My 1974 cb360 café project

dgguia

Picked this bitchin bike for 500 bucks off an old friend with to many projects on his hand. He told me that the mechanic said all it needed to run was a coil pack. So I replaced both from MikesXS, I figured while I'm replacing that I should replace the condenser from common motor and sparkplug, boot , and wires. But anyways there's more to the story, this how the bike looked

82b4011bee55bfb3e220dd5d15e003f2.jpg
3ac365321133c4170d680795726d2d9b.jpg
9d1388085f8cf439921ef44c20bfc34d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Glad you're in the business of saving lives. Welcome to the fold.

I do however have a couple of questions
Why does the front tire rub more to the right and not centered
And I'm new to all this carb stuff the bikes been sitting going on two years now, should I do a rebuild? He also mentioned installing bigger jets? not really sure what that means but any help would be great thanks ahead
More pics to come in a bit

Thanks man I've had nothing but resurrections since my first car

dgguia said:
I do however have a couple of questions
Why does the front tire rub more to the right and not centered
And I'm new to all this carb stuff the bikes been sitting going on two years now, should I do a rebuild? He also mentioned installing bigger jets? not really sure what that means but any help would be great thanks ahead
More pics to come in a bit

Assuming it's the stock carb setup, then you're running CV carbs. That shorty exhaust on there and velocity stacks or pods requires some rejetting amongst other things to those carbs. The front axle should have spacers to center the wheel. The speedo drive gear is on the right side. If the PO removed it, then you'll need a spacer to take up the gap. If the spacers are installed on the wrong side, than that could be your issue.

Edit: I just looked back at your pic. The front wheel is backwards. Rotor goes on left side and speedo gear on right.

Forgot to mention I changed that around I noticed a picture on google but even then I'm still having the same issue I think it's because of how fat of a tire. I read that the bike is suppose to be 3.50 by 18 this is 4.50 front and back as for the spacers I bought one on eBay and there both the same. Their is only one spacer for the front

Right, one spacer on the left because of the speedo gear on the right. I'm thinking you said the tire is rubbing on one side. It can certainly be too fat, but if it's to one side, than it's not spaced correctly. The wheel should be centered in the forks.

One thing I actually just noticed was this axle for the front has two washers and mine does not. I'll take a look it at it tomorrow, but I was pretty sure the spacer simply slides in till it can't go no more than the nuts just gets screwed locking everything in place essentially. I have to check for spark tomorrow I might as well double check the wheel for the 50th time. Any tips on starting on a motorcycle that's been sitting too long, is starting fluid fine?

Looks like the rear swinger has been stretched? You may want to look things over. The angle of the shocks combined with the low clearance of the seat-to-rear tire is a definite cause for concern.

Pull the plugs and put a few cc's of Marvel mystery oil in the chambers. If you can start it without starting fluid, it's best because the ether clears away oil from the cylinder walls. Prime the motor first, if it hasn't run in a while, to make sure you get the oil flowing. These bikes are notorious for burning up their heads, so you don't want to contribute to the problem.

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
Looks like the rear swinger has been stretched? You may want to look things over. The angle of the shocks combined with the low clearance of the seat-to-rear tire is a definite cause for concern.

It's been stretched 5 inches. As for the seat it's not mounted just placed. I had to fab up some brackets to have it sit higher up. I'm also looking into getting cb750 shocks there slightly bigger than 340mm which I think would be fine I'm at 320 if I'm not mistaken

irk miller said:
Pull the plugs and put a few cc's of Marvel mystery oil in the chambers. If you can start it without starting fluid, it's best because the ether clears away oil from the cylinder walls. Prime the motor first, if it hasn't run in a while, to make sure you get the oil flowing. These bikes are notorious for burning up their heads, so you don't want to contribute to the problem.

This is going to sound dumb if u don't want to reply I get it but when u say prime? Exactly how do I do that? if not I'll look into it tomorrow thanks again

dgguia said:
This is going to sound dumb if u don't want to reply I get it but when u say prime? Exactly how do I do that? if not I'll look into it tomorrow thanks again

Kick it over with the kickstarter 10 times or so without starting it. Not hard kicks. Just enough to turn the motor over. Helps get fuel flowing, but more importantly it gets the oil flowing.

irk miller said:
Kick it over with the kickstarter 10 times or so without starting it. Not hard kicks. Just enough to turn the motor over. Helps get fuel flowing, but more importantly it gets the oil flowing.

Ok I get wat ur saying I'll give it a shot tomorrow thanks

So I went home tried to kickstart it and nothing I checked for spark and there is spark on the left the right seems kind of weak. I have fuel coming out of the pet cock I just don't know how to check if the fuel is getting into the carb or not.

By the way this bike is kickstart only no more electric start

Other than that bad news I rewired the motorcycle for kick start only. Previous owner told me that it didn't work and he always kickstarted it anyways so why not I thought. I found a diagram on google of a simple wire harness. Always on headlight, no turn signals, tailight, stator, rectifier, and ignition switch
19c83f9dfa3ba8d770298eb61f45e09d.gif
4fc9e4a3b09bb7752fd9ff38ac1b8935.jpg
3bce73414ddbe669de0a8eb61cf7e145.png

This last picture isn't of my motorcycle I forgot to take pictures, I used this as a reference since this is all a first for me I did however take pictures of the bike with the lights running
5befa9d8691196b416b0c84ad7cdb1b0.jpg
5272525592796fcad38da6fceaa1524a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom