78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just ordered my exhaust. The plan is to go 2-into-1 exet at a steep angle just behind the right rear-set. I am using the stock header pipes; they will get painted with hi-temp and wrapped with black header wrap. I need to fab up a collector and a mount.

Attachments

• shorty.jpg
    shorty.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,345
I forgot to say.......I chose the 17" shorty reverse megaphone from dime city cycles. This was the first cent I have spent on this bike other than the purchase price of $100. I knew this build would require money eventually.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I just ordered my exhaust. The plan is to go 2-into-1 exet at a steep angle just behind the right rear-set. I am using the stock header pipes; they will get painted with hi-temp and wrapped with black header wrap. I need to fab up a collector and a mount.

Ok... its been awhile but I finally got my exhaust mocked up. I made a collector. I still need to make a hanger and weld my exit pipe into the collector. I will be wrapping everything in black header wrap all the way back to the muffler.

Attachments

• exhaust 004 - Copy.JPG
    exhaust 004 - Copy.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 305
  • exhaust 005 - Copy.JPG
    exhaust 005 - Copy.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 293
  • exhaust 006 - Copy.JPG
    exhaust 006 - Copy.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 301
  • exhaust 007 - Copy.JPG
    exhaust 007 - Copy.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 303
Thanks, I hope it sounds good. Its been so long since I started this project I dont remember what it used to sound like. Do you have any ideas/inspiration for a tail light setup?

valvesprung said:
Lines look great man, really dig it. Bet it'll sound great.

It's tough to find good options with cafe tails, but I like just using red tinted dual filament turn signals to do both jobs :) Harley uses this method on the 883 Iron and Nightster. Dime City sells some nice alloy dual fil turns, get a can of Testors Transparent Candy Apple Red in a spray can from a hobby shop and tint away

Do you have any pictures of that setup on a bike? (I'm a visual learner)

valvesprung said:
It's tough to find good options with cafe tails, but I like just using red tinted dual filament turn signals to do both jobs :) Harley uses this method on the 883 Iron and Nightster. Dime City sells some nice alloy dual fil turns, get a can of Testors Transparent Candy Apple Red in a spray can from a hobby shop and tint away

I finished welding up my exhaust. It still needs wrapped. One step closer to painting the frame.

Attachments

• exhaust 002.JPG
    exhaust 002.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 275
  • exhaust 003.JPG
    exhaust 003.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 265
  • exhaust 004.JPG
    exhaust 004.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 268
I like it. Cool how it kicks out to the side and up.

Making my exhaust 2-1, or buying the 2-1 header from the local salvage yard is on my down the road list as well.

My new battery came today. It will be going inside my seat. Its a 12v 6.0 amp hour.

Attachments

• battery 001.JPG
    battery 001.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 414
  • battery 002.JPG
    battery 002.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 409
hahaha thats awesome :), where did you pick up the battery from? if you dont mind me asking

Back
Top Bottom