'81 CB750k Tracker - Build #3

ncologerojr

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Now I've completed two low budget builds, and I've learned a ton. Thankfully both have found good homes while bringing a small profit. Now I'm ready for #3, and many more hard lessons.

I found this great '81 cb750k on craigslist not too far from home. It was in nice running condition, and came from a great owner.

I've been researching/planning this build for a while so I ordered up some parts, and started teardown.

Now a little lighter its up on the table for some exhaust work.

The first parts arrived. Gsxr 750 carbs should help with running pods, and cb900 cams should wake up the engine a bit.

I've been brainstorming about the exhaust for a while. I first went online and checked out some exhaust options. There are a lot of options out there, but most are pricey. I always try to do the most with what I have, so I started of looking for ways to modify the stock exhaust to fit my needs. I ordered a length of 1.5"OD exhaust tubing and went to work.

The plan is to weld everything up, coat with an exhaust spray, and then wrap the pipes. The mufflers will be ground smooth and sprayed black. That was just one of the four stock exhaust cones that I hacked up to test. If I go this route it will be a bit cleaner and baffling added. I'm still not completely sold on the idea...

I finished welding the new 2-1 header, and as usual I wasn't satisfied. So I scrapped it and started over.

I started on the new design by cutting and adding 2" to the #4 header between the bends so it will be level with the #3.

Then I went to work on making a slip on 2-1 merge. It looks a little rough now, but after sanding and paint it should be acceptable. The merge will have a 2" OD exit tube into the muffler.

Super shop...... and mad welding skills to boot. Looking like a hell of an exhaust system so far. 8) 8) 8)

Sorry, no updates recently. I haven't had a chance to get much work done, I should have a new update soon...

BUT! I got my hands on a much overdue new edition to the shop. My new Miller Diversion 180 tig!

u5a5y6yb.jpg

I wish I had this when I did all of the exhaust work...it might get redone...

Back
Top Bottom