'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions

Wow...... just wow.

I'm not normally a big fan of chrome (I'm cheap and like polished aluminum :D), but that looks freaking........ wow

wow man that looks fantastic!!!

Thanks. The engine is clearly the best looking part of the bike. Now I really gotta do a nice job on the top end in order to balance things out.

I got some photoshop mach-ups i've been working on. I'll put them up later tonight.

what you going to do for pipes and intake? my V stacks are gone! could not get the bike running we are now going to up the pilot and go though the jets again trying to get it right. tuning this bike is a BEAR!

Damn ... thanks for making me feel bad about not showing my bike the same love. Looks freakin' swank ... I hear fire engine sirens!

JRK5892 said:
what you going to do for pipes and intake? my V stacks are gone! could not get the bike running we are now going to up the pilot and go though the jets again trying to get it right. tuning this bike is a BEAR!

lovely... I have pod filters for the intake. I was original thinking of using some universal mufflers. A Reverse Cone Megaphone Muffler or the Commando Style Megaphone. On the other hand I really like the strait headers look or slash cut pipes, but it sounds like this bike really needs some back pressure.

Reverse Cone:
07-0112.jpg

Commando Style Megaphone:
07-0065.jpg

JCWhitney sells some reverse megaphones that the end cap unbolts. That way you can pull the baffle out for "tuning"

my pipes have a full baffle in them and still are a bear... ill let you know what we end up doing on the tune. just sucks... the bike has been done over year, it is now in the hands of the 2nd tuner including myself, the carbs are spotless, have 5 up and 5 down jets from stock, vavles are set (very important on this bike) carbs are synced, timing is on... and just runs like crap, sticks high idol around 7 or 8g's dies out, just a bitch
problem is the tuner has had the bike for around 4 months and the swing arm is now rusted to hell, all the polishing work i did is getting worse and worse... just sucks... he is working his tail off (forum member as well) just be bike is not workign with us... hope that when we get rid of the V stacks it does it!
took her for a few mile run yesterday... now back to the begining... ha ha ha ooh well when it is done i can bring him another goldwing to dial in as i start on the next build

It's your CV carbs Joe...I'm almost certain of it.

what you think i can do about it? you think that gettin rid of the V stacks will work?

here is a shot of her out yesterday with the wife on her fighter... made it a few miles!
v79qv6.jpg

Do you only start having problems when the engine gets fully warmed up?

nope cold, warm, midway... just all though the range, tried over 5 diff jets, i refuse to change my exhaust (it sounds wicked and i got to much time into making it) but i will put on the stock air box if i have to! this thing is driving me nuts that it looks so sick and i can not ride it! just blows!

Srgt: Meant to say before: That plating looks outstanding, really takes the engine u pa notch or two!

Joe: Best thing you could do.....
1) add some length to the exhaust. It'll help, trust me.....plus by adding some length you can probably get rid of some/all of your back pressure by removing the lolipop.

2a) VM30 carbs. You cna get'm pretty cheap and there's enough info out there that getting them jetted is pretty easy. Hell, grab yourself a couple dial-a-jets and have external control! This really is the best long term solution, the vacuum carbs just suck in an open flowing system

2b) Put your stock airbox back on. I know it sucks but htis will at least allow the carbs to work as designed. There will be enough restriction on the inlet to allow the vacuum from the engine to properly operate the slide.

2c) you can try drilling out the little 'vent' hole in the slide to help it work a little better with less vacuum. The old Dynojet kits used to include the drillbit for doing that....

But really, the VMs are the ticket mate!

haha. i don't mind at all. This is all useful information that I will need once I get to tuning.

Srgt: You're a good sport!

Those can be made to work though they are set up for a 2-stroke but I believe all you need to do is un-shroud the needle seat. PJ will be able to tell you exactly, I haven't done it but I read something and remember him mentioning it.

i will first try the pods, i got so much work into these carbs i would be sick if i could not use them. keep trying over and over right! ha ha ha what is the dial thing you are talking about?

Here is a whole thread on pod filters:
http://pnwriders.com/mechanical-technical/127667-pod-filters.html

According to these guys looks like the stock airbox is the way to go if you don't want power band problems. Personally I think they are a heap of tin when it comes to the cosmetics. Keep me posted if you fix it and dial it in.

Back
Top Bottom