The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Another thing I noticed was after replacing the rear bushes I had quite a bit of understeer, everything was torqued and checked but what else could cause it? Could it be just because the rear end is stiffer now the old dodgy bushes have gone?

So got my bike back from the mechanic (been there for a week), he said the mikuni carb was wrecked so i gave him the stock carb to fit and tune. Picked the bike up, drove 2-3km, engine cuts out and I same problem all over again, idle is almost cutting out and throttle kills the engine. I know I have little idea about bike mechanics as this is my first bike, but should I be concerned if all my mechanic is looking at is the carb? this is carb number 2 and the same problem after all

are you sure that you don't run with the starter on
i see many people thinking the good carb starter position is closed, but the valve should be all open when off and closed when on.

did you put the ooracing jet kit?
i did it and remove it, was way (with open exhaust) to riche and no way to set the carb.
i also removed the ooracing cdi and put back the stock one.
the bike run fin now.

ChrisBNE said:
Another thing I noticed was after replacing the rear bushes I had quite a bit of understeer, everything was torqued and checked but what else could cause it? Could it be just because the rear end is stiffer now the old dodgy bushes have gone?

You likely were experiencing a little help from "rear wheel steering" if the bushes were worn to a point of movement, all rider input lean or inside counter steer was transferred to the swingarm pivot and caused a small shift allowing the backend to "step out" ???

Just add a tad more counter steer (pressure on inside grip) and you will ride out of it in no time.

Son of a Gun said:
So got my bike back from the mechanic (been there for a week), he said the mikuni carb was wrecked so i gave him the stock carb to fit and tune. Picked the bike up, drove 2-3km, engine cuts out and I same problem all over again, idle is almost cutting out and throttle kills the engine. I know I have little idea about bike mechanics as this is my first bike, but should I be concerned if all my mechanic is looking at is the carb? this is carb number 2 and the same problem after all

The good news is you can source a new motor for under $200 US and carbs are literally a lunch ticket for two!! have a look: I would just dive in and replace the carb with a good Muk and the entire ignition for a known CDI form: and just follow some Youtube video installs... 10 year old kids in the US (and other places I'm sure) build pit bikes that would scare the livin crap out of a newb and some vet riders lol... OH and fire the sob who worked on yer bike, hes of no help to you, spend the money on some basic tools. 8)

Motor
http://sell.pakuya.com/product-info/228524/156FMI-Lifan-125cc-engine-for-motorcycle-and-tricycle.html
Parts
http://ahpminis.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=171

Tune-A-Fish said:
You likely were experiencing a little help from "rear wheel steering" if the bushes were worn to a point of movement, all rider input lean or inside counter steer was transferred to the swingarm pivot and caused a small shift allowing the backend to "step out" ???

Just add a tad more counter steer (pressure on inside grip) and you will ride out of it in no time.
Yes that makes sense, I'm getting used to it now. A very strange sensation initially!

Thank you for the insight

Tad said:
I agree, the fairings do do a lot for the Ace but they are not the easiest thing to find.
That one of yours looks factory fitted, super job. Did you buy it new, or had it been on something else before?
The stays look well made, but looking at your exhaust your not short of tooling and skill.
Sometimes it's just a matter of offering things up and going from there, as mine from a 70s Jawa sports moped.
I bought i new, but it was a universal fairing.
I still have to cut to the right shape!

Just brought NZ Motorcycle Trader mag. Came with free Cafe Racer mag... Page 40, The Distinguished Gentelmans Ride... Someone's Ace 125 is pictured!!!

RobNZ said:
Just brought NZ Motorcycle Trader mag. Came with free Cafe Racer mag... Page 40, The Distinguished Gentelmans Ride... Someone's Ace 125 is pictured!!!

Hole-ee shiiiiiit! People still buy magazines?

;)

Can we get a hint as to whose bike it may be? A quick snap of the mag pic without the article ought to do the job!

Much better to crap with 8) Can't tell you where PUC is from apart from Aussie somewhere as that's where the article is based......

Although the seat does look familiar :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150526_220813.jpg
    IMG_20150526_220813.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 287
Clip-ons, piggy back shocks, relocated battery and pod filter... Shouldn't be long until someone in the know chimes in :)

I usually entertain myself on the john by calling friends, a habit I picked up from a mate who always used to give me the sh!t call when at work :p

Can't tell the locale from the photo but I don't think it's Sydney!

Sydney DGR 2013 had my 'Ace' alone, the huge DGR 2014 had ACEitup's bike, mine and (I think) one other.

A clearer image would help!

Crazy

Here are some pics of my Ace mostly cosmetic

Attachments

• IMGP0337.JPG
    IMGP0337.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 251
  • IMGP0339.JPG
    IMGP0339.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 233
  • IMGP0338.JPG
    IMGP0338.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 244
  • IMGP0340.JPG
    IMGP0340.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 255
Dat's me!

It was the Melbourne DGR. Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• 20140928_104528_HDR.jpg
    20140928_104528_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 291
  • 20140928_104437_HDR.jpg
    20140928_104437_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
Now that I've outed myself I suppose I should give up some details on the bike.

Got this under the now defunct 'Bike in a Box' scheme. Had some minor hassles getting Vicroads to understand it was not a personal import, but once I cleared that hurdle it was a straightforward process.

I got the bike primarily to commute on, so most mods are geared towards surviving in peak hour traffic.
First thing I did was improve the spark. It runs an upgraded coil, CDI, plug lead and plug. Air return system was removed, primary gearing upped one tooth for improved top end speed. A "26mm" Mikuni & pod filter fitted, catalytic converter chopped out and muffler replaced with a 17" reverse cone with baffle. Still pretty loud so I packed it with a couple of stainless steel pot scrubbers to slow the gas flow and quieten it down. It has passed the Highway Patrol Motorcycle unit test, i.e. followed for several km without being pulled over. So far I've improved the speed from an original 86km/h lying on the tank, up to a much more useful 105km/h measured with GPS.

The plastic tyres have been replaced with the Michelin M45's. They do the job adequately, but still scare me when cold sometimes. I look forward to sourcing a set of Pilot Sportys.

Ergonomically I needed a little more forward reach to the bars, so I fitted a set of Ace Clubman bars that give me a bit more stretch over clip-ons. They've got Napoleon bar end mirrors and clear gum barrel grips, and the riding position is quite comfortable for me now. I've still got alloy switch blocks and a better brake master to fit yet. I had to relocate the front indicators to the side reflector mounts so that I had clearance for the brake and clutch levers.

I have relocated the battery under the seat hump, mounted the rear indicators directly to the frame. I recovered the seat with some very nice leather that was recycled from a throwaway couch on the side of the road. Suede upper on the seat to reduce the slipping I was having on the vinyl. I also recycled an old belt as the tank strap, which works nicely. The rear shocks are replacement units for a Honda 400 that I chose because they were nitrogen filled and had preload adjustment. They are a bit on the stiff side, but work well with my weight. Adding fork spacers is still on the to-do list.

After blowing my third headlight globe I bought a cheap LED replacement globe. It doesn't give me any more light than the old globe, but I'm always in an urban environment, and the light is more about being seen than throwing a good beam down the road.

So far I've had to true up the rear wheel, which was delivered quite wobbly, and the cush drive rubbers let go at about 4,000 km in. I change the oil about every 2,000 km, and we now have 6,000 km on the clock.

I found the fuel filler cap would leak badly under braking whenever I had a full-ish tank, so I cut two disks of Gasket paper and put them inside the rubber gasket. The cap still goes on easily, but now I don't get fuel dripping onto the exhaust header which I reckon is a good thing.

All in all I think it's a pretty bullet proof bike and it still surprises me that I can be comfortable on it for 45 minutes at a time given I am 6'2". As the old saying goes "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow", and that absolutely holds true in the commuting environment. I've been riding it for around 2 years now and everyone loves it. It gets more attention than any other bike I have owned, and I still get people going out of their way to complement it.

Mike

Attachments

• DGR_Profile.jpg
    DGR_Profile.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,212
Good stuff Mike. Love the helmet and goggle look. DGR was small here in Christchurch NZ, but great atmosphere.

MaSK said:
Dat's me!

Mystery solved!

Your list of modifications covers most of the really useful changes; you will find that some fork pre-load really helps that front end dive.

Keep us posted on your 'Ace' experiences,

Crazy

Back
Top Bottom