Cafe XV920R Mega-Build

Working on the tail section. I was able to make a subframe tail section out of tubing. It also ties the rear of the frame to the billet parts for added strength. I am going to add some pieces to the back of the tail section to fill it in. The muffler will run under the tail and exit at both sides of the rear part of it. This part is removable so I could make other tail sections later on to give the bike a whole different look.

Attachments

• XV subframe a.jpg
    XV subframe a.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 505
  • XV subframe b.jpg
    XV subframe b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 506
  • XV subframe c.jpg
    XV subframe c.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 537
That's pretty solid man. I dig it, did you mig weld that all up? What size tubing did you use?

I love that tail you are building.. How did you get those bends? Just heat or do you have a bender?

Luugo86 said:
That's pretty solid man. I dig it, did you mig weld that all up? What size tubing did you use?
I did mig weld the subframe still have to finish up a couple of welds though. I used 3/4" tubing.

canyoncarver said:
I love that tail you are building.. How did you get those bends? Just heat or do you have a bender?
I have a tube bender. I did have to weld several bends together in places because some of the bends were to close together and would not fit in the bender. I also used a press in a couple of spots to tweak some of the pieces to try and keep both sides symmetrical.

Made a seat pan out of fiberglass. I taped everything off first and laid down several layers of mat. After it hardened I shaped it to fit. I'm sure I'll be itching for a bit, but happy with how it came out. Just need to add a couple of mounts then I'll glue in and shape the seat foam.

Attachments

• XV seat c.jpg
    XV seat c.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 447
  • XV seat b.jpg
    XV seat b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 457
  • XV seat a.jpg
    XV seat a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 468
I did some more work on the seat. I glued in several pieces of foam and shaped it to form. I then covered it with a final thin layer of foam mat that helped keep it all together. I'll probably wait till I get closer to finishing the bike to get it upholstered so I don't have to worry about damaging it.

Attachments

• XV seat a.jpg
    XV seat a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 461
  • XV seat b.jpg
    XV seat b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 458
MORK said:
I hope this one didn't fade into obscurity. I have been liking where it's going.
Just stalled a bit on progress haven't had much time to work on it lately. I did make some panels that fit into the sub-frame have a couple pics of that. I also started on my under tail muffler I'll take some pics and post that soon.

Attachments

• XV subframe d.jpg
    XV subframe d.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 417
  • XV subframe e.jpg
    XV subframe e.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 402
  • XV subframe f.jpg
    XV subframe f.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 416
Really like the way that's looking, great work.

I see all these virago build with tons of "go fast" bits like modern suspension etc... but what about the motor, I seem to remember them feeling lazy and wheezy (tractor or diesel like). I only rode one a couple times but i always felt the motor just didn't "do it" for me... I guess my question to you virago guys is more about what guys are doing to liven up the power and make it rev a bit more?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

dakine_surf said:
Really like the way that's looking, great work.

I see all these virago build with tons of "go fast" bits like modern suspension etc... but what about the motor, I seem to remember them feeling lazy and wheezy (tractor or diesel like). I only rode one a couple times but i always felt the motor just didn't "do it" for me... I guess my question to you virago guys is more about what guys are doing to liven up the power and make it rev a bit more?

The virago motor makes a great street motor because it has a lot of torque. Never intended to race this bike but many guys have built the Yamaha TR1 to race which is essentially the XV920R. Same motor as the Virago only chain drive. There are several hop up parts for this motor, pistons, cams, carbs. I am planning on doing mods to mine.
Most guys that build Virago's just want something that looks cool and can ride on the street, plus I think this motor has a great look to it. But if you want more HP it is available at a price.

Yeah I remembered it was good right off idle to about 3.4-4 and then just started to trail off and make more noise and not much else until about 6.5.

I sure some cams and more compression would liven things up a bit... I agree, it's a great looking motor especially with the modern suspension just "hanging" off either end

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom