starter clutch sprocket refinishing

doc_rot

Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
The starter clutch sprocket on my KZ750 is worn with ripples where the rollers engage. I cannot seem to find a replacement, unless I want to buy used cranks, fingers crossed only to find out they have the same issue. I assume the sprocket is hardened which means that the surface will have to be ground. IF i could find a place to do that for me, it would likely be prohibitively expensive. and thats a big "if" i called 12-15 shops locally to have a hardened bushing bored out not long ago and they all turned me down.
suggestions?

What does the part look like and does it need to be ground out to a new size and if so, do you have a hardened bush to press in? Or is it the shaft that's worn and can it be ground down and then have a needle bearing sleeve pressed over the ground shaft?

I know the problem, CB900 has same issue. You will probably have to take a bunch of measurements and find centre section from a different bike then cut/weld bits. It's too long ago since I worked on KZ750 twins, but I was working at Suzuki-Yamah dealers at the time. Luckily there are not too many different diameters, you may get lucky and find a replacement from Suzuki or Yamaha, they tend to have some parts that interchange even though they 'shouldn't'. Maybe GS1000 or 1100? You may nee a different bush running on crank though

These photos arent mine but they illustrate what i need. I dont think i need the machined ridges for it to work well, but i cant have the ripples.

Attachments

• s-l16004_2017-05-22.jpg
    s-l16004_2017-05-22.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 170
  • StarterClutchGearComparision.jpg
    StarterClutchGearComparision.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 177
That one doesn't look too bad (at least in picture?) I've had Honda ones in much worse condition that polished up well enough to keep bike running another 6 months~year while owner looked or waited for a new one (and decided not to change it until it failed again ::) )

Yeah mines much worse than that

Back
Top Bottom