CL350 Junker Wrenching

That IS weird looking. And Im sorry I cant help w any info on that. right or wrong.

I dont own a 350 and have never worked on one.

Im mostly just here to watch and learn. And offer any helpful tips I can along the way.

But Im sure there is a reason for the two individual gears. Otherwise, It seems they would be one.

From your pic it appears the two gears behind the oil filter cup are mis-aligned the same to match it though?

Been so long since I messed w my 360 I cant recall that.

75 CB400f and 72 CL100 both...only has one fat gear.

11494-230918062157-4406533.jpeg

The gears on your clutch basket are correct. They are not the same as the CB360, CB400 or CL100.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware that there had been this change. I just looked up the year and saw there was an earlier version, but a fairly straightforward run after that. I wonder if that will make replacements a snipe hunt? Or is there some forward compatibility there?

Would that alter the means of removing the basket from the shaft? Generally, I always play it on the safe side when I’m removing key components, so I hated to muscle it off.

Also curious to know what you guys think of that wear pattern. I suppose that could be from manufacturing, but it’s so inconsistent across the edge.

those gears are exactly where they are supposed to be. They are retained by rivets from the backing plate though the basket. The two gears on the crankshaft - inboard of the centrifugal oil filter are matched with the same tooth offset. The design is to reduce gear whine in a straight cut primary drive and avoid side thrusts from helical gears.

Scratch that...after looking at the website listed on your diagram I can see this is par for the course on the machining. Removing it is still up in the air.

You’re right. I suppose the offset just looked strange to me. I’ve enjoyed disassembling this engine. It’s a genius design.

MandoSteve said:
Scratch that...after looking at the website listed on your diagram I can see this is par for the course on the machining. Removing it is still up in the air.

I’ve been skimming thru this thread, nice work so far. I’ve built a few 350’s but it’s been a little while. Are you having trouble removing the clutch basket?

If so, have you removed the oil pump? I believe the pump’s plunger mechanism attaches behind the clutch basket, and the pump housing needs to be unscrewed before removing the clutch basket and gears. With the clutch basket circlip removed wiggle the basket/gears and you’ll notice the resistance coming from the right side near the oil pump.

Looking like you got solid answers. And thats what makes this forum great. 8)

I agree completely. Great to see people contributing. I never realized there was such a large culture on these boards. There’s quite a few of them.

I did remove the oil pump. Once I got the basket about 3/4 off the shaft I was able to palm the both the pump and screen and slide them out. I went ahead and set them to the side so there was no pressure on the arm for the pump while I was working out how to get the basket removed. I almost feel like I might be too tentative with it. Like I said, I’m use to being mild since I’m typically working on other people’s equipment. Maybe I should just get on this thing and walk it off. Maybe I’m just not holding my mouth right. Tough call.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I walked into the shop and it pulled off easy as pie. Go figure. Clearly, I wasn’t holding my mouth right. I’ll get back at it tomorrow.

MandoSteve said:
I walked into the shop and it pulled off easy as pie. Go figure. Clearly, I wasn’t holding my mouth right. I’ll get back at it tomorrow.

Haha must have been the mouth all along. You’re not alone my mouth has often made things considerably more difficult...

Overall, that day was productive. I completed the removal of most of the components under the right-side cover and started cleaning the compartment. I have changed my mind on the GSXR forks. I think I will knock those back out and go stock. Question for the knowing: is the front fender plus bracket a factor in stability?

Attachments

• IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
You'll get along w the bracket alone just fine.

The only downside is slinging shit all over the engine and yourself.

IMO. I prefer the appearance of a bike w fenders.

Lets me think to myself, "Oh yeah, I would ride that." Instead of, "Looks cool parked in pics but Nope"

I can see that would be the case. I wondered about it, mostly because I have the front fender but it appears to have been modified. I also have two extra forks. Thinking about putting the original stem/forks back just so I don’t have to constantly match parts. Just a thought.

After I got a Cub Cadet off the bench that had a bad drive belt, I did this today. Believe it or not, this has certainly come a long way. I’ll still need to make another pass with soft Scotch Brite to remove the rest of the gasket, but this is progress. All the removed parts have been measured, cleaned and had some white lithium reapplied. I’ll try to reassemble tomorrow and might get a jump on cleaning the covers themselves.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 287
It’s a thin layer of surface lubricant. It should keep it from rusting since it is clean of oil and exposed to the air.

MandoSteve said:
It’s a thin layer of surface lubricant. It should keep it from rusting since it is clean of oil and exposed to the air.

Ahhh. LOL, now I see. Just for storage during the rebuild then. ;D

Im all sitting here like....Uhhh, Clutch slipping much?!?!? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom