72 CB350 For the Daughter

If you want me to do some photoshop mock ups let me know. I'd be happy to help. No reason to keep printing and cutting paper. Then you could experiment with colors too. Maybe something like ghosting to keep it subtle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thrillseeker said:
Maybe something like ghosting to keep it subtle

That's exactly what I was thinking. Its a large graphic so if you tone down the contrast between the two paint colours it will probably look better.

So I was re-reading (probably for the 100th time) the story behind the Honda wing logo. http://www.onlytrial.com/1/the_honda_logotype_120282.html

I have been thinking that maybe the logo I picked out might not be the best fit. Then it kind of hit me. What if I did a variant of the first time the wings made an appearance. I haven't seen or even heard of anyone even thinking about doing that. Maybe cut out the dudes and put a little bit of space between each feather.

A thought could also be to make the figures feminine since it was originally based off of a goddess.

I have these visions of old school hood ornaments in my head. Like the 39/40 Packard (Goddess of Speed), 30 Isotta-Franchini 8A, The Bentley Flying B (could make the B into an H), Spirit of Ectasy aka The Flying Lady of Rolls Royce. Plymouth had one as well, but I can't remember what vehicle(s) it was on.

HerrDeacon said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Its a large graphic so if you tone down the contrast between the two paint colours it will probably look better.

My $0.02: I like the third out of six as well---and yes...with toned down contrast it will not overpower. I also like how it's 'anchored' to the tank edge, AND that it creates that arc up and back over your seat hump. I also like the size - to me it proportions well with the seat hump.

Took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather today and got a little painting in. Also managed to prep the wheels to be painted tomorrow. I can see those being a major pain.

Picked up a new to me compressor this morning. It was a little uneasy feeling once we got it loaded onto the trailer. We were worried about it being so top heavy and the trailer was only 4' wide. However, it barely moved moved once on the road.

All strapped down.

Say hello to my little friend.

Wired it up, changed the oil, and she fired right up and built pressure. The drain valve leaked a little bit, but since I planned on replacing it with an extension and ball valve so I wouldn't have to reach under the tank to drain moisture out of it I wasn't worried. Completed that and I have it sitting with pressure in it right now. I will check it tomorrow to see if it has any leaks. It came with a regulator, but no separator.

I love that original style logo. It's reminiscent of an earlier age of style and grace. And it's different. It may be hard to make it work with the tank shape, but could be subtle - as in say light metallic on a dark base, or bold like the original.

A small verion exactly like teh original would work and any size outline would also work. I'm liking where you are taking it.

Thanks teazer. I really like the turn I took with the logo. Thrillseeker sent me a sketch today and I really liked what I saw.

Spent a part of the day hooking up some air lines to the blast cabinet and one to the front of the garage. Nothing permanent, but it will get me by until I can get all the necessary water separators and full plumbing in place.

Finished painting the wheels today. I still need to go back and and get rid of the little bit of paint that seeped past the tape and do a final polish, but for the most part they are done. I still have the caps that cover the rivets and I am going to have them painted green to match the tank.

I was able to get one side of one wheel finished polished today. I can't wait to start investing in some decent tools now that I have a compressor that will run them. If I put more than just a touch of pressure on the die grinder I am using it bogs down which makes it take longer than it should to get the desired result. There is little to no torque on that thing.

I had what I hope is a great thought last night. Knowing what a pain it is to get the rear stand under the swingarm on my CB in order to do any maintenance I thought why not use the lower bolt where the shocks attach to the swingarm. I could put a spool there and secure it with a longer bolt. Vortex makes a spool that uses a 10mm bolt (which is what the shocks use to attach to the swingarm) that has a bit of a standoff and isn't unsightly that should work.

71qXBR9CkUL._SX355_.jpg

Finished polishing the wheels. Thankfully that is done. Afterwards I installed the bearings. Also cleaned the wheel end caps and removed the paint from them. Took care of a number of other little things. They moved my daughter to day shift so it is harder for her to do any personal projects. I am hopeful we can slip in next Friday evening and get everything powder coated. I am getting real close to being at a stopping point until I can get the powder coating done.

Tubes and tires have been ordered and received. Shocks and levers (brake/clutch) have been ordered. Now I am back to fighting myself with the electrical. The housings on the SV controls aren't as nice other set I have. I believe the other set is from a GSXR, but which one? They look identical to the 2004/2005 GSXR600/750, but the wiring schematic doesn't match up to the wires at the connectors. After a lot of looking and comparing wiring schematics and some help from a GSXR forum I think I figured it out. There was an undocumented change in 2005 to the 600/750's. The right switch has two extra wires and the starter button changed from a SPST to a DPDT. One of the extra wires connects to the left switch kill power to the headlight during cranking.

I need to semi assemble the bike to see what cables I need to order. With the clip-ons I don't know if the stock cable lengths will work or not. Typically the cables would be a bit long, but since I am mounting the clip-ons differently than normal I am not sure. I don't want a lot of extra cable hanging out.

Built a half ass enclosure so I could do a final blast to the frame. It worked fairly well. I had to sweep up the blast media 4 times and probably lost about 10 percent each time. Now all I need to do is wipe it down and tape off what I don't want powder coat on.

It is about the little things. My levers arrived today so I promptly put them on their respective mounts.

I received some good news yesterday. Thrillseeker sent me a picture of what he has done to the tank logo. They are going to look absolutely stunning. I would post the pic, but I want to build up some suspense.

Things have been pretty slow lately, but a lot of parts are now in the hands of the powder coater. I should hopefully have them back by next weekend.

All I need to do is tap the holes and clean the ground spots. It seems like a lot, but most of it won't even really be seen.

Back
Top Bottom