1997 BMW F650ST to F650R: Enduro Hellride Conversion

Re: 1997 BMW F650 El Diablo Hellride

That bore looks great! How many miles? Rotax correct?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
That bore looks great! How many miles? Rotax correct?

Yep, Rotax. Crazy, as bulletproof as these motors are, stupid can still do them in. There's 20k on the clock, which really should be just broken in.

irk miller said:
Yep, Rotax. Crazy, as bulletproof as these motors are, stupid can still do them in. There's 20k on the clock, which really should be just broken in.
Rotax makes good equipment. Well used (And well liked) in the snowmobile world as well. Bombardier / skidoo used them for years

Hurco550 said:
Rotax makes good equipment. Well used (And well liked) in the snowmobile world as well. Bombardier / skidoo used them for years

Take a wild guess what the 2-into-1 intake for the single carb conversion I'm about to do is from.

irk miller said:
Take a wild guess what the 2-into-1 intake for the single carb conversion I'm about to do is from.
Ha!

Hurco550 said:
Ha!

The intake is from a Bombardier DS650 ATV. I ended up buying two different carbs to try out- a Mikuni VM 40 from a Ski Doo Formula Z and a Dell'orto PHM40 from a Husaberg. The Dell-Orto is the more proper carb for this conversion. The Mikuni has no choke, so I'd have to add it in.

irk miller said:
The intake is from a Bombardier DS650 ATV. I ended up buying two different carbs to try out- a Mikuni VM 40 from a Ski Doo Formula Z and a Dell'orto PHM40 from a Husaberg. The Dell-Orto is the more proper carb for this conversion. The Mikuni has no choke, so I'd have to add it in.
The mikuni has no choke? That's strange. Or is it the second carb from a dual carb setup? Sometimes only one had a choke.

What's your obsession with having to put atv parts on your bikes man? Ha

Hurco550 said:
The mikuni has no choke? That's strange. Or is it the second carb from a dual carb setup? Sometimes only one had a choke.

What's your obsession with having to put atv parts on your bikes man? Ha

Hahaha. I want rid of the cv carbs and a good conversion is to go to the PHM. It may have been a second carb. No idea. I don't know enough about sleds. It has a plug in the choke hole.

irk miller said:
Hahaha. I want rid of the cv carbs and a good conversion is to go to the PHM. It may have been a second carb. No idea. I don't know enough about sleds. It has a plug in the choke hole.
You wouldn't get a well tuned sled started up without choke ha, probably a second on a dual carb setup.

What about an for mx_pumper?

This is the bike the PHM40 comes stock on. Not sure why you guys are questioning the carb.

bikepics-787574-full.jpg

You don't automatically get drastic gains from a pumper. Oftentimes, they're marginal. Fuel efficiency is guaranteed to go down drastically, though. This motor is built to be efficient. I'm okay with going away from the CV carb to sacrifice some gas mileage for performance gains. But, I think a pumper has less to offer in total gain. I question how much difference throttle response will actually be. I plan to put a lot of road miles on this bike. It's not for pure off road. A pumper carb sucks on a road bike for fuel economy.

irk miller said:
This is the bike the PHM40 comes stock on. Not sure why you guys are questioning the carb.

bikepics-787574-full.jpg
I wasn't saying the phm40 was a bad choice, just wondering why pass by the fcrmx. Strictly out of curiosity for me.

I will say though, in my personal experience with the dr650, the power gains from the fcr over the stock cv were massive and only a 7% average drop in mpg, and that's with about 1500 miles on the road on the fcr. I'm weird, I figure up mileage every time I fill up on everything I own lol

Hurco550 said:
I wasn't saying the phm40 was a bad choice, just wondering why pass by the fcrmx. Strictly out of curiosity for me.

I will say though, in my personal experience with the dr650, the power gains from the fcr over the stock cv were massive and only a 7% average drop in mpg, and that's with about 1500 miles on the road on the fcr. I'm weird, I figure up mileage every time I fill up on everything I own lol

That’s comparing to a CV. How much HP gained over a non-CV, non-pumper?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

irk miller said:
That’s comparing to a CV. How much HP gained over a non-CV, non-pumper?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Couldn't tell you that, not sure.

"power gains from the fcr over the stock cv were massive and only a 7% average drop in mpg,"

that is why you run the pumper you can run it to the lean side all the way thru the curve and tweak both the shot and the nozzle on the pump to deliver a powerstroke shot

for power increase with out richening the overall mixture

Hurco550 said:
I didn't like the FCR on the DR, to be honest. I never got that bike's tune sorted out. But why I chose the Dell'Orto was because there's a boatload of information for Dell'Orto PHM carbs on Rotax motors. Husky and Husaberg runs them. BMW ran them on the R90S. Guzzi runs them. Ron Woods Racing actually runs Mikuni TM45's on their DS650 Rotax motors. I'm only in $60 for this Dell'Orto, plus whatever it costs to tune it. I'm just fucking around at this point. Nothing is off the table. I may go to the TM next. I loved the TM carb on the DR. I know Ski-Doo and Arctic Cat run TM40s on their 600 and 800cc 2 stroke motors.

Ryan Stecken said:
Looking good irk!
May I ask how you welded that piece in and which material you used?

Thanks!

Thanks. Oxy/Acetylene with a #0 torch tip. The sheet metal patch is 18ga vs whatever thinness the Honda tank is. I'll try to match the hole a little better on the other side, so hopefully my welds end up neater. It's been 20 years since I last did this. LOL

Back
Top Bottom