1977 CB750F "El Moto"

I like your seat. My next project is to fabricate a seat from glass. Where did you source all of the material?

T.Stanley said:
I like your seat. My next project is to fabricate a seat from glass. Where did you source all of the material?

Thanks! The pan is metal and the removable cowl is Bondo glass and resin from Home Depot.

Today I whipped up a motor stand...

Attachments

• Motor stand.JPG
    Motor stand.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 981
Here is a little progress on the tear down of the motor

Attachments

• Motor.JPG
    Motor.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,015
I can't wait to get these on!!

Attachments

• Mikuni carbs.JPG
    Mikuni carbs.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,077
Hey man... any updates with the new carbs!? Also, how many layers of glass are on that rear seat cowl? Killer bike man... lots of attention to detail!

vbtravisd said:
Hey man... any updates with the new carbs!? Also, how many layers of glass are on that rear seat cowl? Killer bike man... lots of attention to detail!

Sorry, nothing to report yet on the carbs. I should have the trans gears, head, cylinder back from the machine shop in the next couple weeks.

I used 4-5 layers of glass on the cowl.

When I did the original fiberglass cowl the mold collapsed as the resin heated up so I had to bondo the hell out of it. Eventually it got a few cracks that I couldn't stand so here I go again building a new cowl. I learned a lot on the last one so I'm sure this one will turn out better.

Foam mold

Wrap the entire seat and cowl in cellophane to hold the foam cowl, protect the seat and so the fiberglass will release once complete.

First layer of mat on and set, let it dry and sand everything smooth.

Sanded smooth and ready for 3 layers of sheet.

Getting the sheets ready

3 sheets are now applied, I rotated each layer to add strength by getting the strands to run in all directions.

Now it's time to let it all set up and cure...

Jay Ace said:
Cool to see someone else with the same pipes!
How do you like the growl they let out?

Thanks, I do love the sound of them! They are the best sounding pipes that I have heard.

I've got the d-rings installed and the fiberglass is pretty much complete, I just need to do a little more trimming and sanding.

Finally!! I got all my parts back from powder today, time for some real progress on the motor.

Thanks guys, updates coming soon just waiting for a few parts back from Ken @ Cycle X then it goes back together.

Roland, can you take some detailed pictures of the back seat cowl. I'm doing the same thing on my project bike but I'm not sure how to proceed. Did you just drill holes into the seat foam then press fit some metal shims in there? Can I pick that stuff up at the local Home Depot? I'd appreciate it! Keep up the good work.

I have been losing sleep over this fiberglass cowl being a tiny bit lop-sided so I finally made time to fix the problem. Now it will go off to paint next week.

I also added a spot to strap in a tool pouch under the cowl.

I welded 2 small tabs to the seat pan a little inside from the edge. That way there could be a little foam between the tabs and the leather. I originally had it set up with pan head bolts holding the cowl on. I just welded a nut on the tabs so I could thread the bolts in to the hold the cowl. All that stuff you can get at Ace. The new set up is quick release so I had to weld new tabs to accept the quick release, all that stuff is special order.

As for the leather, it just has a reinforced hole in it with stitching around it so it wont fall apart over time.

I hope that helps!

xxthegonzxx said:
Roland, can you take some detailed pictures of the back seat cowl. I'm doing the same thing on my project bike but I'm not sure how to proceed. Did you just drill holes into the seat foam then press fit some metal shims in there? Can I pick that stuff up at the local Home Depot? I'd appreciate it! Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom