So this just happened in my garage tonight.

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Welcome to October in Ohio. I need to budget for propane now. .
76c36b9b1d1f76859fe2fadc6769f126.jpg

So this just happened in my garage tonight.

Think I need to invest in one this winter. I'm in Canada, expecting snow tonight.

Rough guess. How long does a tank last? I've used electric heaters and they do nothing for my garage

Djfob said:
Think I need to invest in one this winter. I'm in Canada, expecting snow tonight.

Rough guess. How long does a tank last? I've used electric heaters and they do nothing for my garage
Hmm that's a tough one. In the dead of winter last year, working in the garage probably 2 hours or so a night and keeping it comfortable, it would last maybe 3 weeks. Or I guess I probably got 3 refills through the cold season. It's kinda like a gas BBQ I suppose.

I should note that it's an attached 1 car garage and also moderately well insulated. I would venture to say that is much more cost effective than electric.

Those things are like gold when an ice storm hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurco550 said:
Hmm that's a tough one. In the dead of winter last year, working in the garage probably 2 hours or so a night and keeping it comfortable, it would last maybe 3 weeks. Or I guess I probably got 3 refills through the cold season. It's kinda like a gas BBQ I suppose.

I should note that it's an attached 1 car garage and also moderately well insulated. I would venture to say that is much more cost effective than electric.
Mines also an attached garage. Going to look into getting one, Last winter I drank alot of beer to start warm.

I grabbed a similar circle style one for $20 at the flea market....no garage to heat yet tho...

My shops a lil bigger and used a 3 face heater for some time but got tired of getting refills. It would do the job but took some time to warm up. So a few years back put in a over head radiant heat ,tapped into the gas line going to my pool with shut off valves to switch from summer to winter ! Put it on a thermostat and keep it set at 75 all winter long . putting it in wasn't bad $$ wise and over the winter ended up around 20 bucks a month so cost over the winter here in ohio was cheaper and much warmer the to propane set up ! And it sucks it's getting cool DAM it !!!!!!

Haha I would love a better setup for heat, but I'm in a rental. I already put a bit to much money in the garage by hanging lights and shelves.

hurco550 said:
Haha I would love a better setup for heat, but I'm in a rental. I already put a bit to much money in the garage by hanging lights and shelves.
Ya my shop is also a lease. The heater was already here. 1500 sq ft plus loft (i built that) radiant heat, bathroom, 60 gallon water heater, 220v, floor drain, gym lighting, etc.

Pic of the heater blurred by the gym lighting, ha. I've been tempted to borrow one of these sodium lights for another little project of mine, hehe.

Attachments

• 1003150910.jpg
    1003150910.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 198
DohcBikes said:
Ya my shop is also a lease. The heater was already here. 1500 sq ft plus loft (i built that) radiant heat, bathroom, 60 gallon water heater, 220v, floor drain, gym lighting, etc.

Pic of the heater blurred by the gym lighting, ha. I've been tempted to borrow one of these sodium lights for another little project of mine, hehe.
Got ya beat man. One car, 1 (yes 1) 110 outlet, and 3 florescent lights.

I'm just happy to have a place to wrench though.

a121b435ad3d73bcb0724f45f45ea1d8.jpg

As clearly demonstrated in your gt thread, the size of the shop you work in should have no real bearing on the quality of the final product. Other than engine building tools I don't have nearly the collection that most shops have. My project toolbox is an old tiny pos top chest( that was given to me because one of the drawers just lays in there) sat on top of a Harbor Freight one drawer rolling cart. I have a little fabrication cart with the welder, grinder, saws, etc. and tend to hang or make compartments for my tools instead of store them in boxes, so space is a priority. I have to have a lot of empty space in the shop to create distance from the fab area and the blast cabinet to the engine room. I have worked on plenty of bikes in a one car garage :)

I would agree on size of shop don't always mean the best builds . Some of the nicer builds come out of small shops !

Re: So this just happened in my garage tonight.

Thanks =) I should disclose that I teach in a trade school. Multiple welders, mills and lathes at my disposal less than 5 minutes away =)

9648fb5781323686dd9cf92b1d29caa3.jpg

5ad84f39f13c466333c98215b765029c.jpg

Re: So this just happened in my garage tonight.

hurco550 said:
Thanks =) I should disclose that I teach in a trade school. Multiple welders, mills and lathes at my disposal less than 5 minutes away =)

Hey, how soon are you going to be doing adult continuing ed classes in that area? Sign me up for any time after the middle of March! :)

AND, yeah, I had the little electric (Eden Pure style) heater going in the shop the last couple of days and this morning I cranked up the gas fireplace insert in the living roon. Can't wait to get to Mississippi!

Haha no, no its not. I've always said I make up for my lack of skill with cnc equipment =) really a neat place to work though. I teach the welding course for adults and do a part of the Fanuc/Lincoln Electric robotic welding training. The new machine lab just happens to be right next to my lab.

Here is a shameless plug for Ramtec.

https://youtu.be/5e9wSYMagu0

http://www.ramtecohio.com/

ridesolo said:
Hey, how soon are you going to be doing adult continuing ed classes in that area? Sign me up for any time after the middle of March! :)

AND, yeah, I had the little electric (Eden Purt style) heater going in the shop the last couple of days and this morning I cranked up the gas fireplace insert in the living roon. Can't wait to get to Mississippi!
I'm still working on trying to get adult ed machining classes going, don't worry, I'll keep you informed =)

Back
Top Bottom