CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget

pjdave said:
looking good

Thank you PJ.

Good day - bad day haha!

Managed to borrow the long stem allen socket and release the holding bolt holding the plunger mechanism in the fork housing. Renewed the oil seal, quite straight-forward really. Good day.

Pleased with myself I cleaned the legs and then realised I hadn't filled them with oil....DOH!! :rolleyes: School boy error haha! I'll find the capacity data and fill using a syringe though the lower bolt hole....which means getting them undone again!!

In other news.....tyres are on :D

Tried to show the difference in widths, but perspective is playing it's usual trick.

Can't wait to fit them up to check for clearances.

Thanks for checking in :)

Righto, I've had a good think in the garage and made a decision.

I'm going to keep the stock airbox, intake and filter housing which incorporates the battery holder as well as ignition/electrical components.

Having read a good few project threads about 'pods' and how they drastically affect the performance of CV carbs like the Kiehins on the CBX I've decided it's just not worth the bother for the sake of cheap looking pods which would be a git to fit anyway due to the frame spine being close to the middle two intakes.

I'm going to have hand made side covers anyway, so why not just house everything where it already was and extend the side covers to disguise the ugly airbox. I night even jazz it up a bit with some punch stainless sheet.

Also, I was dicking about with the rear guard as I now have tyres on the wheels, so quickly stuck the axle in and without the shock on I have no clearance issues that I can tell. The front edge of the guard needs trimming, but when I stuck the alloy guard on there is just looked right....so an alloy rear guard will be purchased at the next Kempton jumble. The filter box will provide a fixing point for it as well.

Needs trimming down, but this is the front anyway.

So, along with a number roundel, maybe part of the side panel?, I'll have all that I need in the correct place working as it should.

I might reposition the ignition switch as I like the idea of a central speedo and could mount it where the ignition barrel now sits....more thought about that in due course.

Fitted the seat locating/mounting lugs to the seat pan. Nylocs is the only way I could do it, they're right under where my arse will be.

So I cut three layers of yoga mat to line the pan and build up some more padding.

I might even find/make thick rubber washers so there'll be no danger of feeling the nuts.

Just need to make a H bracket to rivet to the front edge so the tank nut can also hold the seat in place as well.

Not bad for a few hours today. Cheers for checking in.

Snaffled a CBR 600 monoshock off my biker neighbour. Trial fit looks like it's too long...can it be shortened on the coils, anyone know that can help? Thank you.

Looks v/smart I have to say.

It's long by 40mm, I could modify the top mount which doesn't look too difficult.

Mount the remote tank on the subframe somewhere like this.

I'm pretty sure the spring rate will be OK, there's only 15kg difference between the two bikes.

Could I source a shorter coil to reduce the length? I'd remove it to paint it as yellow wouldn't suit the overall colour scheme.....maybe paint it orange?

Any advice would be good, cheers

just keep the stock shock on it or get an aftermarket shock made to fit
you cant just swap a shock from another bike and assume it might work because the bike have a similar weight that has nothing to do with whether it will work or not
if you want to go mucking with suspension get some books and learn

xb33bsa said:
just keep the stock shock on it or get an aftermarket shock made to fit
you cant just swap a shock from another bike and assume it might work because the bike have a similar weight that has nothing to do with whether it will work or not
if you want to go mucking with suspension get some books and learn

Yeah, thanx for that.

I had hoped it would go straight on, but I hadn't got any dimensions before collecting it last night. I know compressing it too much will not be good as it'll bottom out too soon.

I only asked if there was a tolerance in spring/length adjustment within the 30-40mm. I also know if the rear is raised significantly the steering will be affected and the chain may be too slack or rub on the frame.

I also know if I move the top mount it will affect the trajectory/alignment which could have a neg affect on handling, so will probably not move the mount.

I have another option for a monoshock, rather than fit the stock item. But, I may even end up doing that in the end.

xb33bsa said:
do you not still have the stock shock ?

Yes, I do. Hydro-pneumatic and trick in it's day.

It's an ugly/rusty brute but could clean up I suppose.

