiting for the background search to verify it wasn't stolen. Your state may be different though, so I'd check on the process before sinking any serious money into the project.

Sweet little bike man. I rescued my SR250 from a trip to the scrapyard. It took me a couple trips to the Secretary or State here in Michigan to square a title away, but all in all it wasn't too difficult. I say strip it down and make something to jokey around town on, I love little bikes like this.

Back
Top Bottom