The reason I am not getting any further on my bike. 73 super beetle

lingo

social pariah
So My money and time have been occupied by another project lately. I was given a super beetle by an older lady. It was her husband's car when he passed 6 years ago.

2012-08-21_19-47-52_179.jpg

When I first saw it, it was covered in dust, had two flat tires, and a dead battery. So I put air in the tires and a battery and it wouldn't start. so the next step was a tune up and it back fired through the carb. I popped the hood and realized that #1 and #3 wires were switched on the cap. swapped them out and it fired right up. (Yes, I put the wires on the car but I swapped them one at a time so that wouldn't happen). I tried driving it around the block and it would achieve a top speed of a walking pace. I then rebuilt the brakes with all new hydraulics and drove the car home.

So now I am in the minor resto/ making it a DD phase.

I picked up a new set of tires for her and I really wanted to clean the wheels up and paint them before I mounted the new tires.

Before:
2012-11-18_13-55-14_241.jpg

After:
2012-11-18_13-56-30_916.jpg

I used the Rustoleum Hammertone Silver on them. They turned out pretty well. I am a novice painter at best.

More updates soon. I hope

Nice, I used the Duplicolor wheel paint on a set of steel wheels for my X-Trail. I like the hammer finish. Love the old beetles, hope you get her going without a lot of $$ invested.

Thats a cool project lingo. My first build was a '57 oval. I was 17 years old. I loved that car.

I am about $700 into the car including tires. I should have it road worthy this week.

Heck yes man. My first car was a 74 Super in neon orange. Looked good, ran ok, but the motor blew up and I couldn't afford to fix it.

VonYinzer and I have had that same discussion. The sad (or good) part is: what are the next generation of gear heads working on?

lingo said:
Why is it that it seems all gear heads, at one time or another owned an air cooled VW?

Because the gear heads are the only ones who can keep 'em running?

I've never had one. Does that make me not a gear head?
Although I did rebuild one from the ground up for a guy. So I guess that counts haha.

I would sooooooo pimp a beetle in Herbie colors!

But... my Dad would roll over in his grave if I bought a Vdub.

Big Rich said:
VonYinzer and I have had that same discussion. The sad (or good) part is: what are the next generation of gear heads working on?

I fear that there may not be a next generation. If we are lucky they will be keeping the same bikes that we are keeping out of the scrap heap now

Nice VW!
I had a 72 squareback, 72 beetle, 78 scirocco, 82 desiel rabbit and 86 jetta. I miss the air cooled's. Think thats why i like
Air cooled bikes. Good luck with the project. Tons of parts for them.

Had two beetles including a 73 super beetle, best cars I ever had. People always say to me they are so unreliable, I say show me your new ford after 30 years of being passed down from one mechanically inept person to another!
Aah I miss my beetle......^-^

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Any updates on the Bug? Or do I need to drag my 72 Super out of the barn and scare yours into behaving...

Great cars. Nice to see there's another fan of the air-cooled bugs.

Here's my '67
2011GermanGathering-Gilmores004.jpg

Rad. I had a '66 that literally broke in half. Haha. Got it running like a top and BLAM! End of the line. Had to give up all my VW dreams. Just no room to store/rebuild a car. That said, I have an older hippy friend (he's in his 60s) that I have known for years. Anyway, he's got a 65 Single cab sitting in his yard. All there but rough. According to him, if I help get it back on the road its mine. Looking to start messing with it this summer.

Shooting for something like this:

2013-03-31-10-40-49--919047536.jpg

Back
Top Bottom