My knock-off Classified Moto lamp (now w/ FINISHED PICS)

hallin222

aka: HonkyKong
A year or so ago, a friend of mine, bought one of the original Classified Moto lamps http://classifiedmoto.bigcartel.com/product/classified-moto-lamp-original-with-spring-cover, and I fell in love with it, but couldn't justify spending the money on one. Now that I've accumulated a small collection of junk parts from a few junk bikes some friends and I have scavenged parts from for our respective bike build projects, a couple of us thought we'd try our hand at creating our own.

Here's the start to my own floor lamp version, which will be a modified knock-off of this design, but at about 1/10th the total investment.
http://classifiedmoto.bigcartel.com/product/classified-moto-floor-lamp

This will be going in my son's nursery (he's due to arrive around the New Year). Excuse the cell phone pics. It's all I had with me at the time

My base: an old Honda(?) brake rotor that I literally dug out of the scrap steel dumpster behind my work. It was nasty, rusty, and covered in some kind of paint overspray, and had peeling paint on the cast center carrier, but after a few minutes under the wire wheel on my angle grinder, it looked like this:

8073027023_8df119023c_z.jpg

Since I wanted a floor lamp instead of a desk / table lamp, I needed some kind of shaft to extend its height, but instead of using any plain pipe, I took Classified Moto's idea of using fork tubes, but (I think) improved upon it. To get the height I wanted, I figured I'd need about 3/4 of two fork legs, joined end-to-end, but I didn't want an ugly mid-pole weld, that would have to be ground down and possibly ruin the look of the sanded fork tubes, so I did the following.....

I took the fork caps from a 1980(?) Kawasaki KZ750 4cyl.

8073027003_711dcc105a_z.jpg

and spent some time on this after work:

8073026931_4f62094e34_z.jpg

....to turn down that casting lump for the air fittings. I performed this modification on both caps, but the before & after is shown above.

Then, by drilling a 1/2" +/- hole through the center of both, it allowed me to join then pair together as seen below, via a hollow threaded rod, found in the build-your-own lighting-source section of any Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Note that these rods are not English OR Metric threaded, but rather IP threads, so be sure to get the right nuts to match.

8073020784_9b93332d7d_z.jpg

Now I could thread the two tubes together, with a highly-finished look, and still able to accept a power cord run up the center of it all. Fork tubes are obviously from the same donor bike as the caps.

8073026949_9b0ab3c6a3.jpg

That's all for now, but I shold have the finished product ready to share by this weekend. DTT member, fresh_c will be loaning me the use of his welder and/or welding skills, and a few parts (tranny gear, rear shock, etc) off a CB400T parts bike that he's also robbed parts from for his own desk / table lamp. His lamp is already finished an fuctional, so perhaps he'll share it here as well, but you'll have to wait a few day to see mine completed.

Stay tuned.......

Re: My knock-off Classified Moto lamp

Awesome. I'm about to try this also. Good luck!

Awesome....I'm waiting for the scrap yard to get more heaps in so I can make a 4 shock absorber/ 1 Brake Rotor Stool

Ahhh. It's always nice to be appreciated — subsequently undermined, admittedly ripped off, but appreciated!

:)

JR@classified

^^^^Love the Video on Vimeo BTW....It clearly brings Inspiration to us all (Awesome Song too)^^^^

---Thank You JR

Years ago as I was tearing apart an old small block 400, I had thought it would be cool to use the cam, timing gear, and maybe a piston or two to make some kind of lamp. Then I realized I didn't have a welder, are a way to drill through the cam. So I scrapped it for the time being. But I love to see other peoples' creations.

My $20 project. I started with this...
PA020088.jpg

And then to this...
Ilovelamp.jpg

And finally...
PA070090.jpg

Now I want to make another two or three.

Jayar said:
Ahhh. It's always nice to be appreciated — subsequently undermined, admittedly ripped off, but appreciated!

:)

JR@classified
Sorry, JR. Did you catch that I'm trying to furnish & decorate a nursey? Baby on the way = cool stuff needs to be acquired / built on a budget. You guys do awesome work, but it's out of my price range. That $200 saved will pretty much finish up my bike build... eventually.

I certainly wanted to give you credit for the inspiration though, so thanks for that. I may be making a few of these for holiday gifts for family and friends, but they are not the type to have found and purchased yours on their own, so I assure you, CM is losing no business to me. I still like my fork tube mating method better, though. ;) Feel free to use that in future CM lamp builds. ;D

fresh_c, yours looks great. Are you still free tomorrow for me to stop by for some parts stealing and welding? Please tell me I get to rob that pile shown above. Also, I've got a source on some gutted TL1000R parts if you've got other 'art' projects in mind. They're from the guy I sold that '75 Yamaha DT400 project too.

A big thanks to fresh_c for use of his parts pile and his willingness to do some welding for me. I really appreciate it, and so does wifey. She loved the finished product.

Actually, between sourcing parts, disassembly, cleaning, sanding, welding, grinding, drilling, running wires, etc...... this took more time than I anticipated. Classified Moto's asking price is quite fair considering the labor that goes into one of these, even if it's not 'difficult' to build.

8078999532_ed4bcf06ce_b.jpg

8078999566_bb3285f1cc_b.jpg

8078999596_aafcca4004_b.jpg

8079007825_55f0b30678_b.jpg

Don't forget, this IS the start of the nursery....
8079007945_c1273211ab_b.jpg

I love this vintage 'TeeterTot'. It was our very first baby gift, found by my mother at some antique store back in Maine.
8079008005_0d265cd481_b.jpg

Very nice! You've inspired me to do something like that myself. Now I'm glad I didn't throw away those old bike parts.

fresh_c said:
That turned out fantastic! Now when are we starting on the rocking steel horse?
oh, man. I would love to. I could probably source some lengths of steel tubing but am unsure if we have a tubing roller at work. I'll keep an eye out for other useful bits.

Back
Top Bottom