CB550 front end on a Triumph hardtail bobber build... front wheel questions??

RichPugh

So my buddy bought a Triumph chopper/bobber roller and the PO used a stock CB550 tree/fork/wheel setup in front and it's actually pretty cool as it is. He's looking to run a 21" (or larger) front wheel with no front brake and I suppose someone out there has chopped/bobbed a CB550 or knows what kind of wheel spacing or requirements he'll need to follow to get a nice cimple clean 21" naked front wheel on there. Heck, I dont even know if the 550/750 wheels are interchangeable... Any ideas? I'm pretty far removed from the chopper/bobber world... I'm a cafe guy myself... I told him to keep the 19" front, run a smaller tire and keep the front brake but he doesnt want to bother with the (quite simple) the hydraulic MC... probably due to aesthetics... but this thing looks fun as hell to ride regardless so I'm just looking to help him out.

-Rich

4438321795_f83172688e_b.jpg

4439098972_f985c0603e_b.jpg

Re: CB550 front end on a Triumph hardtail bobber build... front wheel questions?

I think I found at least one answer... keep the front hub and lace it to a 21" drop center rim... like this dude - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXJTkv1Qvo

Check in with ProTeal here - he's a 21" wheel guru on Honda front ends (if my memory serves me right)

RichPugh said:
So my buddy bought a Triumph chopper/bobber roller and the PO used a stock CB550 tree/fork/wheel setup in front and it's actually pretty cool as it is. He's looking to run a 21" (or larger) front wheel with no front brake and I suppose someone out there has chopped/bobbed a CB550 or knows what kind of wheel spacing or requirements he'll need to follow to get a nice cimple clean 21" naked front wheel on there. Heck, I dont even know if the 550/750 wheels are interchangeable... Any ideas? I'm pretty far removed from the chopper/bobber world... I'm a cafe guy myself... I told him to keep the 19" front, run a smaller tire and keep the front brake but he doesnt want to bother with the (quite simple) the hydraulic MC... probably due to aesthetics... but this thing looks fun as hell to ride regardless so I'm just looking to help him out.

-Rich

4438321795_f83172688e_b.jpg

4439098972_f985c0603e_b.jpg

Man, that is gooood lookin'!

Nice bike... How about a cool old 21" wheel from a dirtbike. This is badass, cheap and that little drum would look awesome:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-KTM-250-Hare-Scrambler-FRONT-WHEEL-Brake-rim-21-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255a050ae2QQitemZ160424069858QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Im sure all you would need is a couple small spacers cut to center the wheel and adapt the axle. Should be pretty simple.

Even better.. how about a 23 inch front rim from an early 80's honda XL250?
You can get the entire front end very cheap the front uses a very small drum brake...

Watch craigslist or ebay......any 21" sportster or dyna rim will lace right up to the stock Honda hub using the stock Honda spokes. I laced a stock harley 21" rim to my 71 CB500/4......was a really easy job.
Stock Harley rim:
wA4YWkyoJPW0V88IyPWAOKFaGdsY.jpg

21" Rim on 500/4
cb500a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom