Paint over powdercoat

randy lahey

I'm almost at the stage of painting my gas tank. I'm planning on doing it black on the bottom, and white on the top. To get the black, I had the thought to get it powdercoated with some other stuff getting coated at the same time, then painting the top white after. I've heard that powdercoat makes a good base. Obviously I'm not a knowledgeable painter, so I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, and how to go about it.

randy lahey said:
I'm almost at the stage of painting my gas tank. I'm planning on doing it black on the bottom, and white on the top. To get the black, I had the thought to get it powdercoated with some other stuff getting coated at the same time, then painting the top white after. I've heard that powdercoat makes a good base. Obviously I'm not a knowledgeable painter, so I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, and how to go about it.
You can.... or your powdercoater can do it two tone. Either way, have another burger and calm down. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct, powder is done as a base for paint by many painters. Once cured it can be treated the same as paint by color sanding and polishing to bring to a mirror finish. I have found paint to be quite a bit more expensive than paint, so it might be cheaper to have the powder coater do the 2 tone.

And of course some tanks are two piece tanks. My PC guy has seen them fall into the two pieces in the oven.....

TheCoffeeGuy said:
And of course some tanks are two piece tanks. My PC guy has seen them fall into the two pieces in the oven.....

I doubt it was a tank made in the last 50 years. The only way I see that happening is if the tank was originally soldered together. Don't know of any tanks since the 70's that were made that way.

The place I go to for power is an industrial shop that they basically throw it in with the next batch, so I don't exactly get a custom finish, just black. But it is cheap. Figure just use a spray bomb on top of the powder after scuffing it. I'm just not sure if I should use a primer, or an adhesion promoter, or any recommended brands of spray paint.

Back
Top Bottom