Progress - motor work - Project 73 CL175

Re: Progress - New Rubber Mounted - Project 73 CL175

well thanks to all of you that are accomplishing things. i am getting my ass in gear. did some head work. ported, valves lapped, and at 6 thousands i wouldnt considered it decked, but its flat now. also start drilling some holes and played with some more bondo

hoyer002-1.jpg

hoyer003-1.jpg

Looks great. Those holes are well placed. What are ya doing with bondo? I've been using it a lot lately on my tank project. That shit gets old quick!

Hey, im interested in hearing any tips you have about the head work. Im about to do some to one of my heads for my ca95 project

Deviant1 said:
Looks great. Those holes are well placed. What are ya doing with bondo? I've been using it a lot lately on my tank project. That shit gets old quick!

thanks. planning out where to put the holes took me almost as long as drilling. still think im going to make new motor mounts out of aluminum. the bondo is going on the seat. still have a few more passes to go, but its getting there.

Tortron said:
Hey, im interested in hearing any tips you have about the head work. Im about to do some to one of my heads for my ca95 project

well it might seem like i know what im doing, but im really just wingin it. again my brother just clues me in on ways to gain performance and i tackle what i think i can. the porting was hard because of how small the openings are, but i think ive made a positive change in the flow. the original castings had pockets right behind the cylinder on the intakes. i opened the intake so that they no longer will catch fuel/air before entering the cylinder. i figure at +/- 14HP how much damage could i do?

so i just got back from machining my cam shaft. my brother(again) gives me all these bright ideas. so i put the cam on a lathe and machined the shaft to remove some weight and smooth the casting. it turns out that the casting was really far out of round. i think i took off .030" and also about the same from the gear face as well. it weighs a full ounce less and should be much better balanced now.

hoyer005.jpg

The heads look great DCM - along with the camshaft. I thought about doing that to mine, but I don't trust the lathes where I work.

Either way, you'd be surprised how much a small change can make a big difference on a these! Mine ran like crap with dual mufflers, putting on the 2-1 helped a lot.

hey did you get new gaskets? ill be needing a set soon. there are some on ebay. you have any suggestions?

dcmspikes said:
well it might seem like i know what im doing, but im really just wingin it.

Story of every build i have ever done ;)

Am hoping to pick up a bench top lathe and see what parts i can ruin.
Did you consider an adjustable cam shaft while it was on the lathe?

Tortron said:
Did you consider an adjustable cam shaft while it was on the lathe?

i did. i saw it done on the Bateman site. i really dont know much about tuning so i opted to keep it stock. maybe some day if i really grow to like this little thing ill go back in and tinker some more.

dcmspikes said:
hey did you get new gaskets? ill be needing a set soon. there are some on ebay. you have any suggestions?

Yes, I did. I couldn't find any for the sloper 175, had to get a set for the vertical and make my own for the sidecovers. The only real suggestion is don't throw any of the old ones away (too little, too late?) until you mate them up to the new ones.

And Tortron, the best thing about having your own lathe is that you can always make a new part if you ruin one!

sorry no pics. just wanted to do a quick update cuz ive actually been doing things. got the rear springs back together, got the oil filter open (huge PITA, but was actually easy just thread aan 8mm bolt back in to where you just took out the 6mm) got some primer on the seat. next is sanding and filling the seat some more, awaiting gaskets. still trying to get the generator off so i can remove the starter gear. anyone have a trick to keep the crank from rotating while trying to undo the generator bolt?

again no pics. but more progress. just have to make a spacer for the starter gear that im getting rid of and a new cam chain and the motor goes back together. then the real fun starts, making controls and figuring out how to set my seat and all that fun stuff. ill post pics next time.

no updates. my camera stopped working and ive been working and riding a my kz650. i need to put this motor back together. too many projects at once. thanks for the interest

Back
Top Bottom