So my girl got hit

Helve

Eucalyptus
Woke up from to a text from a neighbor that my bike had been "moved" off the street and onto the grass by some guys doing construction around the corner. Got dressed, went down and saw her leaned up against a fence. As soon as I saw her a man came out from the house. "Is this your bike?" "Yeah." "The guy you want to talk to is inside, I'll get him." Guy came out, said he was pulling his truck (F550 Dumper) into the driveway and couldn't see the bike. He clipped the left side, dragged it a ways and then it came crashing down on the right. We exchanged info, he was super apologetic and I could tell it was an honest mistake. Things happen, accidents are called accidents for a reason, and this is why we have insurance.

Well, because it was a business vehicle he had business insurance. What a crock of shit. Two weeks later and they're just now giving me the news that they're totaling the vehicle. Oh, and they're now willing to get me a rental car. Estimated value of my bike ('75 CB500T) is $2500. Not sure if there's going to be any additional compensation offered for my time (missed school and work), as well as the general inconvenience and headache that goes along with a wrecked bike. So I'm curious; anyone else been in a similar situation? How was it handled and what can I expect as far as total compensation? Should I prepare to go to litigation? $2500 seems like a bit of a lowball on the value of the bike. Just over 19,000 Miles, almost entirely original, new top end, new tires, etc.

Not having a bike is driving me crazy at the moment. Usually getting on the bike is my escape from the real world. I had been planning a solo camping trip for the end of the week and was getting all geared up when the bike got wrecked. I guess I need to start looking for a new steed.

Sorry to hear this. Ive never been in your position. I would gather up every receipt you got into her and present them.

Also sorry to hear this.

Gather receipts as "Trek" said.
Compare other owners asking price to get a ball park price. Locally and further away!
Stand your ground and fight for a fair price.

Additional cost will be very hard to get. But it can be accomplished with niceness.

Keep us posted.

Most important, your girl is ok!

Show them prices for bikes in the PNW (Seattle/Portland) Bikes up here instantly have a 25% mark-up for some reason. Otherwise, same as everyone else, receipts. That's your best bet. Also, don't accept blue book value, you fight for replacement value, 9 times out of 10, replacement value is higher because it takes into account the market value and the "interest value" i.e. the value people are selling/paying for them on the open market. I wouldn't sign anything without someone who speaks lawyer present either. Best of luck man, shitty situation.

Seconding what folks have said about receipts, and looking for the same model in the same condition and what they are selling for. When an insurance companies offers you something, they're hoping you take it and walk, but you should always argue it and ask for more -- you'll almost always get it if it's reasonable, they don't want to go to court (but they also know that you don't want to go to court).

If they total the bike, you should be able to buy it back from them for a small fraction of your settlement. You'll get a salvage title, but you can keep your bike.

Sucks it got knocked down, but at least you're going to be compensated. I've had friends who have had their bikes totaled by someone who hit and run it at night, and that truly sucks.

Shitty luck bro. This is where having your classic bike appraised is worth the $200 to do so. Sure, an appraisal is only good for resale and compensation, but if your bike was actually worth $5000 and insurance only pays you $2500, you totally get the shaft. But if it is appraised, the insurance company is obligated to pay out the appraisal price in a total loss.

Insurance adjusters don't give a fuck about details or condition a vehicle should have good tires but it shouldn't get extra points for it. Bottom line is unless you spend the money to put extra fancy coverage on something it's worth what they say it's worth. It's a 1975 cb5whatever to them and your time as a student is worth zero. Take the money and a lesson away from this And insure the next one to the moon

bradj said:
Insurance adjusters don't give a fuck about details or condition a vehicle should have good tires but it shouldn't get extra points for it. Bottom line is unless you spend the money to put extra fancy coverage on something it's worth what they say it's worth. It's a 1975 cb5whatever to them and your time as a student is worth zero. Take the money and a lesson away from this And insure the next one to the moon

You sound like and adjuster...

Don;t take the first offer... put together a nice tidy package of info on the "value" of the bike and any additional work you have done recently to enhance that value. send it along with an "I appreciate the your help with this, but" letter.

