72 CL100, Piglet

Re: Rachels 72 CL100 BLING Glamour shotsss

Great job here. Very clean resto. Love the paint color, almost the exact same as our '64 beetle (actually not a factory color for the beetle, but a later model bus). That creamy white is such a classic look.

And plus you did this whole project insanely quick. Props to you man!

Thanks bro!

yep a little to quick maybe. lol

I got parts coming in for the winter updates!

Fork springs just arrived today. Fresh from the chrome shop.

11494-210715181538.jpeg

Wow.....purdy...!!!

If its worth doing its worth overdoing, right?

Chrome shop I use does an awesome job. But take forever. This pair and the pair on my 360, and a couple other things all took about 6 weeks turn around time.

But worth it to me. Real chrome vs chrome-y paint is what separates the men from the boys. ;) lol

Real chrome ftw. Looks mint.

Need to find a guy around here for that. Beetle rear bumper needs chrome, but we've gotten quotes of $800-1200. Yikes

adventurco said:
Real chrome ftw. Looks mint.

Need to find a guy around here for that. Beetle rear bumper needs chrome, but we've gotten quotes of $800-1200. Yikes

Whoa! You cant just pick up a re-pop cheaper? heres the chrome shop. might send em an email, see what they say.

These guys are about 3 hours north west of me. I would like to get up there and see if I can get a tour one day.

Ive got no complaint. The first pair I got done for the 360 had a bit flaking after the first season. They made it right, no questions asked. Going on 3 years now I think. A little polish and they are still the prettiest part on the "pig". Well, second only to the ichiban sticker paint repair! ha

http://www.qualitychromeplating.com/

All the repro's are Brazilian made and rubbish, tough to find OE German. Would be worth it for a re chrome if the price was right. I'll check them out, thanks for the link

Well, I guess you win some and loose some. :p

I was messing w the side cover and noticed a funny little wrinkle in the paint under tank.

It got a small weeping fuel leak. So, Now I suppose Im gonna get an eduction in sealing a gas tank.

After some searches and reading, I think Im going w Por-15. I see that guys also like the caswell stuff.

hmmm... http://www.amazon.com/POR-15-49229-Cycle-Tank-Repair/dp/B00J5947ME/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437584423&sr=8-5&keywords=por+15+fuel+tank+sealer

Rachels 72 CL100 BLING Glamour shotsss

I did POR-15 on my tank. It goes on real nice and thick. Prep is a lot of work, but I decreased w/simple green (soak and rotate tank every 15 min or so until everything's been covered) rinsed w/ hot water til it comes out clean. Used the POR-15 metal prep using same process as above, then pour in the whole can of POR-15 and swish it around real good to cover everything. Drain it and let it cure.

Edit: make sure you dry the ever living crap out of it before putting the sealer in. I used a leaf blower then heat gun and rolled it around and around.

I was gonna do 2 coats but the first one covered real well.

I also haven't put fuel in it yet so that will be the ultimate test XD

I watched a video of a guy that used a sponge on a piece of wire with a sharp bend and painted the inside that way. Uses less paint maybe.

Duchat said:
I watched a video of a guy that used a sponge on a piece of wire with a sharp bend and painted the inside that way. Uses less paint maybe.

Seems like a lot of effort I only used about 1/3 of the half pint swishing it around, and got a nice thick even coat.

Re: Rachels 72 CL100

Nice, thanks guys.

The fan for Tuesdays Honda Fit came in, I got the radiator support straightened, (by hand w my foot against tire) They sure dont build them like they used to. lol. The radiator support is potato chip thin. drilled and tapped into frame rail w 4 stainless 1/4-20s & locktite. Hopefully, a bit stronger than spot welding this thin steel.

Fired her up this morning. So far so good. No funky engine lights and purred like a kitten. Both fans kick on w a/c.

I'll install the headlight tonight and take her for a test run after work this eve.

Now just waiting on plastic body parts (lower engine cover & inner fender). So, still on track for full re-assemble this weekend.

So, far im about 6 hours & $133.00 into this so quoted $3000.00 repair. :D

need to get the por-15 on its way.

Got rest of parts for daughters car today. so, I will/should have it finished tomorrow. :)

Getting back on track...

New 15 tooth "TURBO CHARGER" arrived today.

Ordering por15 tonight. So, this will give me something to do while waiting for ups man. ::)

Also, ordering new pads and rotors for the old ladys Subaru. Ugh :p

11494-240715202147.jpeg

trek97 said:
Getting back on track...

New 15 tooth "TURBO CHARGER" arrived today.

11494-240715202147.jpeg

Nice, if I ever get fully up and running I am going to keep the stock sprocket size. I like the torque, and where I'll be riding the speed limits don't go over 45mph.

JB77 said:
Nice, if I ever get fully up and running I am going to keep the stock sprocket size.

Dont worry we will figure it out. Sometimes Just time, patience and perseverance pays off.

Welp, Came to a stand still on the daughters Fit. I odered a pack of 10mm plastic push fasteners. Found I also need 8mm & 6mm. And NOPE, Autozone, Napa or Advance only stock the 10mm in 2 packs! I need like 50 of these damned things. So, adding to Amazon cart.

So, out w the car and back into the 100. While waiting for tank sealer to arrive.

Tore front end apart this morning and Installed chromed fork springs.

11494-260715083027-14412316.jpeg

To ensure maximum DRUM braking power be sure to "center" it on hub. Anytime the front or rear wheel axel is loosened. Clamp the lever TIGHT then tighten axel nut. Then cut loose and re-adjust lever action for free play.

11494-260715083027-14432457.jpeg

I also installed the 15 toother and painted the chain guard silver to match engine.

11494-260715083027-1444969.jpeg

After another trip to amazon for 8 &6mm plastic push fasteners. Got daughters car fixed.
No squeaks, rattles, shimmies or shakes. The hood is up about an 1/8 inch higher but hell didnt turn out half bad. drives and stops great.

$150.00 bucks and done.

11494-310715193259.jpeg

So now onto the POR-15 tank sealer.

Wrapped up and taped to try to save paint job. w a couple rags inside underneath in case anything weeps out leak hole.

11494-310715193213-14572354.jpeg

Warming up cleaner before mixing w warm water and adding to tank.

11494-310715193212-1448689.jpeg

coated old useless ebay petcock/ screw/ and tank opening hole and threads w Brownells Acra-glass release agent (left over from bedding rifle barrels). to help prevent the sticky stuff from adhering to anything it shouldnt (screw and threads mainly)

11494-310715193212-14552121.jpeg

11494-310715193213-14562191.jpeg

Now...currently got the etcher (metal ready) in the tank.

Re: Rachels 72 CL100, seal tank

JB77 said:
Nice job on the fit. Good luck with that tank

thanks bud, the pic dont show it but looks like she drove through a 120 grit sandpaper factory. All the clear coat is completely screwed. the roof and rearend are only decent areas left. Not really sure just how long I can live w it. But, that will be a HUGE job polishing.

Anyways. Etcher is almost done, been 2 hours. Waiting on that. Next rinse, rinse, rinse w hot water then SEALER! woohoo. I want to go to bed. ugh.

Back
Top Bottom