78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The best part is...the walls match! Behold my man cave.

valvesprung said:
Yeah that carpet is amazing mate...truly awesome :)

Attachments

• Misc 059.JPG
    Misc 059.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 236
But, but, but . . . . . . . the shelves are empty!!!!!!!!! Oh, the humanity . . . . . . . .

What do you think of these colors red frame metalic silver tank and hump, maybe a red+white stripe on the tank. This was my insparation.

Attachments

• cafe2.jpg
    cafe2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 250
I bought my paint now I just need to figure out what goes where. This is just a quick sketch of a possible color scheme.

Attachments

• scetch0001.jpg
    scetch0001.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 258
That red frame reminds me of a Moto Guzzi cafe bike, late 70's or early 80's. Can't think of the model, but it looks damned good.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I cant wait to start laying some paint. I would like to prime and paint all my parts at the same time so...i'm working to get all my body work done. I'm now at the stage of my build where I keep thinking, "man these little bikes sure do have a lot of parts." and "where did I put that.

Re: 78 kz400 cafe build (New Shocks)

These little guys came in the mail today! I have finals this week and then I should FINALLY have some time to work on the bike.
shocks003.jpg
shocks002.jpg

Attachments

• shocks 001.JPG
    shocks 001.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 267
So sick. I'm thinking about using those on my upcoming 400 tracker project and I'd love to hear how you like them when your on the road. What length did you go with?

I went with the 320mm. They are a little shorter than stock, but it looks like the bottom eye can be screwed out for adjustment.

Re: 78 kz400 cafe build Primed to prime!

I got all the tabs ground of and worked a little more at fixing dents. I bet I ran the grinding wheel/flap disc for at least an hour. (not the most fun part of this build. It was very tedious but I think i will be glad I did it in the long run. I have off work tomorrow and would like to get the paint flying, but I don't see it getting done.
frame005.jpg
frame004.jpg
frame003.jpg
frame002.jpg
frame001.jpg

Attachments

• frame 001 - Copy.JPG
    frame 001 - Copy.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 255
At this point TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!! So what if the bike's on the road 2-4 weeks later than planned? You'll find that it's worth it. And if you cut corners at this point, you're going to hate yourself everytime you pull the bike out into the sunlight.

What's your plans on baking the paint?

I use a downdraft booth that can bake, but I usually don't bother. I have used the same base/clear on my own cars without baking it and have had great results. Do you bake your paint?

Back
Top Bottom