Photobucket No Longer Free

B541Niner

Been Around the Block
It would appear that PB thinks their crappy service is worth $40 month or $400 year is doing away with Free Hosting...Many links to pics soon to be worthless.

B541Niner said:
It would appear that PB thinks their crappy service is worth $40 month or $400 year is doing away with Free Hosting...Many links to pics soon to be worthless.
If you go over the 10GB free storage they offer, they hit you with that.

Im using less than 3% of my 10 gig storage and my pics are no longer available.

11494-010717073806.png

Something is afoot for sure. I'm reading up on it but it might be over.

As always i strongly encourage people to upload pics here. We have a Gallery function that makes it somewhat easy and gives you the same IMG link to post in your threeads.

The DTT cloud has a go around to upload multiple pics at a time. If your documenting a build here it only makes sense to store the images here also.

Also if you get the DTT app loading pics direct from phone to your thread is way more simple.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Last year, they started telling me I was full. I deleted HUNDREDS of pics, but they still said I was out of storage.
OK, whatever, paid a little bit for storage. That ought to last me forever (says today I'm only 3% full).

Ever since they made this "no longer free" change, I am INUNDATED with ads on the home page. I cannot log in unless I use Facebook, which I prefer NOT to do. Once in, the ads stop, but the site is SLOOOOOW. And once I finally get to the folder I want, I have trouble copying the code to link pics.
I bet I spent 15 minutes this morning just trying to find a way to contact them to express my displeasure and complain about all the hoops I have to jump through...as someone who has PAID for storage....since they made this change.

Good way to ruin a business/service and force people to find alternatives.

If you post to multiple places like many do then the DTT upload feature is a little less convenient. Imgur.com is a great (free) alternative to photobucket or similar services. It's what I use in most cases.

I just renewed my $29/yr account and my pictures seem to all still be working.
Unsure what is actually going on.

I've received no notices and my account doesn't seem to be affected.
FullSizeRender_zpszj8rlu3t.jpg

If you can see the pic... it's still workin.

I've been using them for 10 years and had over 1400 images hosted there. Got an email from them last week stating that unless I opted for their $400/yr plan then none of my pictures could be embedded on forums like this (third party hosting), checked my posts and all now had their generic image (see below) in place of my pictuers, so I backed up and deleted all my pics and closed my account. I can understand the need to pay for hosting like this but the amount and just the way they went about it is really strange.

rearRack_03_zpsm1cffff3.jpg

People are saying they can't download their own pics to their devices.

Photobucket is essentially holding their photos hostage, and demanding a ransom to get them back.

I was able to bulk download all of my pictures, but it was a tedious process since you had to do it folder by folder and the process failed quite a bit. Kept at it and got them all. It would create a zip file of all the pictures in each folder that you could download.

Here's my experience.

First off I kept getting messages to PAY to delete adverts ! ::)

Then I got messaged to enquire if I used PB to host third party [ forums / blogs ] platforms.

I ignored that for 2 weeks, then when I finally got sick of seeing it and hit "yes", the following day all images had been removed from forums. :mad:

Very shortsighted as that now means I will no longer be visiting their site and getting bombarded with their customer's ads.

Phuk Photobucket. 8)

The old saying goes: "If you aren't paying for the product, you ARE the product." My guess is they were bleeding cash.

They don't get add revenue for hotlinked pics. If people aren't clicking the pics to go to PB site, the adds don't get seen and they make no money. It seems like they targeted the folks using their site to host on forums vs folks who have people go to PB to see the pics and thus see the adds for revenue.

Just checking using DTT site facilities 8)

Attachments

• 1494b49e3d317095.jpg
    1494b49e3d317095.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 793
Back
Top Bottom