1977 GL1000 Double Deuce Hell Ride

Front wheel is setup. I'll get new spokes from Buchanan when I can afford them. I cleaned these up for now. Next item is to figure out a proper 300mm rotor. Rumor has it a certain Ducati bolts up. Not sure which one yet.

e5dde422a3f3c63a300c9a75b90f2e33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your still looking for a petcock plan, you could plug the existing ports with brass and cut them flush, then I have used a good sharp punch and poked hols in both sides as low as possible then open them just until a chunk of steel tube fits tight... the punch roles the metal inward and gives a nice weld grove with good meat to weld to. You could even flair it for a fitting or thread it with a die, but then I just run both into a Y fitting then into a remote Petcock.

Tune-A-Fish said:
If your still looking for a petcock plan, you could plug the existing ports with brass and cut them flush, then I have used a good sharp punch and poked hols in both sides as low as possible then open them just until a chunk of steel tube fits tight... the punch roles the metal inward and gives a nice weld grove with good meat to weld to. You could even flair it for a fitting or thread it with a die, but then I just run both into a Y fitting then into a remote Petcock.
I completely cut out the bottom of the tank. It was so fucked, I said fuck it. I'll make a whole new bottom that wraps the frame with strategically placed petcock locations, or possibly one in the center rear. I'm also looking at boat fuel cells or having a aluminum one made to fit. Then the tank becomes a tank cover that gets welded to the seat to form a unibody. 8)

deviant said:
I completely cut out the bottom of the tank. It was so fucked, I said fuck it. I'll make a whole new bottom that wraps the frame with strategically placed petcock locations, or possibly one in the center rear. I'm also looking at boat fuel cells or having a aluminum one made to fit. Then the tank becomes a tank cover that gets welded to the seat to form a unibody. 8)

Nice!

Get off that moldy money and buy it. I bet you won't regret it lol

I just got in a pair of 95/96 YZF600R discs for the front wheel. Two measurements on these hubs are direct fit: the 6 X 80mm bolt pattern and the 300mm OD. What I need to fix: YZF has a shallower offset and a thinner mounting plate. YZF has a 64mm ID vs 60mm on the GL.

I'm waiting on shipment of a pair of 99 - 02 SV650 Tokico calipers to determine necessary offset. Most likely scenario, I have a pair of spacers of certain thickness machined with a 2mm X 5mm inner shoulder.

f8ad6b3d67ebc69f66c609943e1db973.jpg

Sexy legs for an old bike. Like plastic surgery for motorcycles!

Yep. Gonna need to document the steps on one of the next tear downs with parts used, I think many will use this mod if it is put where it can be found.

I have a nice set of those rotors btw..

Tune-A-Fish said:
I have a nice set of those rotors btw..
Fuckin' A. I should've asked. I'd be interested in a spare set if you decide to clear some space.

I don't think those are the right year. They have to specifically be 95/96 for 300mm OD and 6 x 80mm bolt pattern. 90 - 94/5 have a 6 x 80 bolt pattern, but a 298mm OD. The earlier discs are a popular XS swap, iirc.

I think we'll run ATV HI Pro Tapers. The height feels really good.

ac292affce38a11bba74fc43de846c5b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom