The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550- New Electrical

Re: NEED HELP QUICK The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550

sxecafe said:
oh nice! do you know the answer to my swap question?

they should mount right on with some fresh bearings... im pretty sure the triple trees are the same....

just check the bearing height when you pop them all off of the frame and trees, and then stack the new bearings accordingly.

gl1100 front ends are a great upgrade for this bike. I say to go with dual disk, move the forks up in the trees about an inch (or however longer the gl forks are compared to stock, plus move em up another half inch or so) get some progressive springs, and if you really want some crazy performance, get some valve emulators.

this is all personal preference of course... play around with it until you get it where you like it. I like it when by bikes flick side to side in a second and the front end is nice and firm. ;D

Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550

Picked up a whole 75 gl1000 front end today. Should be here in a week or so. I need some clip ons to fit a 37mm fork now. After that I should have everything to start mocking this thing up and making the tank and seat. That makes me a bit nervous but, I gotta keep pushing the envelope. If you dont evolve, you die.

This is really cool, man!

I love what you are doing with it....If my tubes weren't MINT...I'd go to a GL frontend with dual discs in a minute!

I do need a GL1000 Master cylinder setup. :-\

I've already started spending alot of $$$ on the bike...but I don't want to jsut throw money at it....I want to build/fab most of the stuff.

Any updates on the build??

~Joe

So I finally got to work on this build today and it was nice to get back in the garage and dirty again. I started the mold for my tank and messed with the seat set up as well.

Here is the start:

IMG_0766.jpg

Here is the stencil/shape Im going for:

IMG_0779.jpg

Here it is on the bike:

IMG_0775.jpg

Here is me setting up the foam:

IMG_0768.jpg

Here is the Stencil on the block.

IMG_0777.jpg

Half way done:

IMG_0780.jpg

Done:

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Setting up the hoop:

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

Im still having trouble figuring out how to shape the sides of the tank. I just cant visualize how I need to cut it down in order to look right. Any one have any ideas?

Still so much to do but its a start.

Oh yea baby, put on the 550 threads! Moving up in the world.

I messed up my mold so I have to start over again. However, I know what I did wrong and the next one should be pretty damn cool.

TAX RETURN!!!!

So I wanted to get a bunch of smaller things: Whats the Best Spark plug to get for these guys? NGK, Champion? What are some suggestions. Also, I wanted to get the NGK spark plug cables.

Anyone had any experience with the Universal Tarozzi rearsets? Do you need to buy the mounts they make as well?

Who ever owns Dime City Cycles is about to get a big order.

sxe

NGK plugs are the way to go. On a 550 you cant rplace the wires easily... At least you cant on the 500s. They are implanted into the coils. Ive seen people who have done it, but its risky. It involves drilling into your coils... The reasets will always require fab work and or a custom mount unless they are made for YOUR model.

Thank you for the remarks, sir. I appreciate the input!

So I had a redo on the tank this weekend. I almost messed this one up too when I tried to sand down the knee dents, infact I did mess it up but I was able to take the rear of the first attempt and tack it on to this foam with a little work on the seam I think it will look really good. The seat will complete the ass end transition so that its a smooth full slope in to the seat.

Here are the side views:
IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

The Front:
IMG_0863.jpg

The Back:
IMG_0861.jpg

Next up is to glass the top. Im a little nervous as I have not glassed something that would hold liquid but Im ready for the challenge.

Thoughts or comments?

;D ;D ;D I got my front end today! I found a dude on CL about two months ago that was getting rid of a 76 Goldwing. Turns out that he wanted to part the thing out so for couple hundred bucks I told him to send the whole front end (minus the rubber) my way. I had to wait until he thought it would be worth it ($$$) to come down to my neck of the woods. In a weird way I think the guy had a good idea... prob made around $2000 today with all the other shit he had to sell.

Here is the whole deal:

DSC_0136.jpg

The wheel:

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

The Forks:

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

The Trees:

DSC_0139.jpg

I got the front end on to mock up the look (yes I know that the calipers are on backwards) and I ran in to an issue.

The rig:

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

Here is my issue... The top bearings are too tall for the CB550 Frame.

DSC_0158.jpg

I remember someone else having this issue and there was a relatively east fix. Anyone have any ideas?

Just found this... anyone know if it will work? I cant find a measurement for it to compare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120531811494&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a6b2a6931270a0266c4386f3ffa30dcf&rvr_id=&ua=M*S%3F&itemid=120531811494#ht_1183wt_1167

When I swapped front ends, I researched the bearing dimensions for each application ( KZ750/CBR929 in my case ) and looked for a bearing with the inner dimensions of the CBR stem and the outer dimensions of the KZ. I found a set that would work so you should be able to as well. Although in the end I had a friend machine the CBR stem to fit the stock KZ bearings instead.

do what i did...swap stems...

step 1: grind weld, press out Honda stem
swap1.jpg

step 2: heat up and press stem out of tree, breaking retaining clip that I ddnt know was there....lol

swap2.jpg

Step 3: tap stem into tree, weld....VOILA!
swap3.jpg

step 4 will be to powedercoat the triples black, like the old one

You can go either of the suggested routes. Weld the 550 stem into the GL tree or shim the hell out of the bearing. The weld option is the better of the two though IMO.

Back
Top Bottom