Cb400 bobber thing

bimjobabob

Hello!
First time on a forum, I apologise in advance if I do something wrong or disliked!

I bought a jap imported cb400 luxury custom a few months ago with the intension to chop it up, nice bike good condition runs well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 323
Started taking off bits and bobs, then chopped the tail frame section off!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 438
That thing already looks like a bobber. Interested to see where this goes, been seeing some cool bobbers outside the shop recently

Also, welcome! :D

It's a case of posting what I've done so far but my phone is struggling to load up the photos! So I'm having do do it all in bits.

Made some suspension mounts an welded them up, excuse the welds I'm new to welding! They're definitely on there though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 409
This my first bike build, so its a learning experience for me but I must say it's outrageously fun! I can't stop looking at the bike and coming up with ideas for all sorts! Got some renthal bars in the shed that I've slapped on upside down, a new little speedo with all the idiot lights built in... All wired up and working!
The forks are air assisted, I want to shorten them down but have no idea where to start and can't find much about them online. So for now I've lowered them down in the clamps so I can see what it will look like when I do get round to shortening them. forgive me - I have no idea of the correct terminology for a lot of parts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 294
I got rid of the tacho, then made a plug out of the existing cable parts (drilled it out, tapped and stuck an allen bolt in there with some epoxy, might remake something nicer somewhere down the line!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 309
Got some pod filters on there! Found an xl185 tank on eBay, needs som tlc but no leaks, got some rust removing stuff and tank liner for the inside!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 2,347
Nice work so far. I had one of these as a first bike too. Nice Idea on the taco plug. I may be going to a digital guage and was wondering what to do about that. May just steal that Idea.

Welcome to DTT

Cheers

Maritime said:
Nice work so far. I had one of these as a first bike too. Nice Idea on the taco plug. I may be going to a digital guage and was wondering what to do about that. May just steal that Idea.

Welcome to DTT

Cheers

Cheers very much!
Your welcome to the idea! Use it! Attack it!

Had an idea about what to do with the electric mess and battery, the battery is huge!!!! And heavy. I'd like to buy a little motobatt or shorai jobby someday, but for now I've made this out of a fire extinguisher I had in the shed, it's pretty big and funky looking, but the battery fits in there real snug with all the electric components, got a reall small tail light wired up but haven't made a bracket for it and the licence plate yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    960.5 KB · Views: 282
Got the extinguisher attached then de-tabbed some more of the frame, took the collector box and mufflers off (got some juicy silencers on the way) getting somewhere!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 397
Good job on the battery box. You'll want to drill a couple holes in the bottom (to let any water drain out) and a few in the front and back for airflow. Locking all your electronics up in a nearly sealed box can end up with melted bits or even a fire.

VonYinzer said:
Good job on the battery box. You'll want to drill a couple holes in the bottom (to let any water drain out) and a few in the front and back for airflow. Locking all your electronics up in a nearly sealed box can end up with melted bits or even a fire.

Cheers!
Got some holes in the bottom for drainage, never gave any thought to drilling some in the front for air flow, will be doing now! Thanks for the advice! Still have to mount the rectifier/regulator on the outside somewhere.

THe rr is the main one to need airflow so you may not need too many holes other than that, I assume you left the CDI up next to the coils under the tank so all that is in the box is fuses and starter solinoide? Can't remember what else there is on the bike. You could put a small computer fan in it and put a hole in the front with screen and one of the back to pull air through and hide the RR in there too and keep it really clean.

That's about it up to date. On toor in Scandinavia since the beginning of may, don't get back till end of June and can't wait to get back to attack a whole pile of ideas for it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 280
Maritime said:
THe rr is the main one to need airflow so you may not need too many holes other than that, I assume you left the CDI up next to the coils under the tank so all that is in the box is fuses and starter solinoide? Can't remember what else there is on the bike. You could put a small computer fan in it and put a hole in the front with screen and one of the back to pull air through and hide the RR in there too and keep it really clean.

Yep left the cdi up front under the tank.
Good idea about a computer fan, I think I'm gonna redo a lot of it again when I get back. Buy a small, light, easy to place battery and make a new tank type case (the extinguisher looks huge) then scrutinise the wiring loom, make it real tidy!
I can imagine it never being a finished bike, always a new idea better than the last!

there is a lot of extra wire you do not need in the factory loom. Honda is great at running stuff way longer and then tieing it all up in the headlight bucket. I am doing a CX right now and it has a similar wiring scheme as the CB450 you have, I hope to clean it up a bunch too.

Back
Top Bottom