1981 Yamaha SR 250 tracker build

kpancher

Hey everybody, I'm very new to this forum, have only been browsing it since I bought my Exciter in February. I would love some help from everyone here since it seems that everyone knows a lot about this stuff. Some background; this is my first motorcycle, I bought it for about $200. It's a Yamaha Exciter 250 with only 8800 original miles on it. It starts great every time, and has given me no problems thus far. The only thing is, I wanna chop the living crap out of it since it is completely stock. Here's what I have done so far: replaced the front rim since the original had a dent in it from the PO, taken out the carb with the help from a friend and cleaned it thoroughly, and stripped the tank (pictured) since I'd like to paint it white. However since this project is in it's very early stages, I need some opinions and suggestions on what to do next. I've managed to strip about 3 screws trying to get the crankcase off just to polish it. I forget the username of the gentleman that created the tracker "Mexico" but I'd love to model it after something like his.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you so much guys!

Attachments

• 20150625_133440.jpg
    20150625_133440.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 291
  • 20150627_134720.jpg
    20150627_134720.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 288
Looks like a good start mate! I got an 82 sr250 recently too and have pretty similar plans. Keen to see how you go!

Thanks! Excited to start ordering parts and slapped some paint on it. Have you started to dig in to the electrical on the bike yet?

Having trouble with the aftermarket turn signals....they will light up but not blink. However the stock turn signals work just fine so I'm assuming its not the flasher....any tips?

Are they LED? If so, there may not be enough electrical draw on the flasher to flash. Best remedy in this case is to replace the OEM flasher with an electronic one that flashes regardless of bulb load.

Back
Top Bottom