artists or designers

themotoworks

Been Around the Block
are there any artists and or designers, graphic, industrial, etc on here? preferably professional or with a degree? I'd love to have a few people to help critique some of my bike concepts before I get to thinking they're all that and a bag of chips.

I have a masters degree in Bull Shit and always happy to give my opinion on everything and anything. ;)

Hit us up with your drawrings and we'll tell ya if they're shit or not...promise :)

I know a good bike when I see one...and I've seen a few.

ducenduro2_zps4mhwbfol.jpg
[/URL]
ducenduro1_zpstdrtzzf3.jpg
[/URL]

working on an enduro styled racer, I don't think I can conceal a radiator well in the small fairing so I might try to power this one with some of the newer air cooled motors instead of the 996 pictured, but I think I want to design a full fairing for a water cooled motor, maybe an 848 to keep it very light

themotoworks said:
ducenduro2_zps4mhwbfol.jpg
[/URL]
ducenduro1_zpstdrtzzf3.jpg
[/URL]

working on an enduro styled racer, I don't think I can conceal a radiator well in the small fairing so I might try to power this one with some of the newer air cooled motors instead of the 996 pictured, but I think I want to design a full fairing for a water cooled motor, maybe an 848 to keep it very light

Consider something built in under the seat, kinda like a snowmobile or the Tularis

2a57ef8912076d38bc20cfad8e80fe20.jpg

You would need to design around it a little, but could be made to work with some proper ducting.

the ds motors are quite nice, good head design etc. I want the ability to run a liquid cooled engine because the 848 comes in 20lbs less than the 900ss I know well, if I could get the bike down to 265 dry and pushing 120hp, I think that would really draw a specific crowd, plus is could race in 750 class

I looked into using heater cores to distribute the radiator area maybe I could put one under the seat one in the front fairing and one behind the front fender

IMG_20180910_163204469_zpsmt9mule9.jpg

getting closer to a final design, any thoughts?

the concept is to ditch the air cooled motors, build the bike around an 848evo and shoot for 265lbs dry, I originally wanted to go with an "enduro" look, but I felt like that was just going for style points, this bike is a race bike so it shouldn't be trying to look like something it's not. there are winglets on the front lower fairing, and the fairing is mostly split, so my thoughts were to add a runner in the split area to feed the air box, the radiator from the 848 fits nicely inside the lower fairing and the oil cooler fits in the front of the belly pan. the only steel part on the bike will be the frame, the subframe and all fairings and fenders will be 100% carbon, not even any metal brackets, just going to build them as hollow parts that will bolt directly to the frame to save weight. I am thinking carbon for the tank for a race only version, and aluminum for a street type, so 265 for race only and I could probably still hit 275 for a fully street legal model

MotoGP bikes, with literally carbon everything, wheels, swingarm, fairings, etc come in at 350lbs. The 848, is 370 dry, more like 400 wet. 265, that'll take some doing that costs a literal small fortune.

themotoworks said:
I already built a 900ss that's 295 dry, no carbon wheels either. MotoGP has a minimum weight limit as well.
You dropped 120lbs of a 900SS? How?

only kept the engine. minimal chromoly frame, carbon subframe, carbon seat, tank, fenders, fairing, marchesini aluminum wheels, titanium exhaust, carbon engine covers, my own aluminum swingarm, titanium and carbon mufflers, very minimal fairing brackets from lasercut aluminum, airbox replaced with stacks and foam filters, took a few lbs off the flywheel. the subframe/seat is too heavy still though, since I made it from 4 distinct pieces. It could be one and still lighter. the fairing can be made still lighter by building it thinner but as hollow glued up assemblies, which would then mount directly to the frame, eliminating any metal except for the screws. if it were a race only bike, the headlight, lighting, lots of wiring and switch gear could also be removed. I could possibly go with titanium for the frame and reduce 4-5lbs there, but I couldn't transfer a stock steering head in that case, so it would be track only.

The bike on BikeExif?

Nice work.

Curious question, you used to go by RocCity Cafe?

What is your goal with this bike? I like your model, its simple and looks good, but its not really saying anything new. It looks a lot like other performance focused motorcycles. The problem with optimizing rider ergonomics, for sport, is that things all kind of end up looking the same. Holding a body in relation to a machine doesn't allow for much deviation.

I would determine what you want the bike to convey emotionally and visually and then let that guide your aesthetic decision making process. I would also start off with making sketches that have very bold simple gestures and refining it back from there. Perhaps if you want to convey the lightness of the finished product you could introduce more negative space within the profile to make it look as light as it is.

lots of good books on the subject. https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Design-Aesthetic-Principles-Transportation/dp/1138685607/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536739647&sr=1-1&keywords=vehicle+design

my $0.02 fwiw as a industrial designer and someone who has worked at custom motorcycle shop that has had several builds on bikeexif....

thanks, that kind of feedback helps. I think I struggle with coming up with far out concepts, and tend to work out the aesthetic part after the mechanical part is done, I'll check out the book too. I'm sorta torn in that I want to design something that stands out, but being that the bike will essentially be a race bike, it does seem that some practical norms force themselves into my ideas about how it should look, which then makes it look boring haha.

Back
Top Bottom