My CB450 Cafe racer seat build - **No Welding**

wtf man...are you sure you had the flu?..maybe you fell and bumped your head!!
::)

as a result of your action on this thread, noel ocol, aka chica magnet, aka butterfly methane magnet, aka shit disturber, will experience a lifetime ban from us at the 450 nos group,not that we were considering your application for membership seriously, if you're not carefull the 550 group,the 750 group, and probably the 59 group,norton group,
will also kick you out as well,not to mention the vintage simpsons helment group, and the vintage crown bristol group,
remember our motto at 450 nos, "go nos or go home"
you "chica magnet" should stay home,

saucer said:
as a result of your action on this thread, noel ocol, aka chica magnet, aka butterfly methane magnet, aka shit disturber, will experience a lifetime ban from us at the 450 nos group,not that we were considering your application for membership seriously, if you're not carefull the 550 group,the 750 group, and probably the 59 group,norton group,
will also kick you out as well,not to mention the vintage simpsons helment group, and the vintage crown bristol group,
remember our motto at 450 nos, "go nos or go home"
you "chica magnet" should stay home,

BHAHAHAH!!!... Oh MAN!!.. Im SORRY!!... IM SO SORRY DUDES & DUDETTES!!!... PLEASE DONT BAN ME from the VIntage Simpson Helmet Group!!!... ANYTHING BUT THAT!!! ;D

I personally don't see any reason to not hack up a perfectly flawless seat in the pursuit of a cafe seat. I also like the idea of no welding. But a Honda? that's not even a Yamaha. Sheesh. ;D

looking good sir...I spent an hour last night sanding my primed cowl...might be ready for paint soon..woohoo!

digitalbroccoli said:
I personally don't see any reason to not hack up a perfectly flawless seat in the pursuit of a cafe seat. I also like the idea of no welding. But a Honda? that's not even a Yamaha. Sheesh. ;D
looking good sir...I spent an hour last night sanding my primed cowl...might be ready for paint soon..woohoo!

LOL!!.. THanks Man!!...HAHA.. Finally someone whos got my back!!.. LOL...
Im just finishing off the back stop for the front of the cowl.. I"ll post pics soon!!.. ;D

locO leoN said:
LOL!!.. THanks Man!!...HAHA.. Finally someone whos got my back!!.. LOL...
Im just finishing off the back stop for the front of the cowl.. I"ll post pics soon!!.. ;D

... he seems to be the last one here... we all think you are nuts

OK... Ok... Putting all ball breaking aside.... ;D.... Here is the progress thus far....
Im going to finish off the back-stop with leather, however Im going to do it without any sewing what-so-ever...

I just use some of that high-density interlocking shop floor foam and traced out the shape of the cowl openeing:
cb450CRseatN.jpg

After I cut it out and sized it against the opening of the cowl, I traced the shape of it onto an old cb750 seat cover that I had.
cb450CRseatP.jpg

I decided to use the piping trim from the old seat cover and glue it on the bump-stop. I just cut out the piping with enough material to glue it on to the bump-stop foam, which I'll cover with more leather.
cb450CRseatQ.jpg

I also then used the left over leather to cover the front of the bump-stop and lined it up to the piping and just glued it to the front
cb450CRseatO.jpg

Heres how it turned out:
cb450CRseatR.jpg

I then just glued a supporting piece of foam, (piece that holds it on to the cowl from the inside) to the back of the lid:
cb450CRseatS.jpg

cb450CRseatT.jpg

After it dried out, heres how it looks:
cb450CRseatU.jpg

Not bad at all..
Next stop to foam the seating area....
Since teh seat pan is PERECT... and I emphasize the word PERFECT & FLAWLESS, Ive decided that Im not gonna cover it. Infact Im gonna leave it exposed with the chrome trim, which will look wicked with the chrome paneled cb450 K1 Tank..
cb450K1Tank.jpg

Instead Im gonna get some black 1.5 inch high density foam, (used on race bikes), and just lay it on top of the seat pan held on by velcro...
So off to the shelf it goes.. till I get the foam and the tank Por-15'd. I'll paint the seat black along with the tank...
cb450K1Tankandnewseat.jpg

More pics to come when I get the foam...

We Now return to our regularly scheduled program of "Ball Breaking"... This program is not intended for young children and some adults may be offended by its content.. This program contains scenes of violence and course language... Viewer discretion is advised..

OK.. you guys may continue on with the ball-breaking... ;D

digitalbroccoli said:
I'm new...I'm sure I'll catch on. ;)

HEY... Don't pick up any bad habits here... There are some very VERY BAD MEN here..some VERY VERY bad men...(ROAD HOGS!!..) ;D

locO leoN said:
HEY... Don't pick up any bad habits here... There are some very VERY BAD MEN here..some VERY VERY bad men...(ROAD HOGS!!..) ;D

I don't know about this road hogs thing....

but i'm not a nice person (especially with Noel)!

Druro said:
I don't know about this road hogs thing....

but i'm not a nice person (especially with Noel)!

to get the WILD HOGS , (not road hogs) effect, you'd had to be with us in late fall last year, when we terrorized downtown t.o. with our smelly bikes, and our suburban dad,
i got to be home at 11 because my wife saids attitude,we took no prisoners and no passengers, ahhh good times,

saucer said:
to get the WILD HOGS , (not road hogs) effect, you'd had to be with us in late fall last year, when we terrorized downtown t.o. with our smelly bikes, and our suburban dad,
i got to be home at 11 because my wife saids attitude,we took no prisoners and no passengers, ahhh good times,

Fair enough... hopefully this year will be different.

downtown t.o.? Tronna?

Like the high density foam idea, I think I'm going to use the original seat foam that I hacked off of the rear to plug the hole in the front of the cowl. Gotta pick up some sewing pattern paper tomorrow to start working on the vinyl. Hopefully I'll have update pics of my own tomorrow night. (Darn you...I started mine first, and you blew right by me...time to get my lazy butt out ot the shop and start working again)

locO leoN said:

saucer said:

actually..considering the way noel rides..he is a road hog
;D

So....

The foam is all leathered up..
I just simply glued using "Goop", the leather onto the foam and attached the padding to the seat pan using industral strength self-adhesive velcro..

cb450CRseatX.jpg

I shortened the seat strap and reattached it to the pan

cb450CRseatZ.jpg

cb450CRseatZ1.jpg

So back on the top of the shelf it goes again...waiting for the cowl and pan to be painted...(when it get warmer of course)

cb450CRseatZ2.jpg

Thats pretty much it...

From this PERFECT & FLAWLESS, but UGLY NOS cb450 seat:
cb450CRseat2.jpg

To this beautiful work of art ;D:
cb450CRseatY.jpg

Total build cost: $30
;D

I'll post some pics of the seat on the bike soon...

Back
Top Bottom