Project peer pressure ADV danger bike!

That's rad Justin! And Kelly, that's the way I'd like to go. I love the Speedhut on the R90s, I just don't want to spend $300 on a dirt bike speedo. Wonder if the options have gotten cheaper since 2 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
Maybe just a big phone or tablet mount and pull it out of the sky. Lots of Adv guys run them.
That's how the 7fitty is set up- with a Ram mount. It works great.

Dunno if I'd say rad, but certainly cheap and functional haha.
Other than an old iPhone I'm not sure if any decent options for cheap GPS speedo.

The iPhone option bugs me because it doesn't update fast enough. 2, 5, 15, 50 mph
I think the refresh rate (at least on the last one I tried) was 1hz.

SONIC. said:
I threw one of these on the dr250 when the stock speedo kicked it.
Works surprisingly well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-LCD-Digital-Motorcycle-Speedometer-Odometer-Tachometer-Gauge-Kmh-Mph-/191768354130?nav=SEARCH

How was hooking it up? I just got one of those for the GL seems sturdy but the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Has no instructions on how to do the sensor or tach.

SONIC. said:
Dunno if I'd say rad, but certainly cheap and functional haha.
Other than an old iPhone I'm not sure if any decent options for cheap GPS speedo.

The iPhone option bugs me because it doesn't update fast enough. 2, 5, 15, 50 mph
I think the refresh rate (at least on the last one I tried) was 1hz.
Not sure what app you're using, but mine is real time and accurate (within 5 - 10m). I used it on the box Chevy for a while and I use it on the 7fitty every day.

016ce8bba4981e74a3752d13d62b3853.jpg

deviant said:
Not sure what app you're using, but mine is real time and accurate (within 5 - 10m). I used it on the box Chevy for a while and I use it on the 7fitty every day.

016ce8bba4981e74a3752d13d62b3853.jpg
Eric it's not the accuracy that bugs me it's the refresh rate on the speedo, all the ones I've tried jump around because they don't refresh fast enough to keep up with the bike. Not a functional issue, just something that annoyed me enough that I discontinued that idea haha.
I'm a bit ocd.

SONIC. said:
Eric it's not the accuracy that bugs me it's the refresh rate on the speedo, all the ones I've tried jump around because they don't refresh fast enough to keep up with the bike. Not a functional issue, just something that annoyed me enough that I discontinued that idea haha.
I'm a bit ocd.
That's what I'm saying. Mine doesn't do that. It's smooth just like an analog guage.

Maritime said:
How was hooking it up? I just got one of those for the GL seems sturdy but the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Has no instructions on how to do the sensor or tach.
I just put power to each of the leads and figured out what lights they turned on and went from there. The tach just wires into the coil i believe.

deviant said:
That's what I'm saying. Mine doesn't do that. It's smooth just like an analog guage.
What app are you using? It's been a few years since I tried it

SONIC. said:
I just put power to each of the leads and figured out what lights they turned on and went from there. The tach just wires into the coil i believe.
Idiot lights are non issue. The speed sensor is really the only thing I am not sure how to get right

I've got two- Speedbox and Speed Tracker. Speed Tracker is nice because it has a bunch of stat features and it gives you a map screen option...

ec65ea1dff7b7fd8497e6a2109644eac.jpg

... You can also plot courses. I also disable most everything on the phone when traveling, except phone, music and text. On the XL I had no power source. On the 7fitty, I have a USB port in the dash to power from. Put it in a Ram mount and roll.

I may go the GPS route. I'm just a fan of gauges so it's a hurdle for my brain.

I put a trailtech vapor on my DRZ. Loved that gage. Easy to install and worth the $120. I think you can get them around $90 now. You can even get a temp sensors and all that jazz built in. Worth a look anyway. Also it's bright enough to see easily in direct sunlight and has a good nightime light.

Runs on bike battery and its own battery. Voltage variable.

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-electrical-parts/enduro-computer-kits/trail-tech-vapor-motorcycle-computer-kit?b=2757755&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5ti3BRD89aDFnb3SxPcBEiQAssnp0nYeDk-FcQGbxRCPrc-qskkJ5fv4dKM4CQCseitr3hoaAtZF8P8HAQ

I like that option Keith, those have been on the radar. Price is right and the function looks pretty spot on. That may be how I go. Real world testimonials inch me further that way. How is the speed calculated? Magnetic pickup on the wheel?

Back
Top Bottom