Brush paint a frame

novacafe

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any success with brush painting a frame? It is something i have been thinking about for a while...and just the fact that i lack anywhere to spray at the moment is the main reason, on another form there was someone who said they have done a number of frames by hand with a brush with POR15 and have had good results with no brush marks at all...he supposedly has been a body and paint guy for 20 years....but who knows. anyway just curious is all.

I don't know of anyone that's done it but if you thin the paint and use several thin coats it will self level and you should be just fine. Its just going to be tricky to get just the right thickness to self level without running on the odd shapes of a frame

They all were done by brush early last century.
Thin out the enamel, brush in long strokes and as Sonic said, it does self level.
But...........that was then and this is now.
Even a rattle can is a better finish than that.
Up to you at the end of the day, good luck mate if you decide that's the way to go and post up pics for us all.
Cheers

try to do it in low humidity as well dont do it in the garage during winter.
also make sure you get a good quality brush or you will swearing left and right when the bristles start falling out on the frame.

While its doable....It cant be that hard to find somewhere to hang a frame and hit it with appliance epoxy. It takes 15 minutes and barely makes a mess. You can easily do it outside on a calm day.

Outside is fine to spray as long as it isn't windy. but another thought is to use a hammered finish paint and it will have 0 brush strokes and it looks cool on frames. I have done 2 with hammered finish and one was brush do to no indoor spraying allowed and it was -30 C outside, the other I sprayed it before weather go too cold. Side by side, can't tell which was spray and which was brushed. also the hammered paint it tough shit.

Cheers

SONIC. said:
While its doable....It cant be that hard to find somewhere to hang a frame and hit it with appliance epoxy. It takes 15 minutes and barely makes a mess. You can easily do it outside on a calm day.

Word.

VHT Chassis Paint (same as appliance epoxy)
paint03.JPG

thanks for the input, i think i will test it on the swing arm or batt box and then decide from there, oh and is it just my t500 titan or were the welds on all the frames messy as hell, man and those plates up by the headstock look like they were cut and welded by me.....i dont weld...yet

Yeah, all old factoey welds are a bit sloppy. And these dudes are right, spray the frame. Doesnt take much time at all and will give you a way better finish.

POR 15 can most definitely be brushed on and not leave brush marks. Its a thick paint and it flows out very well. We have done a few truck frames and undercarriages with it with great luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom