No power above half throttle

Jayowen

Just replaced spark plug caps and wires. Cleaned emulsion tubes. Still getting spark. Idles great just no power with a twist of the wrist. Just bogs down. It's a 76 cb550f any help would be awesome

You leave more questions unanswered. It sounds like you have a carburetor issue, but you didn't mention what you are running for air filters. Is it smoking at full throttle?
Have you fouled the plugs? Have you done a complete tune up and checked the ignition timing?

Just checked static timing, points gap, valve clearance. Running uni pods. Was running rich before cleaning emulsion tubes. Now it doesn't foul the plugs but has no power up top

+1 on timing light. If it's not that just make sure the petcock hasn't taken a dump and left you with just a trickle of fuel or gas cap suction. Only takes one turn and the petcock is suddenly bad.

Spark advancer only advancing 2-3. 1-4 not advancing. Can I fix the one I have or should I get a replacement?

if 2-3 are advancing so are the others the mechanics of the advancer diktate this
the advancer is a very simple mechanism and advances all at the same time

Set timing at full advance for 2-3 first, then 1-4. Then go back and check 2-3, then check 1-4 to ensure everything stayed where you wanted it.

If the advancer is working for 2-3, then that means it is also working for 1-4. The issue is that 1-4 is not timed properly.

Hmmm, how do you time 2, 3 and 1, 4 separate on a single cam motocicleta? is that with the 1-4 marks: are for :eek:

Attachments

• 550 timming marks.JPG
    550 timming marks.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 550
So the timing light shows perfect advance for 2-3 but little to no advance on 1-4. Anything that would cause that? Possibly bad coil?

eachset of points have adjusatble crank postition this determines each set of point advance astatis points gap set eaqailly

1,4 is static, gap adjust only... 2,3 has a separate rotator plate for adjusting gap and crank position

So still having trouble getting 1-4 advance. 2-3 is flawless with timing light. Checked float height and it was way off. Like 30+mm. So with that it runs better but still sputters around 3-4 to full throttle.

Back
Top Bottom