1973 CB500 resto-mod

Waiting on mirrors, and there's minor tweaking to do, including possibly dyno tuning, but this one's basically DONE!

Here's a vid. You may notice I was having trouble shifting into 3rd gear. I'm having an issue with the 400F shifter. I can't seem to adjust the "slop" or free play out of the linkage. It's moving WAY too much before moving the shift shaft.
I'm not sure what's going on, as this is the 3rd bike I've used them on. I referred to my old pics and such but can't seem to figure it out. The good news is that I have all the stock parts and, when I slapped on a stock peg and shifter, everything works just fine. I might just clean up/detail/paint/polish the stock stuff and use it for now. I'm anxious to get it out of the neighborhood and get some shakedown miles on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPmFqV65lk4

Because of work, getting sick, etc., I've managed to put a grand total of about 13 miles on this bike since finishing it. :-\

Initial impressions:

- The R6 front end, iKon shocks and Avon tires give an AMAZING ride and really good handling.
- The jetting is really close, but I think I can get it better. I'm trying to schedule some dyno tuning.
- The reproduction style 14mm master cylinder has a somewhat soft feel at the lever, but the brakes are really, really good. I'm talking two-finger good. EBC pads up front, EBC shoes out back. Drilling that hole on the brake arm for better leverage is noticeable, too. Very good brakes all around.
- The pipes aren't as loud as I expected, especially after hearing Flatlander's review. Nice growl, rips alittle at higher RPM.
- It's comfy. The NOS seat and 400F bars give me a nice riding position. Especially with the nice suspension. In the past, when I've seen pics of me on a 500/550, I've always thought "Gee, that bike doesn't feel as small as it looks in that pic". The Honda middleweights really "fit", to me.

I cant get over the stock tail lights but thats just me. The bike looks great. The forks blend right in with the oem+ look. The pipes are awesome and I want one of those gauges.

The tail light isn't stock.... exactly.....

It's a CL350 tail light that I had chromed. Same style as stock, but much smaller. It's all about being subtle. ;)

Out and about. Getting closer and closer on the carb tuning. First tank got me 40 MPG, which isn't bad considering all the fiddling I've been doing with the carbs. Picked up a new timing light and double checked the timing. It's dead on at full advance on both coils. Got the mixture screws back out to closer to where they should be. Running pretty good, too!

Rode it up to Cyclemania - Charlotte today. Took the back way in and put another 100 miles on her. Ran great. It has a really nice mid-range and pulls well at 4K and above. I took it to 7k for a couple of quick bursts on the way home. I still have just under 300 miles on it so I'm gradually increasing the revs.
I haven't looked at the plugs yet, but it seems to run well. I got about 37 MPG on the last fill up, which isn't too bad. Could maybe be a little better. Haven't looked at plugs again. Gonna let her cool down first.
Speaking of cooling down, as soon as I hopped off and removed my helmet and gloves, I hit it with the IR temp gun. I'm getting about 235 on the cylinders, 260 on the head and the exhausts were 385-400 right at the exhaust port and the bend. I've found that bend is always the hottest part on any bike. Just a few inches down the headers and the temps drop to 350-365. I don't think that's bad, seeing as I just rode it an hour home and it's not exactly cool out today.

Parked next to this nice CB750. Is that any of you guys?

Swapped out the aftermarket mirrors for genuine Honda. MUCH better as far as vibration, and the actually sit lower and slightly wider, which really cleans up the lines too, IMO.

Also added a little HRC "bling".

Just love the way it turned out, if I do say so myself.

This bike is up for Bike of the Month over at SOHC4.net. I'm up against some TOUGH competition, and it's always hard for a 500/550 to beat a 750. If any of you are also member there, I sure would appreciate your vote!

Out putzing around on the bike today and was struck by inspiration for a photo op. Some of you will get the inside joke here.....

Bike is running good. Still trying to rack up the miles so I can get it on the dyno. I don't expect it to make huge numbers; this will mostly be for tuning purposes.
It doesn't pull quite as hard up top as I feel it should. But it runs clean, plugs look good and it runs CRAZY cool. Don't know if it's the tune, the vapor blasted head and cylinders, the coatings or what.
The pipes are also loud. Maybe it just sounds like it's revving really hard. I just know that once it gets to around 7K it seems to slow down in revs. Maybe a faulty tach reading...I dunno. It'll get to 80 or 90 pretty easy, though!

The only thing I've really done to other than ride it is add some genuine Honda mirrors and a little HRC bling to the brake reservoir.

Still enjoying this one, too. Runs even better after a valve adjustment and slight timing advance. It's loud, has great brakes and a nice suspension, and I sure like looking at it. It doesn't feel that fast anymore, as I get into newer and newer bikes, but it sure fits well and is fun to ride.

Back
Top Bottom