81 cb650 cam question

rev.chuck

so i tore my bike down for some new gaskets. flat blacked the engine polished a few things..

and then i broke the the cam gear mount ear off... im sure you can guess how i tightened one side down then when tightening the other side it torqued and broke.. rookie mistake i knew better.

at any rate i yanked it off welded the ear back on (yes i know its cast) did it with my mig welder. seems these cams are hard to come by if i buy used i then have to worry about the wear on the cam journals. which could create a different problem of its own.

my main question is balance. are these cams balanced if so will my weld job, which i ground down as close to original as possible cause my cam to be off to such a degree it will cause issue's

my secondary question is based off my own assumptions and im just wondering if the idea behind them sound plausably correct.

seeing as how the cam gear mounts it looks as if the bolts just hold the cam gear from rotating freely, it cant wobble even with 1 bolt in it. it cant become off kilter because of how it fits onto the cam (very snugly i might add). so i really dont see how there is much stress on these bolt's basically just rotating mass. i think it will be ok welded together some thread lock for extra measure.

what do ya think ?

btw my names chuck and this is what im building

thanks for any replys

balance wont be an issue, but you can't securely weld cast iron with steel ,so be warned
the bike is not my cuppa but whatever floats yer bobber hahah
better check the rear tire clearance at full bump and dam that seat is gonna be painful :eek:
above all get out and ride !

Back
Top Bottom