Project X-Mass - Wiring sucess! Ready to move ahead

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
So as seen in the latest purchase thread we scored a deal on a running but ruff 86 LT185 wheeler for my son for Cristmass. I have it hidden under a buddies porch a few miles from the house and will go get it Christmas eve. Under the tree will be a box, with stuff we will need to bring the bike back to like new and reliable/safe. So far I have paints, oil filter, spark plug, user manual on cd with the first 35 pages of routine maintenance, we will do every service listed and record them to get it back to ship shape. Plan is to get him to do all of the needed work with me just supervising and doing anything he can't like free up stuck bolts. etc. Some pics: first is the bike the day I picked it up and stashed it. The next are the gift box so far. Oh yes and there is some DTT swag in there I got from Rocketman here on the site.

Attachments

• 2013-11-17_16-06-46_263.jpg
    2013-11-17_16-06-46_263.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 394
  • 2013-12-03_20-55-26_398.jpg
    2013-12-03_20-55-26_398.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 385
  • 2013-12-03_20-55-58_914.jpg
    2013-12-03_20-55-58_914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 389
Re: Project X-Mass - 86 LT185 for the Kid

What an awesome present, he'll love that. Definitely will be a gift he'll always remember.

Hope so, he had a dirtbike project we got running but never got to the brakes etc and it was just too big for him, I sold that to fund this but he doesn't know about it so he was really sad about the dirt bike cause he figured he could ride it next year. He has been scouring Kijiji for wheelers and dirt bikes but they are always too expensive LOL. The hardest part is keeping it a secret. He will be able to ride it on Christmas day, then we will do the regular maintenance on it and he can ride it till it gets really cold, then we will make it pretty for spring mud runs

Very cool Mike. As always, if ya need anything I have just hollar.

Thanks Jussy, I hope he likes it and I hope we can keep it a secret until Christmas.

Re: Project X-Mass - 86 Bayou 185 for the Kid

So the Wheeler was a huge hit, he can't wait to dig in. Funny thing though, it's a kawasaki Bayou 185, even though the paperwork I got said it was a suzuki. Border guards in 92 didn't know the diff as the vin is correct on the paperwork when it was imported, good thing I only bookmarked the engine parts LOL, so anyone need a NOS suzuki oil flilter? We spent boxing day doing an oil change, spark plug, and battery install. Tested it, all seemed good. didn't do valves because I got the wrong user manual due to thinking it was a suzi.
Anyway we got out to the 27 acres of fields and woods of Grand-dads place and rode the piss out of it for 4+ hours, until there must have been a short cause some wires decided to catch fire and burn all the insulation off, so the tear down is happening new years day. Will get some pics up then and have a vid of the family enjoying I need to upload.

Ok. Had a few with magoo to tear into the wheeler. We got.the plastics off. The reason for the burned wire was po bypassed the fuse and hard wired so it burned up. We got it close to removed. Pics:

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388969759372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388969759372.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 363
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388969778792.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388969778792.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 377

There is a few broken bits and had to cut a few of the phillips heads that the impact driver couldn't get out. I found a stainless bolt kit for this bike on ebay for like 40 bucks and may pull the trigger on that so I don't have to try and find all the replacement fasteners when re-assembly starts, Going to see if we can repair some of the cracks in the plastic. not sure if we will do the zip tie stiches, or try fiberglass. I have some resin and mat left over from the CX so I may use that and see how it works. The wiring isn't too bad, once I replace the cooked bits and put a new fuse holder in etc. we should be good.

Project X-Mass - 86 Bayou 185 for the Kid

This is so cool! Dad of the year definetely ;)
I have to drag dad into the garage or tempt him with beer to get him to look over my work or help trouble shoot haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL thanks, I found quite a bit of sketchy connections but I think the harness can be saved with some wire, solder and heat shrink. There was at least 3 places it coudl have shorted. I got the cover all off and it's on the bench for a good look over, this weekend will see some progress I hope.

Well it has been a few weeks I guess. Between broken cars and a broken rib, havn't gotten a lot done. We did get to work on it some on Sunday, Removed some more parts, William cleaned up the bumper, battery box, fuel tank etc. I pulled apart a front hub I noticed the grease seals for the bearings were in backwards, so I thought the bearings may be toast, but after I got the seals out, there was a nice, fairly new set of sealed bearings, so cleaned up the hub, put seals back in right way around and re mounted, good to go. I tested the paint on the battery box and unfortunatly it really stinks, just as bad as the spray version, so we got yelled at and had to stop LOL. Mamma was a little mad at us. so we will have to wait until it warms up enough to paint in the garage. Maybe on March break I can borrow the dad-in-laws propane heater and get it done. Want to get this thing back together to have some fun!

Update, so while perusing the local e-classifieds for potential parts, I find a complete wheeler with a bad fuel pump for 400 bones, plastic is in perfect shape compared to this, seat is like brand new etc. I can buy that one and swap the fuel pump from mine, continue fixing up this one and we can ride the other, then, when we are done the other I have discovered that the bayou 220 has almost identical frame and when they put rear shocks on those the moved the fuel tank to infront of the sink, petcock instead of fuel pump....Mmmm can cut the already broken plastic, mount a 220 tank, remove the old tank and not need a pump. a 220 tank goes for 40 bucks on fleebay. 2 wheelers have got to be better than 1.

Woot, guy still has it and will take 350 for it. has a brand new battery and carb so those 2 with the good fenders etc. makes 350 worth every penny.

well we tinkered some more on the weekend. I got the wiring all put back to factory spec. but having issues. Head and tail light work, I compoletely re-built the kill switch and starter button, wires are all good and test correctly (I think) with the meter. But it isn't working. Turn the key getting power everywhere I think needs to be, in neutral, starter won't turn when you hit the button. I replaced the neutral and reverse indicator lights with a set from the CX, but they don't light. The PO had rigged up a scetchy push button that bypassed the neutral safety so I am wondering if that is bad? it is sending 12 volts to the light socket but the light isn't coming on?? I love wiring. Big thing is I have no diagram pr manual. Haven't been able to find one. OH well we will get it eventually, I always do.

Well after a few hours with the laptop and a multimeter, 2-3 blown fuses, I figured out that A - the neutral indicator is bad. B - it needs to work to start the bike unless C - you figure out how to bypass it ;D So the wiring can now be buttoned back up, now to decide, do I throw it back together to ride until it warms up to finish painting, or do we keep it apart and see if we can paint it soon? I think since it really only take a couple hours to completely strip it, we will button it back up and ride the thing. Spring break is coming and I think he should have it to tool around and get out of the house while not at school. I didn't take any pics but will once the wiring is buttoned back up.

Does it work if you just ground the wire running to the neutral indicator?

basically yes. the neutral indicator completes the ground to the start button, starter relay etc. so I just need to ground them each instead and it bypasses the whole shebang and allows the starter to work etc. Just need to get the thing back on the wheels and rolled outside to fire it up and see for sure but I got it to turn over etc.

Back
Top Bottom