The Travelling Gremlen Bell! In Kentucky getting Rusty.

Re: The Travelling Gremlen Bell!

Yeah cool idea. I was goin to get a log but ran outta time. If u would be so generous please do so and Redbird can transcribe my pitiful excuse for a log to ur better version. Then the little bell will have suitable travelling companion.bj

Cool...
Redbird, PM your address when you get a sec. Ill send it out asap.

VonYinzer said:
Ok... How about if we send one of those nice Moleskine leather covered journals with the bell. There about 3.5" x 5". Everyone logs their mileage when they got the bell and when they sent it off (and maybe tapes a pic into the book) than signs it. That way their will be an actual logbook. Maybe when it makes its way home we could even get copies made for everyone. Ill buy it and send it to redbird if you guys think its a good idea. Just let me know and Ill stop by the stationary store tomorrow and send it out.

+1 on that idea, It'd take a little work to scan in every page once it's made its rounds and if we wanted to get a book made http://www.blurb.com does it at a reasonable price. Girl at work got the smallest book, 7x7 hardcover full color 120 pages for 36 bucks each. Took a week to get it.
Would be a cool coffee table book, with everyone's pictures and notes

Now to get my bike on the road for the gremlin to travel on

I realize this is getting to be a lot of stuff really fast, but I wonder if it would make sense to keep track of the bell's peregrinations (I love that word) on a Google Map.

I've taken the liberty of creating one. I think it's open to editing by anyone:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102897768867327436432.000484ea4032a1274ff2f&ll=32.916485,-90.087891&spn=41.06881,79.013672&t=h&z=4

I put in rough locations for the first two riders in Chattanooga and Nawlins. Feel free to move the markers to somewhere more accurate.

You can also edit the info with each marker. Seems like it would be cool to add photos, bike details, etc here. If you go on trips and take photos in front of landmarks, you can add more markers, photos, etc.

Here's a link to directions for using the MyMaps editor. http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=68480

It's my first MyMap so let me know if I've screwed something up of if you all can't edit it and maybe I need to change a setting or something.

Dan

I'll try to get it embedded so you don't have to click the link...

So... The bell project may have hit a little snag folks. bj has (as of the last I heard) decided to leave the forum. So... Im not sure if he has been in contact with Redbird and requested the bell back, in fact I have no idea whats going on. Just a heads up though. Hopefully redbird chimes in and gives us a little more insight.

No, he messaged me last night and although it seems that he is quitting, he is still sending out the bell..

Sorry I hadn't seen this sooner... work has been getting in the way ::)

Von, I sent you a PM. Yea, send me the journal and I'll take care of back logging BJ's info, and adding my own. BJ, if you see this (or maybe Von can pass it along), if you're ever headed down this way, give me a holler. I'll take care of ya while your here ;)

And if nobody minds... my time with the bell is up on May 1st. But I'd like to hang onto it for just a few days longer. The Bikini Bike Wash/Bike Night is on the 4th and I figured that Bikini/Bell pics had a nice ring to it (yea, pun intended) ;D

can't argue that!!!

I wasn't able to make it to the Bikini Bike Night as (I forgot) my sons Confirmation was this evening.

I'll post up a report on my time with the bell tomorrow. In the meantime, whoever is next in line PM me their shipping info and I'll get the bell on it's way to them ;)

OK, I'm all ready to post up my ride report... and the battery in the camera dies :mad:
I can't get the pics out of it until it finished charging :(
I guess I'll post it up tomorrow :-\

So who's next? PM me some shipping info!

I totally want it, but i think it should make some rounds in the east before it come out west here... But i Love the Idea. I got a 2 gig thumb drive to donate. It has a ring, wecould attach it to the book pehaps... that way we could include photos... just a thought.

PM sent re: gremlin bell, Redbird.

The thumbdrive is a good idea, be easy to include as part of the package and cool to see the photos people leave on it.

