1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)

trek97 said:
Also, if they are too tight, the valves could be tagging the piston tops. But not sure how tight they would have to be for this to occur.

and I did miss the vid link ::) But seen it now.

I dont know whats up w PJ hes been offline for a week and he would know more about this than me.

Ill share your vid link w a few others too. See what they say about it.

We had a bit of wind blowing and power went out (IRMA ;D )

rsjudka said:
Okay well maybe not everything turned out perfectly. I just replaced the rear taillight (dual filament 1157) with an led 1157.

When I turn the key on accessory, the bulb lights up (acting as the parking light)

When I have the running light switch turned on, the bulb lights up. But once I pull either brake, the bulb goes out.

Everything worked as it should with the old filament bulb. I even tried reversing the POS/NEG cables but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas on what could be causing the brakes to cut power off to the lightbulb? I'm out of ideas about what to check

You have something connected wrong if light works on park but not with ignition on. Could be the handlebar switch needs an ON-Off position or the power wire needs bridging inside switch or headlight bucket?

crazypj said:
We had a bit of wind blowing and power went out (IRMA ;D )
I hope everything is good for you down there!

crazypj said:
You have something connected wrong if light works on park but not with ignition on. Could be the handlebar switch needs an ON-Off position or the power wire needs bridging inside switch or headlight bucket?
I think the problem was in the socket of the taillight, the two positive terminals we'rent aligning properly

MOTORCYCLE HORROR STORY!!
Since I figured I got everything working on the bike, I would take it on a longer, faster ride than ever before. And it rode beautifully! I hit 60-65mph for a good open stretch of road.

I stopped for a bit and when I started on my way home, the bike was having trouble reaching over 40mph and started backfiring out of each muffler.

I stopped one more time on my way home to pick up some stuff from the store and when I went to start the bike it was dead. Not a single electrical thing was working on the bike (not even the horn!) I was able to kick start the bike and I was able to get home (still backfiring and maxing out at 40mph).

When I got home I checked the battery and it was at 12.5v

I checked all the wiring and everything is connected properly. Would the bike not starting with electric start and not being able to go over 40mph be related?

Also, what could be causes for the problems I'm having? I'm stumped in this one

12.5 is a good level for a battery that's been sitting for at least a day, but fresh from a ride you should be over 13V.

If you can get things running with the kick starter, it might be worth measuring voltage across the battery terminals both at idle and again at around 4000 RPM.

Sonreir said:
If you can get things running with the kick starter, it might be worth measuring voltage across the battery terminals both at idle and again at around 4000 RPM.

Okay so here is what I got:
Bike off: 12.2v
Bike idle: it just jumped around from 9v to 115v and everything in between
Bike at 4k: ~40v

I have no idea how to explain what's going on here

Check and clean wire connections to Reg/Rect including ground wires to frame lug.

The ground lug is under the tank.

And I think you want to hook the yellow and white from stator together to feed directly to the R/R, basically deleting the yellow/white running up to the handlebar switch. But let me look in my stuff first.

If you got the sparckmoto R/R

yes the yellow and white from stator tie together and go to yellow on R/R unit. Deleting the yellow/white to bar controls.

trek97 said:
If you got the sparckmoto R/R

yes the yellow and white from stator tie together and go to yellow on R/R unit. Deleting the yellow/white to bar controls.
I do have the sparckmoto R/R

I'm such an idiot I go to check the ground lug and I notice the ground from the battery got disconnected. I bolt it down with a new screw and it starts up just fine!

I'm still a bit confused on this. If I currently have the yellow/white and yellow cables not connected to each other, how was the bike able to run? Should I still plug them into each other?

It will run but wont make as much power. The switch cuts a "leg" off stator when the headlight is off. You dont need this option. You need max power all the time.

so here it is...
yellow and white from stator tie together and go to yellow on R/R
Pink from stator go to Pink on R/R
Black +12v switched goes to Black on R/R
Red +12v battery to Red on R/R
Ground to Green on R/R

It sounds like the PO has deleted the switch. You just need to ensure he tied the yellow and white together somewhere in the harness.

Glad to read you found the wire off battery (easy fix) and that you had a better ride before. 8)

trek97 said:
No do not plug them into each other. Step away from the bike. LOL
That's what I thought but I was kind of confused by the wording I'll look into the wiring of my R/R soon

Trek, did you see the little story I wrote a few posts up? What could have caused the bike to max out at 40mph and backfire after I stopped riding for a bit?

It could be power related. (ground wire coming loose) So, once you verify your making proper power go for another ride.

If its still not right..

Your points plate may have shifted a touch and she could be out of time.

If shes in time.

Check carbs for sticky slide or torn diaphragm, fouled plug (running rich) Or clogged jet. (running lean).

I just want to add you are doing an awesome job w her. I know they can be frustrating at times, Dont let yourself get discouraged. You are learning a lot about her right now. And pretty soon you will have the bugs worked out and will really get to enjoy her. And if you encounter a problem on the road you will have a better idea of what to look for and what to do.

So hang in there, you got plenty of support right here.

trek97 said:
I just want to add you are doing an awesome job w her. I know they can be frustrating at times, Dont let yourself get discouraged. You are learning a lot about her right now. And pretty soon you will have the bugs worked out and will really get to enjoy her. And if you encounter a problem on the road you will have a better idea of what to look for and what to do.

So hang in there, you got plenty of support right here.
Thanks so much! Yeah I definitely felt like giving up a couple of times but now I get kin of excited when something goes wrong lol

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. In going to take it out for a good ride in a few days and we'll see how things go!

One last thing I forgot to mention. Tested the voltage of the battery again after connecting the ground, ans the numbers were:
idle: 12.4v
4k rpm: ~6-8v

How do those numbers look? is that what its expected to be?

Back
Top Bottom