Progress - motor work - Project 73 CL175

Re: NEW - Project Little Brother 73 CL175

dcmspikes said:
so the stroke is the same (if i remember correctly) and obviously the bore is larger (which is why i want to use them), but the wrist pins are larger in the 200cc pistons. the connecting rods do not have enough material to bore for the 200 wrist pins. no idea if i could use 200cc connecting rods. if you have any ideas, on how to fit a big pin in a small hole, please let me know. so my plan is to just hone the cylinders and use new rings and pistons(if neccesary). i will probably deck the head to add a little compression and will also be smoothing out the intake/exhaust ports. im lagging on all of this and need to get this bike back together.

don't resurface the head unless you absolutely have to, it drops the cam down closer tithe crankshaft which in turn retards cam timing slightly, remember the chain is a direct connection from gear to gear so by tightening the chain tensioner all yourdoing is getting rid of slack in the chain, your cam timing will always be off unless you do adjustable cam gears.

forcefanajd said:
don't resurface the head unless you absolutely have to, it drops the cam down closer tithe crankshaft which in turn retards cam timing slightly, remember the chain is a direct connection from gear to gear so by tightening the chain tensioner all yourdoing is getting rid of slack in the chain, your cam timing will always be off unless you do adjustable cam gears.

I was wondering about this as well, the tech on batemanracing.com mentions decking the head .02", but doesn't mention anything about the timing. So you think the bump in compression wouldn't be enough to more then offset the loss of power from retarding the cams?

how would it affect timing?
you're not changing the amount of teeth on either sprocket, and a chain is just a direct link - the amount of links has no bearing on the timing.
regardless of how long the chain is, the cam sprocket will always spin twice for each rev of the crank... unless you add/remove teeth
in other words (more relevant to this thread) the distance between cam and crank has nothing to do with timing whatsoever. right?

would there just be extra slack in the chain, which the tensioner would take care of?

yep - unsure about the specifics with a cl175, the tensioner should be enough but you may want to remove a link or replace it with a shorter chain to begin with...
mind you, if you're only milling off .05" or whatever off the head, i doubt you'd need to.

i'm going the other way on my build... i'm boring it out but maintaining standard stroke. without porting my combustion chamber, i'll have too high a compression ratio so i'll need to space it somehow - I'm thinking a copper plate in addition to the standard gasket between the jug and the head. problem then becomes that my chain's too short, so i'll have to think of something when the time comes...

i still need to put things together to see how much room i have to spare before i deck anything. dont want any pistons crashing in to valves

Any progress? Im getting along slow with mine. Need to see some fellow accomplishment

real slow. i made a template for the electrics tray. but still need to cut the aluminum. i have 50 other projects and im a procrastinator, but im getting some stuff done here and there.

Buggin again. Get at er! Its the year of the 175! Everybodys doing it.

Curbcast said:
Buggin again. Get at er! Its the year of the 175! Everybodys doing it.
Serously man, there is a million of em'. They are kick ass little bikes though. Id love to get one in the shop for some super custom stuff someday.

von have you sat on both a 350 & 175? What is the tallness difference?

Never rode a 175, but from searching around a bit it seems that the 175s stock seat height is 31.5" and the 350s is 31.3", there is no difference in height in stock form. Why do you ask?

Im tall. Just curious on the feel of the 350 compared. I want to get another bike, might just get another 175

Curbcast said:
Im tall. Just curious on the feel of the 350 compared. I want to get another bike, might just get another 175
I can tell you that the 350 is a bit wider (barely) and nearly 80lbs heavier. I would guess that it feels very different...

Its also 25mph faster... (Sorry for the hijack, ill stop now :-X)

dcmspikes said:
real slow. i made a template for the electrics tray. but still need to cut the aluminum. i have 50 other projects and im a procrastinator, but im getting some stuff done here and there.

what did you do for the template on the electrics tray. i just had my motor mounting bolts get eaten from zep rust remover so i'm heading to b&b supply next week to try and find some bolts. we have to link up we are both laggers haha. what are you doing on the seat?

ive actually been making some progress. i cut and bent a piece of aliuminum for the tray, but i cant fit it between the weird stamped frame. so ill have to make adjustments. i cut some triples out of wood and everything looks like it will fit. hopefully cut some triples out of aluminum this weekend. need to weld a few pieces to hold the seat up. should be real easy. i think i have a line on some aluminum wheels for a great price. my wheels must have a hit a curb, which would explain the bent triples. give me a ring this weekend.

finally made progress

ok so i got in to my brother's machine shop yesterday. i didnt finish, but i got a big start on my new triples. this 175 now has cb360 forks. not by preference really. just found some and figured they would be an upgrade from the 31mm originals.

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

obviously i still have lots if cutting and trimming to do. now im just looking for the bearing sizes so i can upgrade to tapers. i am using the original steering stem. i pressed it in to the new lower triple.

Seems like a really nice upgrade. How hard was it to do? If you could make a couple more there might be a little market for them

just this far took me about eight hours in the shop. im learning. lots of measuring and boring things and a few thousands at a time. still have many hours left to cut them to their finish shapes

Back
Top Bottom