1st Build--79' Suzuki GS550

JamiT

Here it is! I bought it with 7,000 miles on it. I took it on a little trip and hit a mud patch so that's why it's dirty lol Not 100% stock but that's fine. Runs pretty well (not awesome due to carbs sync needs probably). Tires are almost brand new. From what I've read, the first things I want to go ahead and upgrade are suspension and brakes. I want to lower it and add some clip-ons? My triple tree and controls need a little TLC as well. I'm limited due to not having a shop and no welding skills. But I'm sure I can find ways to get things done. What do you guys see? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5334.JPG
    IMG_5334.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_5335.JPG
    IMG_5335.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_5336.JPG
    IMG_5336.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_5337.JPG
    IMG_5337.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_5338.JPG
    IMG_5338.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_5341.JPG
    IMG_5341.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_5343.JPG
    IMG_5343.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Wow - first thing you need are tyres that wont kill you.

Are the forks / neck bent? Front wheel looks kinda close to the headers.

Rear wheel looks skew in the swingarm or the swingarm is bent.

Rear shocks look stuffed.

Dont "lower" it.

Thanks hillsy for the input. After playing with the bike's left side, it's definitely the shock (hence the photo and plans to upgrade). And I didn't straighten the handlebars for the photo so the front end looks off but my forks are fine. I'm planning on selling the tires to grab some for the road as well. Then the brakes. Then aesthetics of the look I want.

Like Hilsy said, the rear end of the bike looks twisted. I don't think a bent shock would account for all that mis-alignment the rear photo seems to show. Have you taken both shocks off and looked to see if the wheel squares up that way? Get a tape measure and/or a yardstick, get the bike on a level surface up in the center stand and start measuring from various points on the bike to the ground. Lower shock mounts, upper shock mounts would be the first place to start. Compare side to side, they all should be very close.
In that one photo, even the tailpiece and seat appear off a bit when you sight down the top towards the front. The right peg is quite bent. Any scuffs on the right side of the bike that might indicate it fell on that side? The swingarm is stout enough that a bent shock alone should cause any twist in the wheel. I'd be wondering how the shock got so messed up.

You really need to pull the seat and tail section off and set that bike up on the centerstand. As pointed out above, something is seriously tweaked. Do you have a small level and tape measure at your disposal?

If you look close, it seems the axle is not "as" tweaked as the wheel... maybe someone has been scrambling with this sucker and slid into a rut hard... you know like bunny hoping the bmx and caving the spokes over.

Anyway, get it inside and strip er down, start measuring and checking things over.

If the PO did (insert stupid thng here) and it was enough to mangle that shock Tuna is right in thinking that the spokes are banged up too. You may have a real (but repairable) job on your hands.

Yea I appreciate you guys letting me know the deal. Total noob move on my part lol I'm going to strip it down asap and get some levels. I'll get some more pics out soon. Thanks again

GS's are cool bikes, I'm working on a 750 now. Good advice here so far. Address those issues and get her running right before you do any cosmetic upgrades.

Check out http://www.thegsresources.com for a wealth of technical info & help for your GS. Just don't tell them you are considering building a cafe racer.

Well that does suck, but... A frame with a swinger can be had and you can get it all painted up while you work on the mechanics of the rest... really not a low blow if you planned to pull it down anyway.

Yea I went ahead and got some frame shopping going. What do you guys think on this one?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1979-Suzuki-GS550E-Frame-/371539282960?nav=SEARCH

The spokes on my rear wheel have also been pretty much shot.

Frame looks OK but it only has a bill of sale so you want to do some homework on getting it titled.

That frame is a great deal.. hope you can get title, I know bill of sale is all you need in many places and the older the better.

Tune-A-Fish said:
That frame is a great deal.. hope you can get title, I know bill of sale is all you need in many places and the older the better.
Not a single picture of the eBay frame shows whether it is straight or gay.

This thread feels like another jwilde adventure.

forgot to ship the clamp and bracket, it's coming.

Yea I noticed that DohcBikes. I requested additional photos of the frame that would show it's straight. I know it's a long shot, but it's worth a try. Unless someone else finds a frame that I can buy. Also, I have a 14-day return policy alongside the Money Back Guarantee. But I'll make sure I get more photos before I even consider buying. The thread will get better soon. No worries!

Back
Top Bottom