Engine rebuild quote UPDATE

CaferacerMO

Been Around the Block
Today is a sad day boys and girls.
After fighting running problems for months, I realized I need to rebuild my top end on my kz200.
How hard is this to do for an average mechanic?
I've done all the building on my bike myself, but I'm new to motors..
Also how much would it cost me to rebuild, I got quoted an estimate of 600 for the rebuild.
Thanks guys.

Re: Engine rebuild quote

easy to do yourself and should be rather cheap depending on what you replace. just takes some time and a good manual

Agreed. Every engine builder started with a first. Like anything else, you'll learn from it and be better for the next one. Take your time, if you have a question, someone out there will answer it. Good luck, and let us know when she is Goin again =)

Thank you for all of the feedback guys!
I think im going to go ahead and do it myself especially since I'm about to go to school for this stuff! (MTI)
How much money would you guys say I'll save as opposed to the 600 dollar quote I got?

Another question Id better ask is what is everything I'll need for a top end replacement?

Depends on what you mean by "top end". Does it just need rings, or are the valves bad? Is the cam shot? Cylinder walls need a hone or a rebore and new pistons? Get where I'm going?

Its shooting 60 pounds of compression.
I believe it needs a new Piston, rings, and a valve job.

Easy stuff. Simple hand tools, some new parts and some patience. Spend the couple bucks and have the valves done by a pro.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171812867824?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Will this work for me okay?

Not unless you plan on spending some coin at a machine shop for a bore job.

If you just need rings, find a STD.

Ought to be able to get away with around $40-50 a hole for a bore job, if that's the direction you want to go.

Why won't that piston work?
It says it's stock for my bike.
Thanks for all the feedback guys by the way, much appreciated!

CaferacerMO said:
Could I bore the cylinder head .50mm to compensate?

unless the bore you have now is not worn it is inddead your best option iow fresh bore and piston to fit,the key is finding a very good small engine machinist that can do the job properly

if you plan to keep the bike, have the cylinder professionally measured . . you most likely need a rebore.

if you plan to sell it and there is no ridge on the top of the cylinder then just use a bottle brush hone or 3 blade hone on it to get the proper cross hatch.

you can see if the valves are leaking by spraying carb cleaner in one port at a time then looking at the valve to see if it is leaking or weeping . . ideally there should be nothing.

Back
Top Bottom