Norton Atlas experiences

krafty

Dyslexics of the World - Untie!
I've been given the opportunity to take a very nice, original (minus the rear fender, but I have access to one) '66 Norton Atlas as a partial trade for some pretty extensive restoration work I'm doing on a guy's car. I've got pictures and he's an honest guy, so I don't have any qualms about actually getting something of value out of this deal. The big question is - how are those big twin Atlases? I've heard that they vibrate quite significantly (hence the featherbed frame) and aren't exactly a comfortable ride. Because the bike is about 8 hours away, across an international border as well, I don't have an opportunity to ride it before I have to make a decision about this.

I see wildly varying values on these as well. The "shop rate" at which I'd be trading him would come out to around $3600. I'm not so much worried about that as I just would like a bike that I think I'd actually enjoy riding. I would keep it bone-stock since it really is a nice bike. New rubbers and ride.

i have a few and they are fun to ride here and there

while they do shake and i would no longer pick it to ride long distance i did when i was a kid lol

check the year and numbers matching for engine frame and trans

Of my fathers 30+ Brit bikes, his 67 Atlas is my favorite. I like Commandos just fine. But a well sorted Atlas is a fantastic machine. Yes, they vibrate. But man, they handle well. I learned street riding on his Atlas and still borrow it often. If you get a running/tittled Atlas for 3500 worth of work, its a steal!

BTW, you mentioned having access to a rear fender. If you pass on the bike, I need that fender.

Thanks for the replies. I have sort of struck the deal (we talked about it at length yesterday) but the bike won't probably be in my hands before next spring or summer.

Speedfiend, he supposedly has 2 other fenders, both of which will probably need some work but are not hacked. If I get the extra one I'll be happy to pass it along. I'll try to remember to talk to him about those the next time we speak.

i forgot to mention the money part lol you are getting a great deal

i had a left over norton atlas rolling chassis good complete frame matching motor complete that turned over and had compression good mag

some carbs in a box ? front end on the bike ect

but no primary case clutch or trans chain ect

i sold it to a guy in houston who paid me 2500 for the roller and shipped it to houston

and that was 4 years ago

Krafty, sounds like those fenders are in the same shape as the ones we've got. They tend to crack. I was hoping to find a secret stash of NOS, so's I didn't have to re chrome.

Glad to hear you've got a deal. Hope it goes thru!

Back
Top Bottom