The Bigger and Wider OW31 Ducktail Seat, some pictures

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
Hi everybody,
In this frantic Christmas season, Drewskie has obliged me and taken a few photos of the big wide OW31 Ducktail seat sitting on his H2.
Drew was the "push" on this caper and frankly, I didn't think the seat would look as sharp as it does - but dammit, I'm impressed. Note that Drew has still has to cut the front of the seat to sit down over the frame rails - the final install should be about an inch lower.
I like it so much that I'm considering one for my ancient 2 valve GS550 - unless I take a TR750 seat, extend it to add a long base, make a new mould and offer those too...
Seats and the optional upholstery pan shown in the photos available from Pacomotorstuff.
Hope you enjoy the pictures and have a Great Christmas.f
Pat
PS prices - Oops! Thought I'd posted them already. Seat is $199.12 Canadian plus HST (if you pay it) and the optional upholstery seat base (the black thingy on Drew's seat that lets you glue foam and vinyl to it and then bolt or rivet it to the seat) is $39.82+HST.
PPS - I bet some dimensions would be great as well! Gee, I must be busy with Christmas stuff or something!
LONGER AND WIDER “OW31” DUCKTAIL SEAT
SLIGHTLY OVER 28 INCHES OVERALL LENGTH
7 INCH FRAME WIDTH AT THE FRONT
HUMP STARTS 16-1/2 INCHES BACK
10-5/8 INCH MAXIMUM FRAME WIDTH AT THE HUMP
6-3/4 INCH HUMP HEIGHT FROM FLAT AREA OF SEAT BASE
TAPERS TO 9-3/4 INCH SEAT WIDTH AT THE DUCKTAIL
Drew and I worked pretty hard on getting these dimensions so they would fit a lot of the big aircooled triples and fours but still maintain nice seat proportions. Everything got "swelled" a bit to accommodate those frames but still are really neat looking seat. Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed creating a unique product.

Hey Pat!

The seat turned out really nice. 8)

If I was going to install it on the Mongrel, I'd shorten the seat pan a little and angle it up at the back just a touch more, but that's just me. ;) I think it fits really nice on that frame and "goes" with the style of the bike. :D

If you guys are curious, you can fire questions my way as well! :)

Merry Christmas everyone! 8)

Just thought I'd give you guys a little more of the back story and a possible glimpse into the future. :D

Back when I was madly working to get the Mongrel done and on the road, I ruined my plan to use a shortened stock seat pan and the stock h2 tail. :p I called Pat to see if he had anything that might work. He kindly brought a sample OW31 and we played around with it on the bike.

I always liked the look of OW31, but it was really tiny and wouldn't work with out some major sub-frame cutting and welding. :p

I think I must have asked if it would be possible to build a bigger OW31, and the rest, as they say, is history. ;D

It's a really cool piece! It's built longer to allow anyone to trim and fit it as they wish. In my case the plan would be to shorten it some for that "stubby race look". ;) This seat is quit a bit bigger than a stock OW31, and really makes some tanks look small. My personal opinion is that this seat would look wicked with a larger "cafe type" fuel tank.

Seeing as I'm in the process of taking the Mongrel off the road, this seat won't end up there. The 750 engine is going in a '71 h1a frame and will be my "2 up" road cruiser! I do, however, have ideas for this seat. ;) My KZ1000 is going to remain my "solo rider" and the next phase for it will entail a KZ1000 MkII ST fuel tank, no side covers, hidden electrics, a custom sub frame and this seat. 8) I think the seat really suits the more squared off lines of that tank. 8)

In my current financial state, this will be a little further down the road, but I'm really stoked to see this done! :D

Here's a sample of the tank I mean:

Beautiful build. I would love to see more pics of the entire bike, maybe a little more distance.
It looks like you have an RZ350 rear wheel?

I just picked up an H2 roller with an FZR400 (aluminum!) rear swinger and shock conversion and FZR front end. My plan is to build an H2 with modern USD front end. I've always wanted to use the TZ ducktail seat as well.

Where did you get those pipes?

Here is my project. It's in Sacramento area but I need to find a way to get it to Utah. I'm willing to trade the H2 engine and tank/seat for some H1 parts.

Back
Top Bottom