77 cb550k turns over but wont start

Colorprinter867

ok so i picked up this bike about a month ago, i cleaned the carbs, bought a new battery for it and reassembled it. first try she turns over but wont fire. so i checked the spark plugs and all four are getting spark. then i checked to see if the carbs are getting gas. i turned the overflow screw on the bottom of the bowls and only numbers 3 and 4 leaked gas so im assuming that 1 and 2 are not getting gas. then i wanted to see if gas was getting into the cylinder so i pulled the plugs on cylinders 3 and 4 and they were completely dry.

what im asking is, is there a reason that gas would not be getting the the 1st and 2nd carbs?
why wouldnt the gas be getting into the cylinder on 3 and 4?
Any ideas on what i could try to make her start?
is there any more information that i need to give?

btw i have the pd46a carbs.

would a stuck float needle cause gas not to be sent into the float bowl?

carb 1/2 and then 3/4 are feed from seperate lines and petcock plumbing ports.. petcock ok? ck fuel flow from tank..........is tank ok inside , filter ok? remove petcock and teardown,replace bad parts and clean out....ck/replace fuel lines.
try aux fuel source to see if flow is ok to n/seats...first remove bowl drains and see if you have flow, if not they are stuck or you miss adjusted float level.
first thing to do is actually ck intregrity of engine before putting any time/money into it...compression and then a leak down test..
good luck........joe@ vcycle

the engine has compression, the PO took it to a shop and they said it had 120 psi in all cylinders. i took the carbs apart and noticed that i put the floats in upside down in 1 and 2 (stupid me :eek: ) but also the float needles for 1 and 2 are messed up. its almost as if the finish is coming off of them and they are bare metal. the floats for 1 barely move up and down so im assuming that the needle needs to be replaced. is there anything else that could be the culprit?

Some float needles ARE just bare metal. I can't remember if these were or not. I cleaned the carbs a while back. Did you polish the float valves? I usually do this every time I clean the carbs, helps the needles re-seat and not stick either. A lot of people use Brasso, or another brass polish, or you can use toothpaste too. Something that has really fine polishing qualities. I use a Q-tip and clean all the surfaces inside. Also, make sure the spring is workin on the float needle. You can get some carb cleaner and soak it in it for a second and then push on the little spring to get it "un-stuck". I get some ring-free and put that in the fuel too, helps keep things clear, but make sure you have some GOOD filters on those fuel lines.

Back
Top Bottom