78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's vht ceramic paint. I wanted to polish it but didn't have the patience.
MotorbikeBruno said:
Is that caliper painted or is that sand blasted without anything on it? I like it either way, just wondering.

I will be posting a video. I can't wait to hear it run. Vintage days are going to slow me down this weekend.
stript.714 o/c said:
Nice! lets go keep it pushing i want to see a video of it running already. :eek:

Love the build, lots of inspiration for my own KZ400. Just curious, but do you know how much the bike weighs now?

Thanks. Its funny you should ask about weight, I was just thinking about weighing it. I will post some numbers when I do. It should be a good bit lighter than it was. I have a few more things to add so she will get a little chunkier but not much.
mcge8241 said:
Love the build, lots of inspiration for my own KZ400. Just curious, but do you know how much the bike weighs now?

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
Thanks. Its funny you should ask about weight, I was just thinking about weighing it. I will post some numbers when I do. It should be a good bit lighter than it was. I have a few more things to add so she will get a little chunkier but not much.

Yes please do, I could NOT believe how heavy the bike was when I looked it up...386 lbs or around there. Seems like there is a lot of weight to come off.

Re: 78 kz400 cafe build (LET THERE BE LIGHT)

I finally started the wiring. I decided to modify the stock harness because it was in good shape and I was using everything minus elect. start and the idiot lights. I may make a custom harness down the road, but for now I am eliminating whatever I dont need, and changing the length of leads that have been relocated. I charged up my battery for a test. I have headlight/tail light, and spark. I need to re-route and hide everything. Just for fun I adjusted the valves, sprayed some fuel in the holes and gave her a few kicks. I got a small backfire but that was it. More to come.
power001.jpg
power002.jpg
power003.jpg
power004.jpg

Attachments

• power 004 - Copy.JPG
    power 004 - Copy.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 219
Looking sharp.

Is that a westach gauge you are using for speed? What sort of sensor does it use to read the speed...?

its a falcon airspeed gauge it uses a pitot tube to read airspeed.

mcge8241 said:
Looking sharp.

Is that a westach gauge you are using for speed? What sort of sensor does it use to read the speed...?

The numbers in as she sits right now the ms weighs 286 pounds. It still needs a chain and headlight but nothing to heavy. I am pleased with the weight drop from nearly 400lbs
mcge8241 said:

Very cool idea with the airspeed gauge, I like that a lot!

And that's an AWESOME weight drop. Gives me a real nice idea of where I will be headed...I'm doing a lot of the same weight reduction stuff and frame modifications that you are with one of my KZ400s.

I can't loose the starter tho...I picked up a 440cc engine for $60 yesterday, but it does not have a kick-start :(

Strong work, either way. Love the build. Wanna make me one of those seats???

I wouldnt mind making another one. there wasnt much to it.

mcge8241 said:
Very cool idea with the airspeed gauge, I like that a lot!

And that's an AWESOME weight drop. Gives me a real nice idea of where I will be headed...I'm doing a lot of the same weight reduction stuff and frame modifications that you are with one of my KZ400s.

I can't loose the starter tho...I picked up a 440cc engine for $60 yesterday, but it does not have a kick-start :(

Strong work, either way. Love the build. Wanna make me one of those seats???

I worked on the wiring some more tonight. Its pretty much done. I still need to decide if I am going with the stock ignition or just a switch. I did hook up my Oil pressure LED warning light. just a few more little things. My chain came today. I will get that on soon. My list is getting smaller.
002-11.jpg
003-9.jpg
004-7.jpg
005-5.jpg
006-5.jpg
My little helper tonight.
001-8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom