Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Massive delay caused by the machinist I mentioned earlier that made the swingarm shock mounts. I had the stem quoted on Draft A, then requoted on Draft B. I ordered Draft B, and they made and sent Draft A. Not useable, the dimensions are wrong for the final application. To their credit, they made a replacement in 1 week. But then it has been stuck in shipping for 20 days, and I can't get in contact with the courier. Now that I really have time to think about it, I should have made the stem by myself on the Colchester, and now I may actually have to. Would be fun, and save me 200 EUR. But now I'm stuck in the middle where the stem may arrive any day, so I don't want yet to order the stock, tap, drill and cutter inserts required to make it myself. I will wait a while longer. Next milestone is pressing in the stem, shortening the forks, and making it a roller.
I found a maple seed sprouting in a crack in the driveway, so I replanted it in an ashtray as a little shop buddy. I will update regularly on its progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3936.jpg
    IMG_3936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
The replacement stem arrived, after 20 days with the shipper. I brought it to my guy and had it pressed into the lower yoke, along with the spacer, bearing, and seal.

Attachments

• IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 211
Forks ready to be shortened. I assembled the forks with no springs, and then assembled the bike for the first time with the forks and swingarm. I set the rake to 26 degrees, and measured the forks to determine how much had to be removed from the springs. I made some top-out spring spacers out of acetal on the lathe earlier, and cut them to length to the new measurements. No pictures of any of this, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 207
Assembled steering stem. Pretty happy with this. I'll make the steering stops once the bike is on the ground with the tank on, so I can turn the bars and determine tank / fork clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
Threw some paint on the frame just to cover up the bare spots. The whole bike will be disassembled after road trials and MOT for a final clean up and beautification, including frame bead blast and paint, tank and side cover paint, and new tires etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_3948.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3947.jpg
    IMG_3947.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
This is the assembly to determine the rake. Just after this the forks were removed, shortened, and rebuilt with new seals and oil. Again, no pictures of this, but it was pretty straight forward work.

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3952.jpg
    IMG_3952.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 210
Roller! This is most complete mock-up to date. Very, very pleased with how it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
Looking great. Any ideas what you will do for a radiator? I am building a DZR special and I will use a rad from a CR250, china special with extra thick core. For me this offers a good size, most other rads are too wide. Front wheel clearance is an issue I struggled with. Really enjoying your pics

What are you doing for a front fender? Besides keeping rain and rocks out of your face, you will need one to protect whatever radiator you use.

Thank you, guys! The radiator will be the stock KTM radiator. I've modified it a little to remove some tabs and bits, and the fan will be mounted in the centre, between the frame tubes. It looks fine, and at least I'll have good confidence that it won't overheat. The front fender will be a chromed steel fender, almost full cb550 length. Not short. I've yet to work out the fender stays, but I do have some ideas. I'll probably make steel loops that attach to the fork legs.

Here it is outside. I threw the front brake on so I could get it down the ramp, and wheeled it outside. The garage is small enough that I was struggling to see it from the side, so this really let me take some pictures, sit on it, wheel it around, try out the centrestand, etc.
Sitting on it was a huge milestone, as you can imagine.

Attachments

• IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 226
I should start by saying that I don't like this, but it may go forward anyway. I would much prefer a reverse cone muffler, or maybe something like the Mivv x-cone. But, the next milestone on the project is to make it a runner, and using the exhaust that came with the bike will allow me to spend my time and money on things that further that goal, and I can go back and change it later.

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3970.jpg
    IMG_3970.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 224
Shop buddy might actually make it. The cotyledon leaves are kind of dried up and may not fully open, but it is growing new leaves in the centre bit. It lives in an ashtray and I water it by taking a shop rag and soaking up rainwater that seeps under the garage door, and wringing it out into the soil. God help it.

Attachments

• IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 223
looks great. My only conern about the muffler would be its very wide and low and may cause cornering clearance problems. Is there anyway to angle it up more?

Back
Top Bottom