1973 Triumph T140 (video on page 5)

Re: 1973 Triumph T140 (frame up build)

MJPriceisright said:
seems like you have one smart mentor, best way to learn is to dive right in. and all the better its free.. i just find myself nickel and diming to death when i get into something like that, gaskets here, circlips there, missing bolts, replacing bolts.. haha

yep, that's basically what I started with and it adds up. If you go all british bearings and things it'll be over $1500 easy.

IMG_8750.jpg

Now THAT gives ME a boner!
Good luck to you man, you do have your work cut out for you but like your mentor says, don't loose your fous. Peaks and Pits, it will all come together some day

nice build! saw your strugglingwith the paint removal, dont you have anywhere close that powdercoats? i had my oif done for 150 bucks in gloss black including the paint removal! (which is essentially sticking it in a burnoff oven.)

nodoze said:
nice build! saw your strugglingwith the paint removal, dont you have anywhere close that powdercoats? i had my oif done for 150 bucks in gloss black including the paint removal! (which is essentially sticking it in a burnoff oven.)

I suppose I could have found a place to do that, but so far I'm in this project at $17 (can of aircraft stripper). I'm going to get as far along as I can on my very low budget ($400 or so) until there will come a point where the only way to move forward is to sell my other bike to fund the rest of this one, so I plan on having a sad gap in my life, where I'll have no bike... I have no idea how long this build will take, but it'd be pretty convenient if I could go through January or so without a bike, because that's when California gets the closet to being cold out... Like I've said though, I have a really amazing connection for parts, and I've been quoted $1,300 to $1,500 to complete this bike, tires and all.

IMG_8750.jpg

Regarding this mess, I bought a case of beer, some gloves, and cleaner, and I invited an old friend over this wednesday. He helped me build an engine for a 1957 Chevy when we were in high school, and he's been my go to for changing my oil or brake pads for the past 10 years. Haven't spoken much this year. We're going to catch up while scrubbing and sorting a box of engine parts, and having a few frosty ones...

AndrewDoesHair said:
I have a really amazing connection for parts, and I've been quoted $1,300 to $1,500 to complete this bike, tires and all.

I get parts at cost and could never get a budget down that small, but good luck to you. Not trying to rain on a parade or anything, just offering some experience to the mix.

Should be do able , I have less than 1k into my build most of it being the powder coating.g around 260 into powder coat , a couple hundred for engine parts and a couple hundred for misc tig bits I had lost and carb rebuild . But I mainly refurbished everything myself

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

WeberKid said:
I get parts at cost and could never get a budget down that small, but good luck to you. Not trying to rain on a parade or anything, just offering some experience to the mix.

It's appreciated.

I'm really not going to have to buy a lot. I have the frame, engine, forks, bars, headlight, gauges, and wheels. I'll need to buy like, a battery, tires, fluids, etc. I'm going to be doing the painting myself (frame has plenty of bondo work, can't really get it powder coated, I hear).

This is how it's sitting today.
537253_560029264017945_747462040_n.jpg

I need to get in there with some simple green and scrub the engine parts (who has the time for any of this!?), also need to redo the bondo job that I melted with the aircraft stripper, then primer the frame. Not going to do the final paint work until after we have it all assembled, to test fit everything. We're going to have to weld on new tank mounts (been removed) and stand mounts (been removed). The seat section has been shortened considerably by the previous owner, and he had put in a sheet of steel between the back wheel area and the engine area, I don't know if it was going to be done with no fender, in that case, or what he had in mind...

But I have decided that this is absolutely gorgeous, and I pretty much want to emulate the look of this beauty, but with a less pretty paint job (probably going to keep the original banged up paint that's on the tank I have (1970) or paint it flat black, myself.. This is going to be more of an exercise in learning the innards of the engine, than in doing a neat, clean paint job... I'll make a neat, pretty bike sometime down the road...
575872_560031507351054_1999795680_n.jpg

Glad to see you init for the longhalle of a project like this, with the parts you have you should have all the hard and $$$$$$$ to find bits
Ill be watching

SCRUBBING!!!
482724_563425893678282_1438280929_n.jpg

Quite time consuming, but it's not a terribly messy task (gloves, etc, not a ton of splattering), or hard to clean up at the end of a session, so I should be able to fit in quick rounds of scrubbing between work and my other duties. Shouldn't be long, now!

I sprayed primer on the frame... I should have the engine assembled within the next few weeks. This bike is going to be pretty beat up looking- I know I could (and many would say I should) put a ton of time into a perfect paint job, and all those little details, but I am getting this bike in a unique way, and it's lending to the aesthetic already...
IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

I know I've already mentioned this, but my friend has been riding for like 40 years, and he has a collection of about 50 British bikes- he could give me one and not even know it was gone. But what he's doing for me instead is making me build this bike with him. I spend late nights in his garage, hearing stories about the old days, when he was homeless with only his motorbike to his name. I hear about when he owned a garage for a living, and I hear about when he raced motorbikes for a living. The guy actually lived what it is that us young hipsters are trying to emulate with these kinds of bikes, so to be able to build one with him is an unbelievable honor. Now, he has piles and piles of old parts in a barn, and this bike has so far been pieced together from these parts. He's walked me through his barn and pointed at a pile of forks, saying "those ones would work." Then pointing at wheels with cobwebs on them "those'll do, but you'll probably want to have them powder coated"

When we began this I was drooling over all of his minty clean bikes, but after hunting down parts and pricing out what I'd be spending, I decided I'd rather buy some scuffed up old bits for 1/4 of the price of getting shiny new ones. He goes "you want to put THAT on this bike? Heck, you can just have that rusty old thing..." This may sound crazy to some, to opt for beat old parts when nicer ones are available, but when you look at this here tank, your soul understands what a bike like this is all about.
IMG_0992.jpg

Granted, it may seem fake that I didn't personally abuse these items, but there are a few factors that make me feel okay about riding such a bike. I want to spend as little money as possible, I want to invest all of the little time I have on the mechanical tasks (rather than on the finish work), and I don't want the bike to look like it might be worth anything (I will have to park it outside when I get it home- I have no garage). I don't want to put an ounce of effort or funds into anything that isn't necessary to make the bike fast or loud.

you sure the tank will fit over the backbone? I can't tell from the picture, but it looks pre-OIF to me.

WeberKid said:
you sure the tank will fit over the backbone? I can't tell from the picture, but it looks pre-OIF to me.
Oh, I mean, I'm not using this tank pictured- just one like it. Beat up, old, used, and loved.

"Needs wheels to be a motorbike... Let's go out to the wheel shed and see what we've got..."
IMG_1529.jpg

"Motorbike needs a tank for gas, if you want it to go, right? Here, today you get to learn how to use a bead blaster..."
IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

So I figure I'll put the engine about right here...
IMG_1548.jpg

It's practically a motorcycle already!
IMG_1553.jpg

So far I've stripped and painted a frame, scrubbed engine parts, and bead blasted a rusty tank and wheels... As promised, my mentor hasn't done anything yet. I went into this thinking "sure, he says I'll be doing the work, but I bet I do it wrong, he pushes me out of the way, then he does it all for me..." Hasn't been the case yet. I already feel accomplished, and we're only just getting started!

So a few of the engine pieces were painted red, to match the paint I'd stripped off the frame, and the Hagon shocks are also a matching red, so I figure I'll paint the tank black with a red accents... I'll do the fender(s) the same way. The guy who started this frame before it was mine threw this piece of metal in the place of a rear fender, but I'm undecided on whether or not I want to go with that... I really like the look of these OIF Triumphs with solo seats and rear fenders...
IMG_1235.jpg

Actually, that top left guy is exactly what I have in mind for this bike, colors and all...

So I just sold my other bike, the 1980 Suzuki... I have no bike now, and a stack of cash burning a hole in my pocket... Super motivated to complete this!

Back
Top Bottom