I had hoped a newer monoshock would work. I know of a UK shock absorber company that makes alloy billet bodies adjustable dampers/coil-overs who will build a 'made to measure' coil-over or me. I had thought to save money with the CBR item. Alas, it's not to be I fear.

ive been trying to look at a parts breakdown on that goofy thing i cant find cbx550 is it just a slereved 750 ? anyway rterason i ask is cause i have a shocvk that may siut at least it has possabilities .it isa foxtwin clicker from a v45 sabre which has the same configuration rear suspensionj...i think anyway ....the twin clicker as it is is quite long but its just got a long ass eye end on one end .it can be easily shortened to suit without messin with the spring length .how long was the stock shock yougot any pitchurs of it ? the twin clicker is a good by gawd american made unit just needs resealing.the biggest clue is the full travel of the stock shock...for a chance of viability

We didn't get the CBX550 in the US. I think Canada got them, but basically they were an up-sized CBX400....which we also didn't get

8ball said:
We didn't get the CBX550 in the US. I think Canada got them, but basically they were an up-sized CBX400....which we also didn't get

The CBX Nighthawk was the US version, more a cruiser than the sportsbike it was in Europe. The family of CBXs includes the 550 (baby 4x cylinder), 750 ( 4x cylinder) and the iconic 1000 6x cylinder mentalist machine.

Thanx for the offer of a shock, but if it has to be resealed and modified I could do that to a UK sourced shock for beer money to be honest. they're on the bay for $30-40.

I can revisit the stock shock which, although potentially 33yrs old, may still be OK? I have removed the gaitor which should go back together.

Lots to think about....thanks for your continued interest in my modest project.

the stock shock should be fine with a few good flushes and oil change i think the only major hurtle getting inside one is compressing and releasing the spring tension without killing or maiming ones self
it must have a port that you could use to drain or fill though or drill and tap the cannister for a 1/4 or 1/8 inch pipe fitting 8)

xb33bsa said:
the stock shock should be fine with a few good flushes and oil change i think the only major hurtle getting inside one is compressing and releasing the spring tension without killing or maiming ones self
it must have a port that you could use to drain or fill though or drill and tap the cannister for a 1/4 or 1/8 inch pipe fitting 8)

Haha.....thanks, i'll let you know how I get on. ;)

xb33bsa said:

I can't find shock absorber flushing oil, can I use rubber friendly thinners (non cellulose)? Nor can I find a drain plug....so it looks like I'll be drilling and tapping my own hole. Unless you have a spare hole XB, I'll pay shipping and taxes? Or are you talking out of all of them? :p

welll ive never worked on one of those shocks but have seen 'em had an interceptor 500 same lashup ...
its is just a pretty simple device tho...
post up a few pics from dif angles
i like oderless mineral spirits or bbg brigquete fuel for warshing parts neither one stinks so bad y'know

you will be happy with converting to the F2 shock if you are 180lbs+. Relocate the top pivot to keep the stock height. The F2 does have a stiffer spring rate but if you set it at the softest you will still have the ideal sag. You will find that it will be much better composed.

If you do this mod along with progressive springs in the front you will be even happier. The progressive springs for a CX650 are a direct fit. Run spacers with 0 air.

Could not find a good pic of the mod but you can see the F2 shock in the background and the relocated pivot on the frame. I still run the stock airbox without interference.

Attachments

• P1030847.JPG
    P1030847.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 563
Thank you CBXStan, just the information I was wanting, excellent report. I was toying with the idea of lengthening the lower mount....any thoughts?

The top mount can be easily relocated, so I am more than happy to carry out that mod. If I'm careful, could I cut the existing mounts off and move them up 40mm? New mounts aren't a problem either.

I'm not sure there is budget for £130s worth of progressives, so they may have to wait?

I'm just about to check out your projects. Cheers Colin

A little progress made tonight. Well tonight and last week.

Tonight I restored the speedo I snared the other week, came out nice. £10 a couple of hours, a few coats of paint and it's mucho better:

Before:

During:

After: three coats of Wurth Zinc paint and three coats of U-POL satin rattle can black.

Just give it a day and I'll tidy the paint line with a scalpel. It'll do.

The other night I polished a load of nuts n bolts and fittings etc.

Checking out material to make the side panels out of.....more of that later ;)

Spotted a cool tool box from back in the day at our VW club workshop night. Totally the correct era for my '82 CBX which might have been featured at the London Earl's Court Motorcycle Show :) I want to own it.

some nice work going on. those wheels are wild.........how times have changed

top job on the seat :)

Back
Top Bottom