I had an adjuster "offer" me $4500 for a car that was totaled sitting on the curb same deal a few years ago with 230 thousand miles on it and in the end they paid me $8000 and change... be assertive, but respectful and you might get a better end result.

Tune-A-Fish said:

Don;t take the first offer... put together a nice tidy package of info on the "value" of the bike and any additional work you have done recently to enhance that value. send it along with an "I appreciate the your help with this, but" letter.

I had an adjuster "offer" me $4500 for a car that was totaled sitting on the curb same deal a few years ago with 230 thousand miles on it and in the end they paid me $8000 and change... be assertive, but respectful and you might get a better end result.
Your insurance or theirs? Makes a difference.

deviant said:
Your insurance or theirs? Makes a difference.

In my deal... I confronted the persons insurance that ran into my car. Seems to be the same challenge here.

Tune-A-Fish said:
no I sound realistic, the spike in value due to hipsters isn't a real thing. A few years of "cafe racers" selling for three times there value, doesn't affect what a insurance company or a bank is willing to back. Soooo little experiment,go to a bank and try to get a loan for a 197x cb whatever and tell them it has good tires and it totally worth the risk......I'll wait.

Get over yourself, trend doesn't equal value. Ask the guy with the 75k occ choppa Fire truck theme bike. Or the dude that put 5000 dollar spinners on a Dodge Durango. They'll tell ya

As Brad is saying, you have to pay to play in this game. If you're going to drop a ton of cash in your 197X bike, you should set some aside to pay for real insurance on it, that covers what you have in it.

I see people all the time, that have dropped $5-$6K over a span of years in a vintage bike that is worth $2K max. Insurance doesn't much give a flying fuck what you spent on it.

Can we get pictures of the damage?

It would be interesting to see what they class as a write off.

Jeez - I thought your girlfriend was in an accident, but thank God it's just your bike.

Bikes can be fixed.....people, not always....

bradj said:
no I sound realistic, the spike in value due to hipsters isn't a real thing. A few years of "cafe racers" selling for three times there value, doesn't affect what a insurance company or a bank is willing to back. Soooo little experiment,go to a bank and try to get a loan for a 197x cb whatever and tell them it has good tires and it totally worth the risk......I'll wait.

Get over yourself, trend doesn't equal value. Ask the guy with the 75k occ choppa Fire truck theme bike. Or the dude that put 5000 dollar spinners on a Dodge Durango. They'll tell ya

So you just prefer to lay there and take a Shaq size eh... I'll laugh.

On top of this, fellas, pay out is different by state.

In PA, they can split fault. So when a guy pulled out of a gas station at an intersection, crossed two lanes of traffic cutting me off while I was going through the intersection with a green light- his insurance found me 10% at fault. They said I had an opportunity to avoid his vehicle since I hit it at the rear quarter. I could see the whites of his eyes and his look of fear as I did my best to avoid driving the front end of my Ram into his driver's side minivan door. When the adjustor told me I was 10% at fault, I said I should've just kept it straight since trying to avoid him made it look like I should have partial fault. Then they could pay his hospital bill or dealt with his death. I saved them money, yet they still want to nickel and dime me away from what amounted to the rental car cost while my truck got fixed. An adjustors's only goal is to save money any way they can.

So the only thing that comes to mind is to locate an insurance adjuster who likes to text and drive, then load up in the old pickup with nasty rear bumper and brake check his/her ass for a healthy dose of irony?

I still stick to my original post that you don't have to accept the insurance company's initial offer, and are free to argue it up. Worst they can do is say no. Other's points about what you think your bike is worth versus what they do hold true, however. You will have an impossible time arguing that because you spent $4K on your bike it's worth $4k...

Managed to find a few other bikes listed in a similar condition for $3200 and $3500 across the country. Bikes going for $1500-2 are generally in pretty rough shape. My bike was 90% original, in decent shape, 4 out of 5 stars. I had gotten some top end machining done, rebuilt the head, new rings, full top end gaskets, brake lines, pads, etc. Fortunately I have receipts but we'll see what they say. They gave me an initial offer of $2500, I am holding out for $3500. Fingers crossed. Odds are I won't be able to find another CB500T in similar shape for less, unless I have to have it shipped cross country, which will be another $500-600.

Back
Top Bottom