78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got it from mcmaster carr. They have tons of different batteries, just find the right voltage/amp/size They are really reasonable too. This one was under $25 bucks. The place I used to work used them all the time for computer UPS systems (uninterupped power source) They are pretty sweet! Completely sealed and matinence free. You can mount them in any position and they are ment to be charged and drained 100s of times so they last for ever. My bike is goin to be kick only so it only has to power the lights and ignition. I dont think this would be a battery for running electric start.

Jonny said:
hahaha thats awesome :) , where did you pick up the battery from? if you dont mind me asking

mmm might be some thing i look into, going to be doing a kick start on my bike but think i want an electric start back up, ill look into it.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
My new battery came today. It will be going inside my seat. Its a 12v 6.0 amp hour.

i have the same battery got it about a year ago.. like 24bucks shipped right... now im hoping to start my bike tomorrow or friday.. shake down run on sunday.. hoping the battery works out... kick only bike ofcourse

Yup, let me know how it works for you.

Beard said:
i have the same battery got it about a year ago.. like 24bucks shipped right... now im hoping to start my bike tomorrow or friday.. shake down run on sunday.. hoping the battery works out... kick only bike ofcourse

Made some progress today. I made a new rear hoop, mounted my battery, Made a new cluster mount to tidy up the front end and started the rear splash gaurd. I also took some random pictures while messing around with my wifes camera.
nice006.jpg
nice010.jpg
nice009.jpg
nice008.jpg
nice007.jpg
nice005.jpg
nice004.jpg
nice003.jpg
nice002.jpg
nice001.jpg

I felt like doing some polishing so I did the ignition and part of the light switch housing. The lock cyl wasnt bad but the switch housing was a pain in the butt. Oh well I think it looks much better now.
polish002.jpg
polish001.jpg

Attachments

• polish 001 - Copy.JPG
    polish 001 - Copy.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 276
  • polish 002 - Copy.JPG
    polish 002 - Copy.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 284
I finished the light switch now i'm stripping the start/kill switch. My plan is to machine new buttons out of brass and polish them. Thats the plan we will see.

Attachments

• 001 - Copy.JPG
    001 - Copy.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 255
  • 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 277
I ordered a bunch of parts over the weekend. My taillight/turn, header wrap, pod filters, gaskets etc. I would like to put new rings in it while its apart, but as you kz guys know std. rings are hard to come by. My frame is ready to paint but now I cant decide what color to paint it. I need to figure out a paint scheme in order to continue this project. I was thinking about black for the frame, but I would like it to be a little more exciting. If I am going to paint the frame a color other than black then I need to figure out the color for the rest of the bike. A few ideas would be a gun metal and burgundy combo or maybe gunmetal & metalic blue. I also really like the blue and cream color on the coors can. I am open to other suggestions. I am really struggling with this so any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• possible colors.jpg
    possible colors.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 998
Any color combination, I'd advise against going with a light color on the frame. Little matter of showing dirt too easily and it just doesn't work all that well. If you've got any doubts, just look at a '71 BSA. That dove grey frame color was one final nail in the coffin of that marque.

Burgundy and a dark blue? The blue for the frame (keep it just light enough that it's definitely blue, not something you'd mistake for black on the first glance), burgundy for tank, fenders, etc.

Yeah I want to keep the frame dark. I guess what I said was confusing. Gunmetal frame with burgundy tank and tail and maybe a gunmetal stripe down the tank/tail.

Syke said:
Any color combination, I'd advise against going with a light color on the frame. Little matter of showing dirt too easily and it just doesn't work all that well. If you've got any doubts, just look at a '71 BSA. That dove grey frame color was one final nail in the coffin of that marque.

Burgundy and a dark blue? The blue for the frame (keep it just light enough that it's definitely blue, not something you'd mistake for black on the first glance), burgundy for tank, fenders, etc.

That would look cool! They need a program to put colors on a bike to preview them.

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
Yeah I want to keep the frame dark. I guess what I said was confusing. Gunmetal frame with burgundy tank and tail and maybe a gunmetal stripe down the tank/tail.

Oh man, I dig the idea of the Coors can. Dark metallic blue frame, cream tins, gold pinstriping or cafe stripe! Maybe gold on the fork lowers?

Syke said:

Really, now.

Attachments

• SRKZ003.jpg
    SRKZ003.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 343
  • SRKZ004.jpg
    SRKZ004.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 354
Back
Top Bottom