CV carbs and pod filters

Thanks Thunderchild for this post just what I needed.

Tried to find a slide carb that would fit my cbf250 (cbx250 twister for S & N America) but not enough space or wrong sided/type cable/pulley.

Was doing my head in.

bth_newairbox_zpsea3e379c.jpg

Went with Juans idea with the hose and it works so far without the filter. Going to pick up a filter tomorrow so hopefully all good. Hose might need a chop though to tidy it up.

tjgonz said:
BIKE RUNS AMAZING & HAS THAT JETTED FEELING & SOUND WITHOUT JETTING!
Its been about 2 weeks with no issues so far, guess it is just the right amount of air for my carbs.

JUST MY 2 CENTS MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE BUT SAVED MY BROKE ASS.
THANKS AGAIN!

I don't know what kind of super hearing you have, but jets don;t make any sound at all (The jets in the carb not the Boeing Type).

The sound people hear with pods is the intake noise, which often can exceed exhaust volume.

The EMGO brand pods are so small in surface area, that they not only mess up the flow as far as smoothness, they are actually more restrictive then the factory air filter.

I had UNI 4 inch pods on my CB360 up to last week. The jetting was stock, and the bike ran fine. No rejetting....

I have replaced the pods with the factory airbox, more for the intake silencing then the filtering. Remember, the factory airbox on 350's and 360's are interconnected, so each cylinder draws from both filters. Those 2 factory filters have far more surface area then those little EMGO pods. The UNI sock type pods are better for surface area and low restriction, but those shiny little EMGO's and there clones are a total waste of time. they look nice, but could never deliver better performance then stock or good pods.

In the range of performance enhancements, those small EMGO pods are the lowest, actually decreasing the pumping efficiency of the motor.

just an addition here to what everyone has already stated.

sir sonreir covered what you need to do to actually "calculate" the correct length for your moto

basically what you need to do (or not) is calculate the correct intake length for your moto

he covers everything you need to complete this calculation, post #55
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39814.45

thanks all!

Anyone who want's to remove airbox on later (3 valve per cyl) 400 or 450 twin can check if carbs are drilled for 2 or 3 jets.
Most have a primary main jet and a secondary main jet plus a pilot (slow) jet but some have only secondary main jet and pilot jet.
They all have air cut valves which need to be checked for damaged diaphragms and stuck plungers
The two jet Kei-Hin are easy to fix but the three jet are a lot more involved
This also applies to CX500 and CB750/900 dohc

This is awesome, I just picked up a 1980 cb 900 that didnt have the airbox on it. A quick google search and this pops up. Perfect low tech fix!

redahtamn said:
just an addition here to what everyone has already stated.

sir sonreir covered what you need to do to actually "calculate" the correct length for your moto

basically what you need to do (or not) is calculate the correct intake length for your moto

he covers everything you need to complete this calculation, post #55
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39814.45

thanks all!

Just bookmarked that.

I'm thinking instead of beer can maybe i can cram a velocity stack into a filter... I should just buy real carbs but if i dont like the bike and just sell it right away thats $400 for nothing hahaha

Glad to see people making these work. Too many people get a hot head with people who want to use pods. If you can make it work do it, if it looks cool do it, if it pisses off some jerk do it.

CV carbs and pod filters

cafemercenary said:
if it pisses off some jerk do it.

That's my main reason for doing most things hahaha. But while I want the look of pods I want my bike to run properly and pull properly as well.

Yep, to me it doesn't matter how cool it looks if will barely pull it's own weight

CV carbs and pod filters

My other concern is how they act if you get caught in a downpour? I've heard bad things. That applies regardless of carb type. If I'm half way through a bc trip and get caught in the rain I can't just leave the bike if it shits itself because the pods are soaked

Re: CV carbs and pod filters

D4N63R said:
That's my main reason for doing most things hahaha. But while I want the look of pods I want my bike to run properly and pull properly as well.

can you look at your'e carbs while riding ? that must hurt yer neck,mate :(

CV carbs and pod filters

I believe it is the look while hard parked trying to be much cooler then everyone else. Ha.

I've always just kept my side covers. But this time around my exhaust and left side cover don't get along.

Don't mean to thread hijack or anything but I thought this might be a little relevant to the discussion.

Since pods cause roughness of the air which effects the function of the CV carbs due to the vacuum-actuated slide, how would pods function on Mikuni VMs? Since the Mikuni's are cable-operated, would they work well with pods if properly jetted?

I'm currently working on a CL350 build and am trying to decide on whether or not to rebuild my CVs or just go for the Mikunis. I want my bike to run as well as possible, and it seems that pods and CVs are pretty at odds with each other. However, I also don't want to run the bulky, stock air boxes... If pods and Mikuni's get along, I'll probably go that route.

CV carbs and pod filters

Once you switch to mikunis all your troubles disappear. They are very pod friendly.

Pods on cv carbs, cm450 http://youtu.be/rDqecyq6vL8 pm me n I'll share the secret!!!

CV carbs and pod filters

D4N63R said:
Once you switch to mikunis all your troubles disappear. They are very pod friendly.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if not, thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no matter what carbs you have, small pods are a horsepower sucker
if you care about performance you will run the airbox or the largest FILTER you can stand to have on there as you look at yourself riding by in the shop windows

Back
Top Bottom