Cheers - boingk

Dakine, boingk and yourself are the only ones showing interest in taking the bell for the next session. Boingk called it first, but since you have the flashdrive, I'll put it out to both of y'all...

Boingk, if you're OK with it, I can send it to Dakine for the next session, he can include the flashdrive, and then send it to you... OR, I can send you the bell, and Dakine can send you the flashdrive, and the bell can continue from there. Either way is cool with me ;)

Ok guys, here's my Ride Report with the Gremlin Bell...

Here it is attached to Molly (I used a ziptie instead of the string because I was afaid of losing it on the crappy roads around here)
0428001025.jpg

My time with the Bell was marred by bad weather and prior family commitments, so my mileage was kinda low... only 79 miles. But I did get it around to some local Historical locations... and a Hooters! ;D
The first day I was able to ride, we went to City Park. The land, as a public park, dates back to the mid 1800's. But City Park as we know it today was built under the Roosevelt administration during the Great Depression. (a brief synopsis of City Park's history can be found HERE) Originally the land was the site of the Allard Plantation...
003.jpg

Close up of the Historical Marker
AllardPlantation1.jpg

From there we went to vist the Peristyle in City Park. "The Peristyle is a magnificent Neo-Classical structure with majestic Ionic columns and is one of City Park's oldest structures. Built in 1907, the Peristyle was originally designed as a dancing pavilion. Four concrete lions, some of the most recognizable denizens of City Park, guard the Peristyle where stairs lead down to the edge of Bayou Metairie."
009.jpg

008.jpg

Don't tell anyone I got the bike inside... it's a No-no.
018.jpg

One of the previously mentioned Lions.
022.jpg

Also in City Park, this is all that remains of Mona Lisa Ln. A very well known area locally due to the Haunting stories the revolve around it. (the story can be found HERE)
023.jpg

From there we went to the very outskirts of City Park, to where Bayou St. John connects with Lake Pontchartrain. This is the location of the remains of Fort St. John.
028.jpg

Close up of the Historical Marker.
FortStJohn.jpg

From here my first day ended as I had to get back and pick my kids up from school.

My second outing with the Bell took us down River Road to see a couple of Plantations.
First up is Destrahan Plantation c.1790
001.jpg

Close up of the Marker.
005.jpg

Next is Ormond Plantation c.1789
007.jpg

Oddly, there's no Historical Marker for Ormond. But it's history can be found HERE
Shot of the grounds between the House and the River.
009-1.jpg

From there we rode to Lasalle's Landing.
010.jpg

"In 1682, the French Explorer, Robert Cavalier De La Salle, landed in an Indian Village later to be known as the City of Kenner, proclaiming ownership in the name of Louis XIV, King of France. He erected a cypress cross to commemorate the historic event."
Coincidentally, Lasalle's Landing is also the location of the first Heavyweight Prize Fight in the U.S.
018-1.jpg

"In the predawn hours of May 10, 1870, a crowd of about 1,000 people left the New Orleans Jackson Street Railroad Station for Kennerville. There, in a makeshift ring in the back of William Butler Kenner's old sugar house, about 100 yards from the Mississippi River, Jed Mace of Beestown, Norwich, England beat Tom Allen of Birmingham, England in 10 rounds. The prize for the bare knuckle event was $2,500, winner take all"

From there we headed back towards home and passed through Laffreniere Park. Formerly the site of Laffreniere Plantation.
019.jpg

Close up of the Marker.
1127091323.jpg

That concluded my second outing with the Bell.

On (technically) the last day of my session with the Bell, we had our monthly Vintage Bike Night. Unfortunately the weather scared off everyone... but ME!!
However, I was able to get one last pic with the Bell... with some Hooter Girls ;D
0501001941.jpg

Awesome trip! Have to remember to stop for a few pictures with the bike once I get the bell...

Anywho, let Dakine have it first as it makes more sense then giving it to me first up.

Cheers - boingk

Will do ;)

Dakine, you're up! PM me your shipping info and I'll get it right off to ya ;D

Back
Top Bottom